Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob[_66_] View Post
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

Incandescent bulbs will burn no more | The Chronicle Herald
The real question is: Why would anyone want to use an incandescent bulb when CFL's and LED's will provide the same amount of light at a lower cost.?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I saw a pile of 57 watt bulbs at a store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 01:19 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I saw a pile of 57 watt bulbs at a store.

Somewhere, I remember seeing an odd-wattage bulb like that. It was meant
for use in traffic lights.

BTW, most of those (traffic lights) seem to use LED arrays now. I
suppose because they last longer.

--
12 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"All great ideas are dangerous." -- Oscar Wilde
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-13, Mark Lloyd wrote:
BTW, most of those (traffic lights) seem to use LED arrays now. I
suppose because they last longer.

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic
light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident
due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2014 3:50 PM, Roger Blake wrote:

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic
light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident
due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.

Someone came up with a small heater, so
that helps keep the snow off. Like the
old filament bulbs, but costs more.

First they came for the 100 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 100 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 75 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 75 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 60 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 60 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for me.
And there was no one left to speak up for me.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 16:36:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

First they came for the 100 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 100 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 75 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 75 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 60 watt light bulbs.
I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 60 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for me.
And there was no one left to speak up for me.

Did you read the Warrant? Demand "they" show it?

Get off my lawn and don't come back ... I'll bring trespassing charges
against you. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2014-12-13, Mark Lloyd wrote:
BTW, most of those (traffic lights) seem to use LED arrays now. I
suppose because they last longer.

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic
light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident
due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.

That's one I hadn't considered. Sometimes the heat (from an incandescent
bulb) is good for something.

However, wouldn't a snow-blocked light look like one with a power
failure? Around here, people treat those as 4-way stops.

--
11 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/14, 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending
bill, there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on
incandescents.

This from :
http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

"Old fashioned light bulbs still allowed: The bill blocks new energy
efficient standards that would have made incandescent light bulbs
obsolete. Consumers had complained about the new requirements."
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/12/2014 1:21 PM, Retired wrote:

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending bill,
there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on incandescents.

Unfortunately, the ship has already sailed I'm afraid...it seems
unlikely to me any manufacturer will pick up production from closed
facilities presuming even the restriction riders do stand up (which I'd
not put much faith in altho anything is theoretically possible in that
regard)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 12/12/2014 1:21 PM, Retired wrote:

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending bill,
there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on incandescents.

Unfortunately, the ship has already sailed I'm afraid...it seems unlikely
to me any manufacturer will pick up production from closed facilities
presuming even the restriction riders do stand up (which I'd not put much
faith in altho anything is theoretically possible in that regard)

some Malaysian factory will forego the possibility of selling items
consumers want? BAH!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 11:39 AM, Reggie wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 12/12/2014 1:21 PM, Retired wrote:

Maybe in Canada, but if the US Senate passes the current spending bill,
there is an amendment in it that cancels the US ban on incandescents.

Unfortunately, the ship has already sailed I'm afraid...it seems unlikely
to me any manufacturer will pick up production from closed facilities
presuming even the restriction riders do stand up (which I'd not put much
faith in altho anything is theoretically possible in that regard)

some Malaysian factory will forego the possibility of selling items
consumers want? BAH!

Or the Chinese! Bulbs with a lifespan of two weeks and that
smell like cat pee when hot!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 05:31 PM, Todd wrote:

[snip]
Or the Chinese! Bulbs with a lifespan of two weeks and that
smell like cat pee when hot!

Very hot, and give off unnatural yellowish light. You can get WHITE CFL
and LED lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:07:28 -0500, Bob wrote:

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

Maybe I can kill me some baby seals with a club; render that blubber,
and kill whales with my harpoon. Store up some lamp oil for future
use.

What if we all riot and enter stores to put the bulbs back on the
shelf...?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:07:28 -0500, Bob wrote:

The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

Maybe I can kill me some baby seals with a club; render that blubber,
and kill whales with my harpoon. Store up some lamp oil for future
use.

What if we all riot and enter stores to put the bulbs back on the
shelf...?

Or you could just **** somebuddy's mother.
Don't forget about that.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 12, 2014 2:07:33 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I bought a gross of 100, 60, and 40 when they started banning them, which should last my lifetime.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 writes:

On Friday, December 12, 2014 2:07:33 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

I bought a gross of 100, 60, and 40 when they started banning them, which should last my lifetime.

I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs.

I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime.

Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing.
What's not to like?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

| I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs.
|
| I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime.
|
| Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing.
| What's not to like?

Besides the price? I guess we'll just have to wait
and see. And of course it depends on how old you
are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:14:56 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
| I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs.
|
| I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime.
|
| Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing.
| What's not to like?

Besides the price? I guess we'll just have to wait
and see. And of course it depends on how old you
are.

They are down to $5, which certainly seems affordable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

Never tell me what to do, bob.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Good thing most of us have some CFLs that are still going strong
for those uses.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

True, but in the rarely visitd room the existing bulb will last for
decades. I have a couple like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

True, but in the rarely visitd room the existing bulb will last for
decades. I have a couple like that.

I am not going to put an expensive LED into a closet I never use when the
existing bulb goes out.

I do use LEDs in places that are hard to get to for changing bulbs, and
where the bulbs have a high duty cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

No worries, just pay $40 a bulb for a closet.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:54:53 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

No worries, just pay $40 a bulb for a closet.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

I just saw some basic 60W LEDS at HD that were $5, more choices now under $10.
They are rapidly coming down in price. They even have LED retrofits for 6"
recessed ceiling lights for $15 now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Why?

cost. where have you been?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 08:41:32 -0800, "Reggie"
wrote:

.. .

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Why?

cost. where have you been?

Hmmm... You sound a little defensive there. Or are you always just rude?

In any case, for a 60W bulb, the difference between an LED & an
incandescent is a few dollars, right? Over, say, 10 years, that's less
than $0.50/year. Doesn't seem worth the time it took to post your
opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2014 11:33 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Why?

Payback. Or lack of it. If a bulb burns a few hours a day, you want to
save as much as possible. Often, the closet light is on a minute while
you grab the blue jacket instead of the black one. It will take many
years, possibly decades, to pay back the $10 bulb with the savings. The
living room lamp that is on 12 hours a day will save you real money with
an LED.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 17:28:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/14/2014 11:33 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Why?

Payback. Or lack of it. If a bulb burns a few hours a day, you want to
save as much as possible. Often, the closet light is on a minute while
you grab the blue jacket instead of the black one. It will take many
years, possibly decades, to pay back the $10 bulb with the savings. The
living room lamp that is on 12 hours a day will save you real money with
an LED.

Illogical. First, it's more like $5 or even less. Second, the savings is
not per minute of use, but per year of use (on or off). If the bulb is
going to last 10-20 years, saving $4-$5 is pennies/year and not worth my
time to even consider. But then you know what your time is worth.

But then I don't think this is really about money. I think it's about a
bunch of anti-government reactionaries digging in their heels where they
can. Fox news viewers, for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2014 04:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Payback. Or lack of it. If a bulb burns

[snip]

Interestingly, an incandescent filament is in a sealed bulb with
(ideally) no oxygen so it WON'T burn. When the filament burns it stops
working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:33:29 -0500, wrote:

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

not for a room or closet you rarely visit.

Why?

Two issues. Cost vs payback period and the fact that CFLs will fail
sooner if they are turned on and off a lot. Again it affects your
payback time. You eat many hours of expected service every time you do
an off on cycle.

A. Do rational people really spend time worrying about the difference of
a few dollars for one light bulb in a closet? I'd just leave the bulb
that's in there in there until it burns out, if it ever does, then
replace it with an LED, which will probably be much cheaper by then.
Even if I only live in that house for 10 years, the difference is just
pennies a year.

B. How did CFLs get into this discussion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2014 2:53 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
A. Do rational people really spend time worrying about the difference of
a few dollars for one light bulb in a closet? I'd just leave the bulb
that's in there in there until it burns out, if it ever does, then
replace it with an LED, which will probably be much cheaper by then.
Even if I only live in that house for 10 years, the difference is just
pennies a year.

B. How did CFLs get into this discussion?

It's not about light bulb control.

It's about control.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Of course not. Rational people will follow your dictates to the letter,
without question or hesitation. Thank you for your benevolent and infinite
wisdom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 06:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

Hi Ed,

They said the same thing about CFL's. In theory it
is the case, except that they packed the crappies
electronics they could find on them and the bulbs
(the electronics, not the bulb) would go out
in the same time as an incandescent, making them
a ton more expensive to run.

White LED's require heat ventilation or they will slowly
stop emitting light. Design that badly to cut costs
and place crappy electronics on them and I can see
LED burning out in record time, also making them
a ton more expensive to run.

If anyone knows of a good LED brand that does not do this,
I would love to hear.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

Well, I've had too much experience with the ones that do behave as you
state - but with the LEDs it is the LEDs that are failing, not the
electronics. Crappy construction with poor heat sinking appears to be
the problem, I've got 7 mr16 type bulbs on a light strip.I wewnt
through at least 3 sets of 3X3 watt cree units, ans 2 sets of 4X3
watt, and 1 1/2 sets of COB type units in the last 3 years, after
having halogens last over 8 years. Voltage is not the problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

When white LED's get hot they slowly stop putting out
light. They still draw the same amount of current, just
no light.

Without the proper heat sink, you are just wasting your money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

It's best the led runs just slightly warm. When they are attached to a heat
sink, the led die usually is hotter than the heat sink. I always look at
led truck or bus stoplights. Many of them fail. They can really run too hot
in the sun.

I just put up an led fixture over the sink. It's supposed to be 60 watt
replacement, but lumens is on the low end just over 600. It seems ok, as
the whole fixture is some kind of metal, which is just slightly warm. As
long as the control circuit keeps working, I expect long life.

Greg

Hoarding issues Brian Gaff[_2_] UK diy 8 June 25th 14 01:06 PM
Finally an alternative to incandescents? Nate Nagel Home Repair 133 May 25th 13 05:19 AM
Hoarding? Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 29 November 9th 12 01:37 AM
CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538 David Nebenzahl Home Repair 141 August 31st 09 10:00 PM
5500 watt elec hot water heater - 5000 watt generator spam disintegrator Home Repair 31 January 6th 07 01:48 PM