Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

Todd wrote:
On 12/12/2014 06:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2014 2:07 PM, Bob wrote:
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever.
Beginning Jan. 1, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to
disappear from store shelves.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...l-burn-no-more

No need for them. LED is far superior

Hi Ed,

They said the same thing about CFL's. In theory it
is the case, except that they packed the crappies
electronics they could find on them and the bulbs
(the electronics, not the bulb) would go out
in the same time as an incandescent, making them
a ton more expensive to run.

White LED's require heat ventilation or they will slowly
stop emitting light. Design that badly to cut costs
and place crappy electronics on them and I can see
LED burning out in record time, also making them
a ton more expensive to run.

If anyone knows of a good LED brand that does not do this,
I would love to hear.

-T

It's best the led runs just slightly warm. When they are attached to a heat
sink, the led die usually is hotter than the heat sink. I always look at
led truck or bus stoplights. Many of them fail. They can really run too hot
in the sun.

I just put up an led fixture over the sink. It's supposed to be 60 watt
replacement, but lumens is on the low end just over 600. It seems ok, as
the whole fixture is some kind of metal, which is just slightly warm. As
long as the control circuit keeps working, I expect long life.

Greg