Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 10:13:27 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:
4-packs are on sale now at HD for either $1.39
or $1.59. I don't remember exactly, but they're
cheap. I've got plenty of 75s and 100s to last
for a long time. And I have 40s for hall lights. I
never did use 60s. But if anyone wants 60s, this
is the time to stock up.

Many people mistakenly think incandescent are
illegal to use, because the electric company stuck
them with flourescent bulbs after doing an energy
audit.

Energy audit? If some people think it's illegal to use
incandescents, it's likely because they are confusing the
fact that it's illegal to manufacture them, import them,
with using them. And I haven't seen any of those folks
myself.

I get customers who ask if there's a better
solution for their kitchen recessed lights on dimmers
that keep burning out. I explain that fluorescent
are designed for uses where they're neither dimmed
nor turned on and off frequently and that they'd be
better off going back to incandescent. Then they
say, "Oh, I thought those were illegal".

I would take that to mean that they know it's illegal to manufacture
the most common incandescents and you generally can't buy the most
common ones anymore. And who knows which ones will
be illegal next.

It's amazing how much mis-information can persist
in a society with an allegedly free press.

There may be some confusion. But most people know the govt has
been banning and extending the ban on the most popular incandescent
lights. I don't see anyone here worried about using ones they already have.