Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Raccoon

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages. Comes in through cat door; scarfs up cat food; messes his water dish. We blocked up cat door; cat has to use window giving on dark yard; have it open minimum, but anxious-making.

Found raccoon in kitchen at night. BIG! Rushed out OPEN back door, brushing past my legs; no injury fortunately. So can't leave computer room door open for air at night.

OP has volunteered to kill it w/blow to head, but he doesn't realize how big and fierce they are. Also, first have to catch it!!

Point is: Why are RACCOONS -- biggest pest around -- "protected" !!!? I asked
Animal Shelter for help -- send someone to trap him, or lend me a cage. They said haven't done this for years. Gave me info about "protected" status. I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS PROTECTION!

Not ept enough to construct own cage, though have plans/descriptions. Cost of materials - have to be VERY strong. Ever see the CLAWS on those critters!

Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem. Other?

*******SPRAY SOMETHING ON STEPS THAT THEY ARE SAID TO AVOID. Anybody know a product?******

OK, end sob story. Excuse venting.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:59:43 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem. Other?

Shoot the *******. Gut and clean it, wrap two potatoes in foil and
stuff it. Bake at 375° F for an hour. Remove potatoes, throw the coon
out in the yard for the dogs.

Can't wait to help you with your next crisis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/14, 12:59 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

BTDT. Tried various scare tactics (motion sensor lite, pan of ammonia,
etc) Nothing worked. Finally got a trap. Bye bye raccoon.

Traps are cheap. $25 at Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch...rap-90218.html

Peanut butter is a good bait.

FWIW, in Colorado it was legal to release them only in the plains east
of I-25, not in the mountains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.

[....]

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature confined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. This one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of raccoon!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:38:07 PM UTC-7, Retired wrote:
On 8/13/14, 12:59 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.

[...]

*******SPRAY SOMETHING ON STEPS THAT THEY ARE SAID TO AVOID.

Anybody know a product?******

BTDT. Tried various scare tactics (motion sensor lite, pan of ammonia,

etc) Nothing worked. Finally got a trap. Bye bye raccoon.

Traps are cheap. $25 at Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch...rap-90218.html

Thanks. Someone from another NG mentioned them & I went there, but with s&H it comes to over $40.0. Have checked many other sources. If I have to buy large trap, I guess I will, but...

THERE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SOMETHING THEY CAN'T STAND THAT I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SPRAYING BEFORE SPENDING ALL THAT $$.

I found these on-line. If you used, pls post whether it worked or not. Thanks!

Spicy Deterrent
Many reviews will tell you that there is no such thing as a real raccoon repellent. If you've tried it all from sounds to other tactics, then you might as well try this one too. All you need is some really spicy sauce (tabasco or chilly), a gallon of water, and some regular detergent soap. Mix all the ingredients to prepare a spray. Put it in a spray can and spray it all around your garden. They cannot stand the smell, so they won't even get past the plants.

Hot Pepper Repellent
Here is another natural repellent that you can try out. Get yourself a chopped Jalapeño pepper, a chopped onion (yellow), and a tbsp. of cayenne pepper. Add these three to 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once it cools down, strain the liquid to remove the chunks of the peppers. Fill it in a spray can and spray away.

Granular Repellent
There are quite a few granular raccoon repellents available at pest-control outlets, which just have to be dusted around the area. They are made of substances like ammonia or predator urine. Raccoons sense the presence of their predators through the scent of the urine. And so, when they smell the granules, they mistake it for the predator and steer clear of that area.

Read more at Buzzle: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/raccoon-repellent.html

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.

[....]

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature confined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. This one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of raccoon!

We have four cats, none of them even want to go outside.
Trust me, if you ever see a cat hit by a car, you might change your mind.

--
Froz...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:00:14 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature confined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. This one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

I rescued and raised feral prison cats, they lived long prosperous and
luxury lives without a damn cat door. I simply opened the exit door
and allowed them to roam. None starved because of it. Maybe your cat
is just a pussy.

No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of raccoon!

So kill the damn coon and be done. You are already crazy so scratch
that off the list.

What is your crisis for Thursday & Friday?
Posted to alt.home.repair
JAS JAS is offline

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

They would probably deter your cat also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature confined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. This one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

I rescued and raised feral prison cats, they lived long prosperous and
luxury lives without a damn cat door. I simply opened the exit door
and allowed them to roam. None starved because of it. Maybe your cat
is just a pussy.

No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of raccoon!

So kill the damn coon and be done. You are already crazy so scratch
that off the list.

What is your crisis for Thursday & Friday?

Gardening group gave him plenty of answers which he ignored or said
Hav-a-hart traps were too expensive.
Senior Member

I would probably rent a friend's big dog for a week or so.

Use a "dog anchor", which is a big screw that screws into the ground to keep the dog in your yard, but on a leash long enough that he can wander wherever he/she wants, including to the back door. That will keep your cat inside and the raccoon outside.

Once the raccoon realizes that the cat's food and water is now protected by a big dog, he'll look for an easier meal somewhere else, and that shouldn't take longer than a week or so.

Feed the dog hamburger, and you'll both be happy with the arrangement.

Last edited by nestork : August 13th 14 at 11:38 PM

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2014 3:38 PM, Retired wrote:
BTDT. Tried various scare tactics (motion sensor lite, pan of ammonia,
etc) Nothing worked. Finally got a trap. Bye bye raccoon.

Traps are cheap. $25 at Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch...rap-90218.html

Peanut butter is a good bait.

FWIW, in Colorado it was legal to release them only in the plains east
of I-25, not in the mountains.

Legal to release them a couple feet under water?
--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2014 5:15 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

About twenty years ago, a friend of my Dad's got
tired of the squirrel in his bird feeder, so he
shot the squirrel. (Military vet, out in the
country, good backstop, nice and safe). Next
day he shot the next squirrel. And he gave up
after 300 squirrels.

Whatever you do to shoot, trap, scare, spray, or
motivate the raccoon. Please plan to do it every
day, forever.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem.
Other?

Shoot the *******. Gut and clean it, wrap two potatoes in foil and
stuff it. Bake at 375° F for an hour. Remove potatoes, throw the coon
out in the yard for the dogs.

Can't wait to help you with your next crisis.

That you Granny Clampett?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
[...]

I had one snatch our cats out the window. Likely killed one of them but
we'll never be sure. I hired a trapper. But unlike Billy The Exterminator,
here, they kill them. Trapper said it was the most viscous animal he'd ever
seen. I would never have a cat door here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem. Other?

Shoot the *******. Gut and clean it, wrap two potatoes in foil and
stuff it. Bake at 375° F for an hour. Remove potatoes, throw the coon
out in the yard for the dogs.

Can't wait to help you with your next crisis.

Those libs don't own guns. And they don't
believe in hurting cute, furry things like
little fuzzy racoons.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/13/2014 11:59 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

In my area we cannot kill them

but live trapping and relocating is OK

Take it at least 15 miles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

We have a doggie door , and we live out in the woods ... We had a problem
with 'coons eating the bird food , they climbed up that angle iron post like
it was a highway . Had might still have it video of the post shaking
around because there was a 'coon on top , the dog is wandering around
sniffing the ground , completely oblivious to the raccoon just 4 feet above
her . I suspect a younger dog might have tripped to the situation Goldie is
pretty old for her breed .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2014 9:20 PM, philo wrote:

In my area we cannot kill them

but live trapping and relocating is OK

Take it at least 15 miles

I'm remembering the story of the city on the west
side of the river, that had a major raccoon problem.
So they hired a firm to take care of it. They trapped
several thousand racoons, and moved them to the east
side of the river.

The next year, the city on the east side of the river
called the same trapping firm. They had a major raccoon
problem.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

1. Shoot
2. Shovel
3. Shut up

Where most people go wrong is step 3.

By the way, you know how annoyed you are that a nasty old raccoon dares trespass in your yard? We're just as annoyed you let your nasty old cat wander into our yard. It may be cute to you, but we didn't sign up to take care of your cat and repair the damage it does.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.

[....]

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature confined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of cats. This one in particular has a very independent personality. We tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of raccoon!

HB

Our house cat is basically an indoor creature. She'll occasionally sneak outside if we're not watching the door, but she'll go out about 15-20 feet, sit there for 5-10 minutes, then run back inside when she has a chance.

Vis-à-vis raccoons, I shoot the *******s on sight, although I rarely get a chance to see them.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:13:26 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/13/2014 5:15 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

THERE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SOMETHING THEY CAN'T STAND THAT I WOULD LIKE TO TRY SPRAYING BEFORE SPENDING ALL THAT $$.

I found these on-line. If you used, pls post whether it worked or not. Thanks!

Spicy Deterrent

Many reviews will tell you that there is no such thing as a real raccoon repellent. If you've tried it all from sounds to other tactics, then you might as well try this one too. All you need is some really spicy sauce (tabasco or chilly), a gallon of water, and some regular detergent soap. Mix all the ingredients to prepare a spray. Put it in a spray can and spray it all around your garden. They cannot stand the smell, so they won't even get past the plants.

Hot Pepper Repellent

Here is another natural repellent that you can try out. Get yourself a chopped Jalape�o pepper, a chopped onion (yellow), and a tbsp. of cayenne pepper. Add these three to 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once it cools down, strain the liquid to remove the chunks of the peppers. Fill it in a spray can and spray away.

[...]

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended drought. We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across the river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2014 10:02 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

We had a squirrel plague some years back during

an extended drought. We trapped with Have-a-heart
traps and carried over 70 off across the river.
One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away
with the shotgun; didn't see another squirrel
for two years.

Paul

I'll have to remember that, in case I have a
squirrel plague. Thanks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

(some snipped)

Point is: Why are RACCOONS -- biggest pest around -- "protected" !!!? I
asked
Animal Shelter for help -- send someone to trap him, or lend me a cage.
They said haven't done this for years. Gave me info about "protected"
status. I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS PROTECTION!

I know dis guy dat knows dis odder guy dat can make dis problem go
away...for a price.

Two Fingers Malone

Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:
[...]

I had a problem with one for a year. Kept ****ting on my deck. Tried some
fox spray, but stinks and no foolproof. The thing would get at any kind of
food item left on side porch. On two occasions it opened my garbage can a
spread it all over. Messy to clean up, and I watched carefully to keep
sanitary. On the last occasion, there were three garbage cans opened one
night on garbage collection day. I was all geared up for battle by
trapping, then nothing. Disappeared. I Hope for good, been three months.

I put cats out tied up, with supervision. Most love to go out. It makes
them happy kitties. I don't want to loose them, and I don't really like
others letting their cats roam.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended drought.
We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across the
river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the
shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

Sounds like it was 1 squirrel carried across the river over 70 times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote in
:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.
Comes in through cat door; scarfs up cat food; messes his water
dish. We blocked up cat door; cat has to use window giving on
dark yard; have it open minimum, but anxious-making.

Google "electronic pet door". Short version: cat wears a collar with an RFID tag, door won't
unlock unless that tag is in proximity.

Or if you prefer a more DIY solution... some years ago, I remember somebody posting here
a complete description of how he'd solved the same problem by rigging up a video
camera and computer software to recognize his cat, and not open the door for anything
else. You can probably find that if you sink enough time into Googling for it.

As other posters have said, though, you should consider the various dangers involved in
letting your cat outside at all:

- Domestic cats cause a fearful death toll on songbirds.
- Cats running loose may be hit by cars.
- Cats are also potential prey for coyotes.
- When your cat goes outside, it probably doesn't stay in your yard -- if it's like some of the
cats in my neighborhood, it goes next door and s**ts in your neighbor's flowerbed. This
brings up another danger to your cat: that it may be shot by a neighbor with a pellet gun
who's sick and tired of finding cat s**t in his flowerbed and vegetable garden.

Bottom line: litter-train your damn cat, and this won't be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2014 11:33 PM, LVetter wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

(some snipped)

Point is: Why are RACCOONS -- biggest pest around -- "protected"
!!!? I asked
Animal Shelter for help -- send someone to trap him, or lend me a
cage. They said haven't done this for years. Gave me info about
"protected" status. I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS PROTECTION!

I know dis guy dat knows dis odder guy dat can make dis problem go
away...for a price.

Two Fingers Malone

When traps are outlawed, only outlaws will
have traps.

What is it with you libs? Insist that animals
be protected, and then moan and carry on when
animals invade your house.

Why is it that you libs nsist that Mexicans need
amnesty, and then whine and cry when they rape,
rob, murder, and invade your house.

And then you libs Holler "not in my back yard" when
some evil corporation wants to build a power plant,
and "don't increase my rates!" when the power is
brought in from another state. And then "there ought
to be a law" when the grid browns out because it can't
handle all your libs with house full of electronic
gadgets, electric cook top, and AC.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2014 3:28 AM, Fake ID wrote:
In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended drought.
We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across the
river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the
shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

Sounds like it was 1 squirrel carried across the river over 70 times.

Si, senor. Esta uno squirrel,
se deporation, la migra. Esta
squirrel dinero su coyote, vas
back in, much pronto.
==============================
Show rat, mofo. Yo gots one
mofo squirrel. He be payin de
man what get him back in quick
like.
==============================
Yes, sit. That was one squirrel
you carried across, 70 times.
Sadly, he had a lot of money and
a good coyote, and came right back
into the country illegally.

--
..
Christopher "Hombre" Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2014 5:19 AM, philo wrote:
On 08/13/2014 11:25 PM, wrote:
Why bother, a river is just a minor annoyance for a raccoon. They are
excellent swimmers.
This is a whole family swimming across the river next to me

http://gfretwell.com/wildlife/Raccon...he%20river.jpg

Yep...and squirrels can swim across a river too...

Is that the doggy paddle?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2014 8:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/13/2014 11:33 PM, LVetter wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

(some snipped)

[...]

Right, and now let's hear it from Higgy Bo
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.

[....]

Do away with the cat door and keep your cat in the house.

This is sometimes suggested, but I think it's cruel to keep a creature
confined in the house 24/7. Never have done this during a lifetime of
cats. This one in particular has a very independent personality. We
tried keeping him in when he was little, but it never worked.

No, I don't want to wreck his life and make myself crazy because of
raccoon!

We have four cats, none of them even want to go outside.
Trust me, if you ever see a cat hit by a car, you might change your mind.

True. Also, I know from experience with feral cats in my neighborhood,
raccoons can and will kill cats and eat them. If you let your cat out, it
may never come back. I have a 13 year old cat that lived feral for 1 1/2
years before we adopted it. It refuses to go out, if you open the door when
it is near, it will move away from the door to avoid the open. It knows
where it wants to be, queen of the household and all it can see through the
window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:28:53 AM UTC-4, Fake ID wrote:
In article ,

Pavel314 wrote:

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended drought.

We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across the

river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the

shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

Sounds like it was 1 squirrel carried across the river over 70 times.

I thought about putting a dab of day-glow orange on the tail to see if they were returning but never got around to that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended drought.
We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across
the
river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the
shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

Sounds like it was 1 squirrel carried across the river over 70 times.

Si, senor. Esta uno squirrel,
se deporation, la migra. Esta
squirrel dinero su coyote, vas
back in, much pronto.

Lord, your Spanish sucks _BIG TIME_!

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 08:09:57 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 8/13/2014 11:33 PM, LVetter wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

(some snipped)

[...]

What would Jesus do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

We had a squirrel plague some years back during an extended
drought.
We trapped with Have-a-heart traps and carried over 70 off across
the
river. One day I was in a bad mood so I blew one away with the
shotgun; didn't see another squirrel for two years.

Sounds like it was 1 squirrel carried across the river over 70
times.

Si, senor. Esta uno squirrel,
se deporation, la migra. Esta
squirrel dinero su coyote, vas
back in, much pronto.

Lord, your Spanish sucks _BIG TIME_!

I decided I shouldn't criticize without correcting what you were trying to
say (or, what I think you were trying to say). There is more than one way
to say it...

Si, señor. Es ardilla, fue deportada por migración. El ardilla pagó
dinero a su coyote y regresó muy pronto.

Yes, sir. It is a squirrel, deported by immigration. The squirrel paid
money to its coyote and returned very quickly.
_______________

What you said is (more or less)...

Yes, sir. This one squirrel, deportation himself, the miracle. This
squirrel money his coyote, you are going back in, much quick.

The Taiwanese manuals from years ago were better

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2014 7:18 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote in
:

Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.
Comes in through cat door; scarfs up cat food; messes his water
dish. We blocked up cat door; cat has to use window giving on
dark yard; have it open minimum, but anxious-making.

Google "electronic pet door". Short version: cat wears a collar with an RFID tag, door won't
unlock unless that tag is in proximity.

Or if you prefer a more DIY solution... some years ago, I remember somebody posting here
a complete description of how he'd solved the same problem by rigging up a video
camera and computer software to recognize his cat, and not open the door for anything
else. You can probably find that if you sink enough time into Googling for it.

HB needs a no cost or less than $2 solution.
Haven't you seen his other posts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 13:26:28 -0400, dgk wrote:

What would Jesus do?

Vote for a conservative!

...."you libs" don't get it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

[...]

I think Higgs Bozo is actually her, not him. Of course my last
suggestion -- litter-train the damn cat -- is the second-lowest
solution possible, next to getting rid of the cat altogether.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:09:31 -0400, Frank
wrote:

So kill the damn coon and be done. You are already crazy so scratch
that off the list.

What is your crisis for Thursday & Friday?

Gardening group gave him plenty of answers which he ignored or said
Hav-a-hart traps were too expensive.

How much does one round of ammo cost ?

She comes across as a drama queen, seeking a Savior from her victim
hood. Then again, she voted for it and got what she voted for.

OT trapped a raccoon Ignoramus9757 Metalworking 32 June 26th 10 12:09 PM
Raccoon Revenge HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 0 October 22nd 09 02:06 AM
Raccoon Problem Rob Mills Home Repair 33 September 20th 08 02:09 AM
Raccoon havoc HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 11 August 18th 08 03:54 AM
Raccoon smell Kendall P. Bullen Home Ownership 4 April 29th 05 03:43 AM