Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Raccoon

Retired wrote:
On 8/13/14, 12:59 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Big SOB has been terrorizing household intermittently for ages.
Comes in through cat door; scarfs up cat food; messes his water
dish. We blocked up cat door; cat has to use window giving on dark
yard; have it open minimum, but anxious-making.

Found raccoon in kitchen at night. BIG! Rushed out OPEN back door,
brushing past my legs; no injury fortunately. So can't leave
computer room door open for air at night.

OP has volunteered to kill it w/blow to head, but he doesn't
realize how big and fierce they are. Also, first have to catch
it!!

Point is: Why are RACCOONS -- biggest pest around -- "protected"
!!!? I asked Animal Shelter for help -- send someone to trap him,
or lend me a cage. They said haven't done this for years. Gave me
info about "protected" status. I'M THE ONE WHO NEEDS PROTECTION!

Not ept enough to construct own cage, though have
plans/descriptions. Cost of materials - have to be VERY strong.
Ever see the CLAWS on those critters!

Choices: Rent a cage. Buy a cage. Put up with cat door problem.
Other?

*******SPRAY SOMETHING ON STEPS THAT THEY ARE SAID TO AVOID.
Anybody know a product?******

OK, end sob story. Excuse venting.

HB

BTDT. Tried various scare tactics (motion sensor lite, pan of ammonia,
etc) Nothing worked. Finally got a trap. Bye bye raccoon.

Traps are cheap. $25 at Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/37-inch...rap-90218.html

Peanut butter is a good bait.

FWIW, in Colorado it was legal to release them only in the plains east of
I-25, not in the mountains.

I had a problem with one for a year. Kept ****ting on my deck. Tried some
fox spray, but stinks and no foolproof. The thing would get at any kind of
food item left on side porch. On two occasions it opened my garbage can a
spread it all over. Messy to clean up, and I watched carefully to keep
sanitary. On the last occasion, there were three garbage cans opened one
night on garbage collection day. I was all geared up for battle by
trapping, then nothing. Disappeared. I Hope for good, been three months.

I put cats out tied up, with supervision. Most love to go out. It makes
them happy kitties. I don't want to loose them, and I don't really like
others letting their cats roam.

Greg