Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT trapped a raccoon

Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/22/2010 10:27 AM, Ignoramus9757 wrote:
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

Just open the trap from the backside and he will run like a bat outa hell.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:27:10 -0500, Ignoramus9757
wrote:

Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

When I did that, I used welder's gloves to load the trap in the
Suburban on a sheet of plywood. On the other side of the river, I
held a .45 on the critter and explained to him that if he didn't exit
in an appropriate direction I was going to blast him. I doubt he
understood, but he departed in the desired direction.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9757" wrote in message
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

There was a great plan for a coonskin cap in an issue of _Boy's Life_ from
around 1958 or 1959. You could look it up. g

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

You can release the latch on top of the trap with your fingers without the
'coon being able to reach you. Put a stick between it and the cage to keep
it up and out of the way.

Now you have a choice. You have to push the spring-loaded wire bail back
from the front of the trap. The 'coon still won't be able to reach you. But
now you want to be careful.

If your trap is like mine, there's a hole in the door that's made so you can
loop a piece of wire into it, to tie down the spring-loaded bail. Tie it
down (the coon still can't reach you). Tie a long piece of string to the
spring on the bottom of the door. Unwind your string and walk away with it.
Now you can just pull the string and the door will lift.

'Coons are very smart. He'll run out. Unless he's rabid, it won't be towards
you. g Other animals are sometimes too dumb to get out. You'll have to
leave them with the door open for a while before they get the idea.

With squirrels and cats, I just aim the open end of the trap away from me
and do all of this with my hands, holding onto the outside of the door while
the critter runs out. Squirrels may sit there and look at you for a while
before realizing they're free.

Have fun! Report any bites. d8-)

Oh, BTW, you can eat the 'coon. I've never tried it so I can't recommend it.

One more thing: If you put the trap with 'coon inside in the trunk of your
car, to haul him away, put a big plastic bag on the floor of the trunk
first, and cover it with multiple layers of newspaper. This is for obvious
reasons...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9757" wrote in message
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

..22 CB short out of a revolver has just enough umph to go through his skull
at point blank range and its not excessively loud. Coons are very strong
but in general smart enough to run away from you. If it has any signs of
rabies call animal control and keep your distance rather than releasing it.

Be glad its not a badger. He would destroy your cage and then come looking
to kick your ass just because he can. Nah, not really, but they are really
tough. 3 of those little bullets through the skull doesn't always stop
those. Ask me how I know. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:08:03 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

Looks nasty:
http://lauriekendrick.files.wordpres...09/badger2.jpg

Or at least annoying:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/badgers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9757" wrote in message
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

Be careful Iggy!! My dog trapped a coon under our house. Dog lost the
battle. Coon 'bitch-slapped' him (big dog, a fighter) and my dogs upper
lips were mere dangling ribbons of flesh. Healed OK and lesson learned.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 10:27*am, Ignoramus9757
wrote:
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

I had almost the same experience, but worse. I came home from a job at
2:00AM and found the trap that I had set for a woodchuck occupied by a
skunk. I duct-taped a hook onto the end of a ten-foot pole and managed
to open the trap from behind. The skunk took off in one direction,
and I in the other, neither of us the worse for the experience.

I didn't get sprayed - there was no spraying - but my heart rate sure
did get up there!

The woodchuck was finally dealt with when my wife bounced a rock off
its ass, and it waddled away indignently, never to be seen again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9757 wrote:

nstead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If your trash has been tossed recently or you have farmers growing corn near you, the vote
would be for the coup de grce.

I remember a Disney movie I watched as a kid. A couple coons get into a cabin and trash
it. It was a bit funny then but now I know it wasn't funny.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-22, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9757 wrote:

nstead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If your trash has been tossed recently or you have farmers growing corn near you, the vote
would be for the coup de gr?ce.

I remember a Disney movie I watched as a kid. A couple coons get into a cabin and trash
it. It was a bit funny then but now I know it wasn't funny.

I have learned my lesson and keep trash locked up in a plastic
shed. Raccoons are much less annoying now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9757" wrote in message
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

I had a bad experience with raccoons living in my attic and refusing to
leave in my house in town. Since it was in town I wasn't allowed to shoot
them so now that I live in the country I don't attempt to release them
alive. I caught some in my live trap, tied a rope to the trap and threw it
in my pond. Pulled it out a couple of hours later and released the raccoon,
they get pretty stiff, just kind of rolled out. Anyway, it's silent...

On the house where they were in the attic, I got them out by using moth
balls, seems they couldn't tolerate them.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-22, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus9757" wrote in message
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

I had a bad experience with raccoons living in my attic and refusing to
leave in my house in town. Since it was in town I wasn't allowed to shoot
them so now that I live in the country I don't attempt to release them
alive. I caught some in my live trap, tied a rope to the trap and threw it
in my pond. Pulled it out a couple of hours later and released the raccoon,
they get pretty stiff, just kind of rolled out. Anyway, it's silent...

Clever. 3 minutes would proably be enough. And you probably burned the
dead raccoon in the burn barrel, which is another thing that I cannot
have.

On the house where they were in the attic, I got them out by using moth
balls, seems they couldn't tolerate them.

Moth balls in the attic is a really bad idea. They are dangerous not
only for raccoons, but for people also. I keep mothballs in the shed,
and in the generator control box, but would never use them in the
house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Roger, what do you do with the rest of the moth? Dispose of it?

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9757 wrote:

Moth balls in the attic is a really bad idea. They are dangerous not
only for raccoons, but for people also. I keep mothballs in the shed,
and in the generator control box, but would never use them in the
house.

What is the danger? Curious since grandma used them in closets that I played in sometimes
as a kid.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-22, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus9757 wrote:

Moth balls in the attic is a really bad idea. They are dangerous not
only for raccoons, but for people also. I keep mothballs in the shed,
and in the generator control box, but would never use them in the
house.

What is the danger? Curious since grandma used them in closets that
I played in sometimes as a kid.

The vapors of mothballs are harmful. All mothballs come with huge
warnings about this. Their smell gives me headaches.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9757 wrote:
I have learned my lesson and keep trash locked up in a plastic
shed. ...

_Plastic_ shed? I dunno - 'coons can be pretty assertive about getting
what they want. At one time I had garbage in a steel can with a tight
fitting lid. When they pulled the lid off I put a piece of chain from
one side handle, through the lid handle, and clipped to the other side.
They rolled the can around the yard until they dislodged the lid
enough to get the garbage (leaving a trail of garbage that wasn't good
enough for them). Then I chained the can to the house & I had no more
trouble.

At an apartment house I had the coons tore shingles off the roof, trying
to get in. Must have looked like a good place for a den.

Then there was the rabies epidemic and I haven't seen a coon in, what,
15 years.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had almost the same experience, but worse. I came home from a job at
2:00AM and found the trap that I had set for a woodchuck occupied by a
skunk.

Skunk instead of groundhog happened to us twice already. In fact, we
keep an old plastic shower curtain handy for whenever that happens.
They tend to get "goofy" in the presence of a walking shower curtain
that eventually comes to rest over the trap. The last one took five
minutes before leaving the trap after it was opened. When it finally
came out we had to chase it away. It didn't want to leave and this was
in broad daylight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-06-22, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus9757 wrote:
I have learned my lesson and keep trash locked up in a plastic
shed. ...

_Plastic_ shed? I dunno - 'coons can be pretty assertive about getting
what they want. At one time I had garbage in a steel can with a tight
fitting lid. When they pulled the lid off I put a piece of chain from
one side handle, through the lid handle, and clipped to the other side.
They rolled the can around the yard until they dislodged the lid
enough to get the garbage (leaving a trail of garbage that wasn't good
enough for them). Then I chained the can to the house & I had no more
trouble.

At an apartment house I had the coons tore shingles off the roof, trying
to get in. Must have looked like a good place for a den.

Then there was the rabies epidemic and I haven't seen a coon in, what,
15 years.

I have had this shed for about 2 years, it is smartly designed to keep
raccoons out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Therefore, don't leave your traps set at night.

Easier said than done around here. We've also caught two 'possums
because of our laziness. These can be cute like this one;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/69297010/original

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 8:15*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
...Other than that I like them to test
ammunition on, haven't shot one with my .264 Win mag or .338 Win mag yet.

RogerN

Those things will skin them and cook the meat for you, if you can find
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

\
\Those things will skin them and cook the meat for you, if you can find
\it.
\

I guess the only high power shots I have done around here is 1 possum and 1
raccoon with my 22-250, that gun's awful loud though. My son has a single
shot .22 with a red dot sight that is great for general purpose pest control
and much quieter than the alternatives.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

Call Animal Control for instructions.

--
Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst.
-- Lin Yutang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OMG, someone musta beed -on- shrooms to create that one. That's
enough for a bad trip, maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Hey, does anyone else remember the badger in the movie _The Gods Must
Be Crazy II_? ROTFLSHIPMP! It was ****ed off and followed them for
miles and miles, tracking them by scent. That's my idea of comedy.

--
Peace of mind is that mental condition in which you have accepted the worst.
-- Lin Yutang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 1:07*am, Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey, does anyone else remember the badger in the movie _The Gods Must
Be Crazy II_? * ROTFLSHIPMP! *It was ****ed off and followed them for
miles and miles, tracking them by scent. *That's my idea of comedy.

I didn't see the first movie but that sounds like these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Badger

Our local equivalent is the Fisher Cat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 8:21*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Jun 22, 7:07 pm, " wrote:

I had almost the same experience, but worse. I came home from a job at
2:00AM and found the trap that I had set for a woodchuck occupied by a
skunk.

Skunk instead of groundhog happened to us twice already. In fact, we
keep an old plastic shower curtain handy for whenever that happens.
They tend to get "goofy" in the presence of a walking shower curtain
that eventually comes to rest over the trap. The last one took five
minutes before leaving the trap after it was opened. When it finally
came out we had to chase it away. It didn't want to leave and this was
in broad daylight.

On Jun 22, 4:21 pm, rangerssuck wrote:

The thing to remember (and the thing I forgot) is that groundhogs/
woodchucks only come out to play during the day, and skunks (almost)
only at night. Actually, if you see a skunk in the daytime, there's a
good chance it's rabid.

Therefore, don't leave your traps set at night.

Good point, but the groundhogs are up early, particularly in the summer.
Your chances of catching one are much greater, in my experience, just after
dawn and around dusk.

That's probably more true in the suburbs, where Iggy lives, and where
they're going to avoid daytime activity.

--
Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

I, too, live in the suburbs. I see groundhogs all times of day. The
first time I encountered one in my yard, it was happily munching on
the grass, which was OK by me. It was out there for hours. I thought,
at the time, you could shove a broomstick up this critter's butt and
use it as a lawnmower, like on the Flintstones.

Later it started munching on the garden, and I was less amused. I read
a lot, and took the advice of some. These guys supposedly don't like
mothballs, and don't like dried blood (fertilizer from the garden
store). So, I put a border of mothballs around the garden and
sprinkled dried blood on the foliage. I swear, that while the *******
was sitting on the mothballs munching on the leaves, I heard him say,
"Could you please pass the blood?"

Groundhogs are one of the reasons farmers' trucks have gun racks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Same thing they do with deballed politicians. Turn them loose on the
world.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 7:07 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Groundhogs are one of the reasons farmers' trucks have gun racks.- Hide quoted text -

About the only thing that discourages them from garden raiding is an
electric fence and that only while they burrow under it. Does keep
the coons out of the sweet corn, though. Groundhogs will chew every
thing down to the dirt, just like a prairie dog.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 11:43*am, wrote:

About the only thing that discourages them from garden raiding is an
electric fence and that only while they burrow under it. *Does keep
the coons out of the sweet corn, though. *Groundhogs will chew every
thing down to the dirt, just like a prairie dog.

Stan

When I have seen ground hogs at one of the garden beds on our
property, I chased it. It ran under the porch thru a smallish hole in
the skirting. I blocked that hole with some bricks and a day later
had a good look and found another access to the area under the porch
by some stairs. So blocked that too. Now there is no place close by
to hide and I have not seen one on our property since then. I think
they are discouraged if there is no safe haven close by.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 7:07 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Stan- Hide quoted text -

You can bend a wire cloth fence into an 'L" shape, with the horizontal
leg about a foot long, buried 6" under ground, facing the outside of
the perimeter. The woodchuck will walk up to the fence and try to dig.
They don't realize that backing up a foot would lead them to paradise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 22, 7:07 pm, " wrote:

[...]

A smart dog makes short work of them. I had one, a former stray, that
would watch quietly with one eye barely open until they snuck past,
then leap and land teeth-first on their neck. They can't turn to fight
while running away at full speed. He was death on cats, too, and I had
to toss them out onto the side of the road to cover for him.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

If its a male..simply feed him a few times, then release him. He will
likely become your buddy. They can be a ****load of fun to have around.

If its a female..tote the trap a few miles away and turn her loose.
Female racoons are utter bitches and seldom will mellow enough for pet
status.

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1215955656
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

If its a male..simply feed him a few times, then release him. He will
likely become your buddy. They can be a ****load of fun to have around.

If its a female..tote the trap a few miles away and turn her loose.
Female racoons are utter bitches and seldom will mellow enough for pet
status.

Gunner

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Gunner Asch

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1215955656

This content is currently unavailable

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be
temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or
you may not have permission to view this page.
Gunner Asch

Raccoon Revenge HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 0 October 22nd 09 02:06 AM
Raccoon Problem Rob Mills Home Repair 33 September 20th 08 02:09 AM
Raccoon havoc HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 11 August 18th 08 03:54 AM
Dead Raccoon Trapped Under Deck -- What to Do? Alan Home Repair 37 October 17th 05 04:23 PM