Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT trapped a raccoon

"Ignoramus9757" wrote in message
Instead of that woodchuck, we trapped a raccoon (according to someone
at home, I have not seen it yet).

What should I do with this MF? Release or speedy trial/execution for
trespassing?

There was a great plan for a coonskin cap in an issue of _Boy's Life_ from
around 1958 or 1959. You could look it up. g

If I am to release him, how would I let him go so that he does not
bite me.

You can release the latch on top of the trap with your fingers without the
'coon being able to reach you. Put a stick between it and the cage to keep
it up and out of the way.

Now you have a choice. You have to push the spring-loaded wire bail back
from the front of the trap. The 'coon still won't be able to reach you. But
now you want to be careful.

If your trap is like mine, there's a hole in the door that's made so you can
loop a piece of wire into it, to tie down the spring-loaded bail. Tie it
down (the coon still can't reach you). Tie a long piece of string to the
spring on the bottom of the door. Unwind your string and walk away with it.
Now you can just pull the string and the door will lift.

'Coons are very smart. He'll run out. Unless he's rabid, it won't be towards
you. g Other animals are sometimes too dumb to get out. You'll have to
leave them with the door open for a while before they get the idea.

With squirrels and cats, I just aim the open end of the trap away from me
and do all of this with my hands, holding onto the outside of the door while
the critter runs out. Squirrels may sit there and look at you for a while
before realizing they're free.

Have fun! Report any bites. d8-)

Oh, BTW, you can eat the 'coon. I've never tried it so I can't recommend it.

One more thing: If you put the trap with 'coon inside in the trunk of your
car, to haul him away, put a big plastic bag on the floor of the trunk
first, and cover it with multiple layers of newspaper. This is for obvious
reasons...

--
Ed Huntress