Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Kendall P. Bullen

Default Raccoon smell

The trapping place we're using says we can't really do anything about
raccoon smell...they're placing traps to get the critters, but I'm
worried about long-term smell. Plus they told us the critters pee where
they nest, so our basement ceiling would have to have a bunch of --
maybe all the -- drywall replaced??? And there's a closet under the
stairs that supposedly has a smell...I didn't notice it, but there were
some powerful plug-in aroma things in the house, so I'm not sure if this
is new with the raccoon[s], or if this was already there and just
thoroughly masked.

Any ideas on getting rid of raccoon smell other than replacing our
basement ceiling? ;-)

Thanks

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
HiTech RedNeck

"Kendall P. Bullen" wrote in message

Any ideas on getting rid of raccoon smell other than replacing our
basement ceiling? ;-)

If they've peed on the ceiling material from nests above it, it would be
difficult to get to the smelly area. New ceiling (maybe a suspended type so
you can switch out individual panels if need be in the future) may be all
you can do.

I've heard of a stuff that's supposed to be good for removing animal odors
(www.antiickypoo.com) -- it eats up the odorous material with special
bacteria -- but you do have to be able to get it where the odor causing
material is, and if the ceiling is solid wallboard, good luck.

Kendall P. Bullen

In article ,
"HiTech RedNeck" wrote:

If they've peed on the ceiling material from nests above it, it would be
difficult to get to the smelly area.

Thanks for the reply (I was starting to think my messages went into a
black hole, since almost none get replies ;-). We have 4-5 recessed
fluourescent lights (industrial style)...I was thinking maybe something
could be sprayed up through those holes (remove lights/poke head up) but
that doesn't provide totally easy access, I guess. ;-/

New ceiling (maybe a suspended type so you can switch out individual
panels if need be in the future) may be all you can do.

Interesting idea, thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that...my other
half & I were just talking about replacing it with more drywall.

I've heard of a stuff that's supposed to be good for removing animal odors
(www.antiickypoo.com) -- it eats up the odorous material with special
bacteria -- but you do have to be able to get it where the odor causing
material is, and if the ceiling is solid wallboard, good luck.

Thanks for the pointer & the luck wishing. :-)

Cheers,
Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!
TKM

[...]

Antything that seals the surface will help. Shellac or a pigmented sealer
like "Kilz" is fine if you can figure out a way to apply it - brushing it on
is best. It does come in spray cans, so it's fairly easy and inexpensive
to try a spray treatment. You can always tear the ceiling out if the simple
things don't work.

TKM

Kendall P. Bullen

In article
,
"TKM" wrote:

Antything that seals the surface will help. Shellac or a pigmented sealer
like "Kilz" is fine if you can figure out a way to apply it - brushing it on
is best. It does come in spray cans, so it's fairly easy and inexpensive
to try a spray treatment. You can always tear the ceiling out if the simple
things don't work.

Thanks for the idea -- I'd wondered about this a while back. In our
'old' house (the one we're moving out of/going to sell), the unfinished
basement has our cats' (now cat's, since one is no longer 'with us')
litter box and the area around that gets kinda messy...I was wondering
about just pouring a little concrete in that corner over the concrete
floor. ;-) Or something like you suggested.

Thanks,
Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!

Question: Septic Smell. Plumbing Pictures Included. A real challenge!!! Marc Home Repair 7 July 13th 05 02:00 AM
getting rid of mold smell Shallow Hal Home Ownership 2 January 30th 05 08:28 PM
wb fireplace smell ADC Home Repair 4 January 20th 05 05:03 PM
Firewood smell in basement when burning wood on first floor. [email protected] Home Ownership 4 December 17th 04 04:59 PM
Intermittent sewer smell in bathroom shad Home Repair 2 January 28th 04 03:03 AM