shad

Default Intermittent sewer smell in bathroom

We have noticed a sewer smell in one of our upstairs bathrooms that
comes and goes. The first time it occurred I changed the wax seal on
the toilet (after reading several posts in this forum) and I thought
the problem was fixed. Unfortunately, that didn't last. So far, the
smell has returned 3 times in the past 2-1/2 weeks. The last time it
happened, my wife was taking a shower when the smell went from faint
to unbearable. I looked down all of the drains and I could see water
in all of them. After reading several posts, I guess it could be a
blocked vent pipe, except that the other upstairs bathroom shares the
same vent pipe and has never had the smell problem. Both bathrooms
are used on a daily basis.

One thing I have noticed is that the smell seems to return within 1
day of extremely cold temperatures (lows at or below zero); and the
smell dissipates once the cold breaks. Could the extreme cold
temperature be causing this somehow?

Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated. I would much rather
try to figure out the cause on my own and call a professional only if
necessary.
Speedy Jim

shad wrote:

[...]

Running the shower often seems to aggravate this kind of problem.
I'm guessing the hot water flowing down the stack generates more
odor.
Anyway, don't rule out the wax seal again.
Extreme cold temps causing shrinkage to loosen the wax seal?
Dunno.

Could you live without that toilet for a day or 2?
Take it up and tightly seal the flange opening.
See whether there is any odor.

Jim
KenKM

How big is the vent pipe. Different areas of the country seem to have different
sizes. If that pipe frosts closed in a real cold snap you have a blocked vent
pipe. When it warms up the problem goes away.

Just my .02

Ken