Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Church without power

On 10/30/2013 5:13 PM, Pete C. wrote:

If:
1) such heater can be found
2) can get permission to operate such.

The LP Salamanders require a bit of power, but at least they don't stink
up the place like a kero heater will. I use a little 80k BTU/hr LP
heater in my shop occasionally, it works well and only takes a few Amps
to power the blower and ignitor.

I'm sure LP is a lot cleaner. I've used kerosene,
years ago. It does have a real odor to it.

LP is wonderful, for such purposes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 5:16 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Your best bet, safest and simplest may well be to rent an industrial
silenced diesel genset that can provide normal power for the heating
systems, can be connected at one service entrance point and having a big
fuel tank under the trailer mounted generator can be started up and
mostly ignored until it's time to shut it down, fill the tank and return
it.

You know, that's one option. I suspect they will be
hard to find (and seriously expensive) if the grid
is down.

Easier to find someone with a gas generator that
does 230/1.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/30/2013 3:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't read anything that says that there will
be an actual outage.

The articles I've read say that they will hold a "downed power grid
simulation" but they never say that the power will actually go out.

If I were you, I'd call your local utility and ask them what exactly is
going to happen on Nov 13 in your specific area before I started draining
pipes and filling them with antifreeze.

My guess is that you won't have to do anything because the power isn't
really going to be cut.

I hope you're right. of course, I won't go through all
the pipes and pink the traps, unless the grid goes down.
Just trying to stay ahead of trouble. If it were a real
grid down, the drone at the power co wouldn't have been
told.

First off, you don't have to talk to a "drone". You can escalate your
request and work your way up the chain, especially if you are responsible
for an important entity, such as a church.

Second, if the power was really going to be shut off, I doubt they would
keep it a secret from hospitals, businesses, etc., even if it was just a
drill. Read the articles. The drill is not about how small businesses,
hospitals, schools or churches will handle a grid outage. It's about those
responsible for the infrastructure and the various government agencies that
have a part to play or a concern. That being the case, there are those who
are in the know and you should be able to get an answer.

As for me, I'm planning on posting from my iron lung on 11/13 just like
every other day...

http://www.bagofnothing.com/wordpres...lalexander.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/30/2013 5:02 PM, wrote:
No one in the Chicago area apparently knows anything about a real power disruption.

I would not expect the powers that be, to
advertise ahead of time. Loses all the shock
value.

But they did "advertise". DAGS

Articles about the drill are easy to find.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10-30-2013, 15:50, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My guess is that you won't have to do anything because the power isn't
really going to be cut.

My guess is that's the intent but that somewhere in this great land,
someone will screw up.

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, €œThat preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 10/30/2013 5:16 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Your best bet, safest and simplest may well be to rent an industrial
silenced diesel genset that can provide normal power for the heating
systems, can be connected at one service entrance point and having a big
fuel tank under the trailer mounted generator can be started up and
mostly ignored until it's time to shut it down, fill the tank and return
it.

You know, that's one option. I suspect they will be
hard to find (and seriously expensive) if the grid
is down.

Easier to find someone with a gas generator that
does 230/1.

You won't find many gas generators large enough to run the heating
systems you have, generators large enough will be diesel or gaseous
(LP/Nat.) fueled. A small gas generator can power some salamanders to
provide a minimal level of "keep above freezing or condensation" heat.

FYI, those pivot irrigation systems commonly found in the mid America
food producing states run on 480/3. One offshoot of that is that some
engine driven welders are setup with generators that can provide 480/3
to power those systems when not welding them together.

Of course FEMA has huge warehouses full of nice diesel generators, I've
seen semi loads of FEMA generators passing through here on the way up to
OK when they had the huge ice storm there a few years back.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:38:05 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The church has 11
toilets, and assortment of sinks and floor drains.

....an nothing to do with church power - primarily
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 6:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

First off, you don't have to talk to a "drone". You can escalate your
request and work your way up the chain, especially if you are responsible
for an important entity, such as a church.

Second, if the power was really going to be shut off, I doubt they would
keep it a secret from hospitals, businesses, etc., even if it was just a
drill. Read the articles. The drill is not about how small businesses,
hospitals, schools or churches will handle a grid outage. It's about those
responsible for the infrastructure and the various government agencies that
have a part to play or a concern. That being the case, there are those who
are in the know and you should be able to get an answer.

As for me, I'm planning on posting from my iron lung on 11/13 just like
every other day...

http://www.bagofnothing.com/wordpres...lalexander.jpg

If the event is for the reasons the alt web sites say,
no one is going to admit it. You know, deny to the end.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:24:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/30/2013 5:16 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Your best bet, safest and simplest may well be to rent an industrial
silenced diesel genset that can provide normal power for the heating
systems, can be connected at one service entrance point and having a big
fuel tank under the trailer mounted generator can be started up and
mostly ignored until it's time to shut it down, fill the tank and return
it.

You know, that's one option. I suspect they will be
hard to find (and seriously expensive) if the grid
is down.

Easier to find someone with a gas generator that
does 230/1.

If you are worried the grid will go down and you will need power,
buy your insurance NOW. Book the genset and pay for it. Then you have
it if the grid goes down.
But if it is only for less than 48 hours, warm the building up real
good on the 12th and then close the doors and keep them closed. It
will NOT cool off to the danger point unless the exterior temperture
dives WAY below freezing

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 10/30/2013 5:13 PM, Pete C. wrote:

If:
1) such heater can be found
2) can get permission to operate such.

The LP Salamanders require a bit of power, but at least they don't stink
up the place like a kero heater will. I use a little 80k BTU/hr LP
heater in my shop occasionally, it works well and only takes a few Amps
to power the blower and ignitor.

I'm sure LP is a lot cleaner. I've used kerosene,
years ago. It does have a real odor to it.

LP is wonderful, for such purposes.

One by product to LP combustion is H2O best plan on venting the enclosed
space if the combustion is not exhausted to the out side.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

OK, be honest with us. After reading the articles do you think that your
church will lose power on 11/13?

It's quite all right if you do, I'm just curious. Since you started this
thread, I'm willing to think that you did, at least at the beginning -
unless you just wanted to start a thread for the conversation. However, I'm
curious if you really do in fact still believe that they are going to shut
the grid off on 11/13.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 10:16 PM, NotMe wrote:

One by product to LP combustion is H2O best plan on venting the enclosed
space if the combustion is not exhausted to the out side.

And of course, venting to the outside loses heat.
Can't win some times. I like the generator for
smaller heat zone idea. Already vented. Well, if
the natural gas remains on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 6:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

OK, be honest with us. After reading the articles do you think that your
church will lose power on 11/13?

It's quite all right if you do, I'm just curious. Since you started this
thread, I'm willing to think that you did, at least at the beginning -
unless you just wanted to start a thread for the conversation. However, I'm
curious if you really do in fact still believe that they are going to shut
the grid off on 11/13.

I think the present batch of elected officials is
governing against the will of the people. The take
over of every aspect of our lives is really getting
worse. General Motors take over, shutting down business,
DHS check points being rolled out, and so on. Right
about now, would be a great time for a grid shut down,
to divert attention from one scandal or other. And to
provide a crisis (not to go to waste) to impose more
control. Do I believe they will? I am not sure if they
will. But I am certain that it's possible, and well
within the list of things these folks will do to
further their agenda.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it

Oh, for ****'s sake. It's a SIMULATION, you paranoid numbnut.
It's just part of emergency planning. They've done them before,
they'll do them again and again. Just like they do simulations for
other disasters.

You guys cry wolf every single time. And you're wrong every single time.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 7:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 10/30/2013 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it

Oh, for ****'s sake. It's a SIMULATION, you paranoid numbnut.
It's just part of emergency planning. They've done them before, they'll
do them again and again. Just like they do simulations for other disasters.

Maybe their paranoia and preparations are merely a simulation as well?
What if they threw a simulated disaster and nobody came?g

You guys cry wolf every single time. And you're wrong every single time.

With the power out it's hard to differentiate between a German Shepherd
and a wolf sometimes. Depending on where one lives or was raised, it's
difficult to tell between a wolf and a French Poodle.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 8:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 10/30/2013 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it

Oh, for ****'s sake. It's a SIMULATION, you paranoid numbnut.
It's just part of emergency planning. They've done them before, they'll
do them again and again. Just like they do simulations for other disasters.

You guys cry wolf every single time. And you're wrong every single time.

Would be nice if this turned out to be "just a
drill". But, after what I've seen for the last
few years, I don't know.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 7:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Oh, for ****'s sake. It's a SIMULATION, you paranoid numbnut.
It's just part of emergency planning. They've done them before, they'll
do them again and again. Just like they do simulations for other
disasters.

Maybe their paranoia and preparations are merely a simulation as well?
What if they threw a simulated disaster and nobody came?g

You guys cry wolf every single time. And you're wrong every single time.

With the power out it's hard to differentiate between a German Shepherd
and a wolf sometimes. Depending on where one lives or was raised, it's
difficult to tell between a wolf and a French Poodle.

How about a Kenyan imposter?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

well look at it this way, buy a generator that can power one furnace at a time.. plus some lights and other critical things.

not for this simulated disaster but any time power fails..

you could promote your idea of a generator as a investment for your community.

if the power fails someday your church would have enough power to be a shelter for the neighborhood and or your members, besides protecting your valuable investment your building.

later you could suggest some emergency food. MREs or shelf stable stuff that can be rotated out for the needy before they get too old.

and dont forget bottled water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 9:42 AM, bob haller wrote:
well look at it this way, buy a generator that

can power one furnace at a time.. plus some
lights and other critical things.

not for this simulated disaster but any time

power fails..

you could promote your idea of a generator as a

investment for your community.

if the power fails someday your church would have

enough power to be a shelter for the neighborhood
and or your members, besides protecting your
valuable investment your building.

later you could suggest some emergency food.

MREs or shelf stable stuff that can be rotated out
for the needy before they get too old.

and dont forget bottled water.

One of these days, I'll check the amp draw of the
furnace. Maybe someone out there has a 230/1
generator I can use if there is a cut. It would
take some custom temporary wiring, but that's
OK. I have done that. I can imagine them open
the doors as shelter.

I'd also like to see water and food stored. The
church policy prohibits food storage in the
meeting houses. Water, not sure.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 10:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

The idea of providing shelter for residents is good. That not only is a
nice gesture but believe it or not but the heat contribution of a living
human is not negligible.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 10:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 10/31/2013 10:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd also like to see water and food stored. The
church policy prohibits food storage in the
meeting houses. Water, not sure.

The idea of providing shelter for residents is good. That not only is a
nice gesture but believe it or not but the heat contribution of a living
human is not negligible.

nate

Some where (probably in the confidential book) are some
guidelines as to use of LDS buildings as shelters.

You're right, that humans put out heat. I used to remember,
there is an average figure of BTU per hour per average
person. That's cooling load in summer, reduced heating
load in winter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
On 10/30/2013 9:35 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Will the church be occupied or no?

CY:Probably not, during a power cut. I think they generally send everyone
home. We had a day time winter power cut, years ago. They sent us all
home.

I'm thinking portable heaters e.g.
kerosene although you probably don't want to be in there while they're
running. Unfortunately, you'll probably also get some lingering kero
smell.

CY: That did come to mind. I'd have to check the BTU, but the church has 7
zones. I think the smaller five are 250,000 BTU per hour input, 80%
efficiency. Fire regulations (insurance) prohibit fuel burning portable
heaters. I think also electric plug in heaters also prohib.

I'd go ahead and drain the pipes too just in case.

Good shop vac might help as blowing out the lines does not always work.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 11:09 AM, NotMe wrote:
CY: That did come to mind. I'd have to check the BTU, but the church has 7
zones. I think the smaller five are 250,000 BTU per hour input, 80%
efficiency. Fire regulations (insurance) prohibit fuel burning portable
heaters. I think also electric plug in heaters also prohib.

I'd go ahead and drain the pipes too just in case.

Good shop vac might help as blowing out the lines does not always work.

Shop vac needs electric. Fortunately, I do have small
generator. I'd be using a compressor, and blow out
adapter. I've blown out RV / camper, and need to make
a different adaptor to be able to pressurize a hose
bib, other type of thread.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Gunner Asch on Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:27:54 -0700
typed in alt.survival the following:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:16:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it
gets me to thinking. I'm one of the maint guys
at church. Suppose the power goes off, and it's
below freezing.

The building is masonry, with some metal truss,
and flat roof. Roof is flat rubber, think there
is some styrofoam under the rubber. With freezing
and rewarming, there is concern about the wall
paper might be damaged by condensation when it
warms up. But, the big damage is likely to be
the water lines. Old copper, in the ceilings and
along the inside walls.

Ideally, I'd be able to shut off the water at the
meter where it comes in. Use a compressor and
blow out adapter to blow most of the water out
of the lines, and hope for the best. I do have a
small pump, to pump in pink RV antifreeze, but that
would likely take a LOT of pink. Ten gallons or more,
at the very least.

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

Got hose bibs outside? Open them and leave em open. It will help
drain anything above em.

Or, you can also -
turn off any water heaters, and lock them out. (It could be as
simple as a sign saying "Building has been Winterized, the water lines
are empty." over the "on" switches.)
Open a faucet at the far end (or highest) of the building
Hook an air compressor to the hose bib (simple enough adaptor to
connect the air line to the water line.
Pressurize the water line with air, and "blow it clear".
Add the anti-freeze to any toilet tanks.
MARK EVERYTHING.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news
On 10/31/2013 10:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 10/31/2013 10:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd also like to see water and food stored. The
church policy prohibits food storage in the
meeting houses. Water, not sure.

The idea of providing shelter for residents is good. That not only is a
nice gesture but believe it or not but the heat contribution of a living
human is not negligible.

nate

Some where (probably in the confidential book) are some
guidelines as to use of LDS buildings as shelters.

You're right, that humans put out heat. I used to remember,
there is an average figure of BTU per hour per average
person. That's cooling load in summer, reduced heating
load in winter.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

The heat output of an adult human is about 100 watts or 340 BTU/hour. Some
humans, of course, radiate more than others.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

There is so, so much I could say here, but I'll limit it to a phrase often
uttered by one of the more prominent posters in this ng:

Good Grief!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:50:01 -0400, "=" wrote:

The heat output of an adult human is about 100 watts or 340 BTU/hour. Some
humans, of course, radiate more than others.

Tomsic

Every member could bring two extra candles and stay there all night?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:05:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/31/2013 10:33 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 10/31/2013 10:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd also like to see water and food stored. The
church policy prohibits food storage in the
meeting houses. Water, not sure.

The idea of providing shelter for residents is good. That not only is a
nice gesture but believe it or not but the heat contribution of a living
human is not negligible.

nate

Some where (probably in the confidential book) are some
guidelines as to use of LDS buildings as shelters.

You're right, that humans put out heat. I used to remember,
there is an average figure of BTU per hour per average
person. That's cooling load in summer, reduced heating
load in winter.

Call Salt Lake City. The LDS have food banks ... a real place that
has storage places, transport and stocking for needs.

.... it's a business the LDS have with trademarks and all

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Or, you can also -
turn off any water heaters, and lock them out. (It could be as
simple as a sign saying "Building has been Winterized, the water lines
are empty." over the "on" switches.)
Open a faucet at the far end (or highest) of the building
Hook an air compressor to the hose bib (simple enough adaptor to
connect the air line to the water line.
Pressurize the water line with air, and "blow it clear".
Add the anti-freeze to any toilet tanks.
MARK EVERYTHING.

The WH are upstairs in mechanical room. Few people know where they are,
and few have key to that room. I've never tried to blow out a building
that size. But, between gravity and air pressure, ought to work. I'd
have to cancel all meetings, and that would be interesting. Not sure I
have that authority. One of those "damn the torpedoes" and go ahead and
do it anyway. I cancelled a satellite broadcast, one time. That was
interesting.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 1:50 PM, = wrote:

The heat output of an adult human is about 100 watts or 340 BTU/hour. Some
humans, of course, radiate more than others.

Tomsic

Thanks, glad someone remembered.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 1:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I think the present batch of elected officials is
governing against the will of the people. The take
over of every aspect of our lives is really getting
worse. General Motors take over, shutting down business,
DHS check points being rolled out, and so on. Right
about now, would be a great time for a grid shut down,
to divert attention from one scandal or other. And to
provide a crisis (not to go to waste) to impose more
control. Do I believe they will? I am not sure if they
will. But I am certain that it's possible, and well
within the list of things these folks will do to
further their agenda.

There is so, so much I could say here, but I'll limit it to a phrase often
uttered by one of the more prominent posters in this ng:

Good Grief!

Thanks, Linus.

..
Charlie Brown
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 1:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:50:01 -0400, "=" wrote:

The heat output of an adult human is about 100 watts or 340 BTU/hour. Some
humans, of course, radiate more than others.

Tomsic

Every member could bring two extra candles and stay there all night?

I'd go for that. However, the church prohibits
open flames in the building. (Must be a cult?)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 2:51 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:05:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon
You're right, that humans put out heat. I used to remember,
there is an average figure of BTU per hour per average
person. That's cooling load in summer, reduced heating
load in winter.

Call Salt Lake City. The LDS have food banks ... a real place that
has storage places, transport and stocking for needs.

... it's a business the LDS have with trademarks and all

They'd know the BTU per hour?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why not just pack the building(s) with people to keep it warm. A small fan could be used to circulate the accumulated heatg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:58:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/31/2013 1:59 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:50:01 -0400, "=" wrote:

The heat output of an adult human is about 100 watts or 340 BTU/hour. Some
humans, of course, radiate more than others.

Tomsic

Every member could bring two extra candles and stay there all night?

I'd go for that. However, the church prohibits
open flames in the building. (Must be a cult?)

This is your story, Tell it anyway you like.

....or

It's your lie, tell it as you like.

Prohibition rules can be tossed out the window. Take care of the
people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 5:29 PM, Oren wrote:

I'd go for that. However, the church prohibits
open flames in the building. (Must be a cult?)

This is your story, Tell it anyway you like.

...or

It's your lie, tell it as you like.

Prohibition rules can be tossed out the window. Take care of the
people.

I'm a believer in do what works. During extended
power cut with risk of pipes, I'd sure consider
candles. The building has five zones of 250K btu
per hour (if I remember right) and two larger than
that. Take a lot of candles to do that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:00:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Call Salt Lake City. The LDS have food banks ... a real place that
has storage places, transport and stocking for needs.

... it's a business the LDS have with trademarks and all

They'd know the BTU per hour?

Call them anyway. At least try for an answer.

Some Mormons are smart, but not all of 'em.

No power in church. Graham.[_3_] UK diy 0 February 10th 11 09:10 PM
£12.5K for a church George UK diy 16 April 5th 07 06:30 PM
Church Cliff Metalworking 1 April 9th 06 05:31 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:58 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:54 AM