Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Church without power

With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it
gets me to thinking. I'm one of the maint guys
at church. Suppose the power goes off, and it's
below freezing.

The building is masonry, with some metal truss,
and flat roof. Roof is flat rubber, think there
is some styrofoam under the rubber. With freezing
and rewarming, there is concern about the wall
paper might be damaged by condensation when it
warms up. But, the big damage is likely to be
the water lines. Old copper, in the ceilings and
along the inside walls.

Ideally, I'd be able to shut off the water at the
meter where it comes in. Use a compressor and
blow out adapter to blow most of the water out
of the lines, and hope for the best. I do have a
small pump, to pump in pink RV antifreeze, but that
would likely take a LOT of pink. Ten gallons or more,
at the very least.

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 09:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Will the church be occupied or no? I'm thinking portable heaters e.g.
kerosene although you probably don't want to be in there while they're
running. Unfortunately, you'll probably also get some lingering kero
smell. I'd go ahead and drain the pipes too just in case.

Alternately, what *is* your heat and is it possible to power it up from
a portable generator?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 08:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it
gets me to thinking. I'm one of the maint guys
at church. Suppose the power goes off, and it's
below freezing.

snip

Main thing to worry about is the water pipes.

How cold is it and how long will the power going to be out?

If it's 32degrees outside and the power is going to be out for less than
24 hours there is not going to be anything to worry about...
as it would take several days before the interior of the building is
going to reach the "out-door" temperature.

Also, since it's unlikely you'd be able to blow all the water out of the
lines...you'd be better off just to keep the water running slightly and
flushing the toilets etc occasionally.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Pray for warm weather...surprised you never thought of it. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:58:02 AM UTC-4, philo* wrote:
On 10/30/2013 08:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it

gets me to thinking. I'm one of the maint guys

at church. Suppose the power goes off, and it's

below freezing.

snip

Main thing to worry about is the water pipes.

How cold is it and how long will the power going to be out?

If it's 32degrees outside and the power is going to be out for less than

24 hours there is not going to be anything to worry about...

as it would take several days before the interior of the building is

going to reach the "out-door" temperature.

Yes, too little to go on. No length of time power is out 2 days?
two months?, location, etc. How low the temp can go and for how long are critical questions. As you say, f it;s for a few days and the temps typically
don't drop lower than the upper 20s and then only at night, I
wouldn't worry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:27:01 -0500, philo* wrote:

Yes, too little to go on. No length of time power is out 2 days?
two months?, location, etc. How low the temp can go and for how long are critical questions. As you say, f it;s for a few days and the temps typically
don't drop lower than the upper 20s and then only at night, I
wouldn't worry.

I just looked at the long term weather forecast in Utah and freezing
temps are not even predicted.

Try Rochester, NY... not Utah
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 10:11 AM, IGot2P wrote:

[snipp]

Pray for warm weather...surprised you never thought of it. :-)

That seems like an appropriate solution there :-)

--
56 days until The winter celebration (Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:00 AM for 1
day).

"Girl: My Dad sometimes takes things apart to see why they don't go.
Boy: [grunt] So...? Girl: So you'd better go."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 09:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it
gets me to thinking. I'm one of the maint guys
at church. Suppose the power goes off, and it's
below freezing.

Hold an emergency service, pass the collection plate then use the proceeds to pay the electric bill.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

What kind of furnace heats the place? Does the hot water heater need
electric?

Ours is nat gas/forced air and it only needs enough electric to power
the blower (couple hundred watts). Our hot water is also gas.

During outages we run the house on a 2000 watt generator. It's
definitely "Lifeboat" and not "Cruise Ship", but we have heat, TV,
phone, and enough lights to get by. Small microwave and propane camp
stoves for cooking...

If that's the case for the church, maybe an el-cheapo generator and a
low-end cutover switch?

Gas storage might be mitigated if church members would drop by and
contribute a few gallons to keep it running.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 10:50 AM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:27:01 -0500, philo wrote:

Yes, too little to go on. No length of time power is out 2 days?
two months?, location, etc. How low the temp can go and for how long are critical questions. As you say, f it;s for a few days and the temps typically
don't drop lower than the upper 20s and then only at night, I
wouldn't worry.

I just looked at the long term weather forecast in Utah and freezing
temps are not even predicted.

Try Rochester, NY... not Utah

LOL when I saw "Mormon" I foolishly made the "Utah" assumption.

However even for NY I saw no freezing temps

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:16:56 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

Heat the building a day or two before the power is cut off?
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 3:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Don't forget to drain the water heater. And DO use some antifreeze...in
the toilet (bowl and tank), and a bit in each sink/shower drain trap.

---

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Got hose bibs outside? Open them and leave em open. It will help
drain anything above em.

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

You should be able to rent a couple LP "Salamander" type heaters with
thermostats to maintain a reasonable holding temp, and power them with a
small generator like a Honda EU2000, which if you get one of the
available extended run tanks for can let you refuel once a day if even
that frequently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:16:56 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut,

What power cut? The government conspiracy one???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:27:16 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:16:56 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut,

What power cut? The government conspiracy one???

It looks like they're having a drill to simulate a major power outage, not an actual outage.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...o-2778716.html

Still, I'll be sure to have some extra fuel for the generator.

Paul
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 9:35 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Will the church be occupied or no?

CY:Probably not, during a power cut. I think they generally send
everyone home. We had a day time winter power cut, years ago. They sent
us all home.

I'm thinking portable heaters e.g.
kerosene although you probably don't want to be in there while they're
running. Unfortunately, you'll probably also get some lingering kero
smell.

CY: That did come to mind. I'd have to check the BTU, but the church has
7 zones. I think the smaller five are 250,000 BTU per hour input, 80%
efficiency. Fire regulations (insurance) prohibit fuel burning portable
heaters. I think also electric plug in heaters also prohib.

I'd go ahead and drain the pipes too just in case.

CY: And shut off the water heaters, so they don't burn up when power
comes back.

Alternately, what *is* your heat and is it possible to power it up from
a portable generator?

CY: Natural gas. Two zones have huge 460/3 motors, five are 230/1
volt/phase motors. Might be able to borrow a 230 volt generator, and
wire in. I don't personally have any thing that does 230/1.

nate

CY: Thanks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 10:58 AM, philo wrote:

Main thing to worry about is the water pipes.

How cold is it and how long will the power going to be out?

If it's 32degrees outside and the power is going to be out for less than
24 hours there is not going to be anything to worry about...
as it would take several days before the interior of the building is
going to reach the "out-door" temperature.

Also, since it's unlikely you'd be able to blow all the water out of the
lines...you'd be better off just to keep the water running slightly and
flushing the toilets etc occasionally.

Nov 13 will probably be cold, but not bitter freezing. Sun shine in the
day will provide some heat. Might be right, about leave the water dribble.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 11:11 AM, IGot2P wrote:
On 10/30/2013 8:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

Pray for warm weather...surprised you never thought of it. :-)

Yes, you got me there. Thanks. I do need reminding.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 11:58 AM, Tim and Jammy Baker wrote:
Hold an emergency service, pass the collection plate then use the
proceeds to pay the electric bill.

Not a payment issue. Is Tammy OK, from the
time when all that make up on her face caught
fire?

(from another list)
Part 1) NatGeoTV: American Blackout
(We Can Avert the Coming Misery)

A nationwide electric power failure is so
realistically dramatized in this National
Geographic television docu-drama, and is
coincidentally aired both on and around the
same time that a U.S. Government national
power blackout drill is being conducted, that
it appears that NatGeoTV is really relaying a
government warning of a cyber-attack. The 911
attacks have shown that government fore-
warnings and drills portending an attack on
America always seem to culminate in actual government
attacks, having an ulterior motive, which are
deceitfully blamed on terrorists. The banking/
government combine appears to be preparing for
a collapse of the dollar and a suspension of
depositors' withdrawals.
A nationwide blackout would surely quell public
outrage over the seizures of depositors' life's
savings by the big banking scoundrels, who have
often demonstrated a talent for such devious grand
larceny -- in this case, the grandest of all grand
larcenies.
Please click on the FULL Screen icon [__].
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUFH...zzBf8xsafQshqw

The U.S. Government officially announces the
threat of a nationwide power failure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MSuW6yfeM

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 12:35 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

What kind of furnace heats the place? Does the hot water heater need
electric?

Ours is nat gas/forced air and it only needs enough electric to power
the blower (couple hundred watts). Our hot water is also gas.

During outages we run the house on a 2000 watt generator. It's
definitely "Lifeboat" and not "Cruise Ship", but we have heat, TV,
phone, and enough lights to get by. Small microwave and propane camp
stoves for cooking...

If that's the case for the church, maybe an el-cheapo generator and a
low-end cutover switch?

Gas storage might be mitigated if church members would drop by and
contribute a few gallons to keep it running.

Seven zones, all natural gas. Two are 460/3 systems, and five
are 230/1 systems. Yes, someone out there might have a generator.
If the NG is still on, might be able to heat one or two zones
(one, then the other) and use fans to move the heat.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 12:40 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/30/2013 10:50 AM, Oren wrote:
Try Rochester, NY... not Utah

LOL when I saw "Mormon" I foolishly made the "Utah" assumption.

However even for NY I saw no freezing temps

It's all good. I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

wrote:

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

Heat the building a day or two before the power is cut off?

Interesting idea. I'm planning for the Nov 13 nation
wide power grid failure. If it happens. if not,
then i'm still thinking and keeping the brain box
active.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 1:12 PM, Beachbum wrote:

Don't forget to drain the water heater. And DO use some antifreeze...in
the toilet (bowl and tank), and a bit in each sink/shower drain trap.

Thanks, that's the kind of thing I'd forgotten. The WH are instant
natural gas. Have to see if they have drains. shut off the NG, so they
don't burn up when power comes back on.

I'd not remembered to pink the traps. And toilets. The church has 11
toilets, and assortment of sinks and floor drains.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 1:27 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Got hose bibs outside? Open them and leave em open. It will help
drain anything above em.

Yes, that's good idea. Wonder if I should shut off
the water main first, and open all the other
faucets? Naahhhh.... just the hose bibs until the
water stops.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 2:13 PM, Pete C. wrote:

You should be able to rent a couple LP "Salamander" type heaters with
thermostats to maintain a reasonable holding temp, and power them with a
small generator like a Honda EU2000, which if you get one of the
available extended run tanks for can let you refuel once a day if even
that frequently.

Yes,that's a good idea. There is some open area in
the gym, I could blast a couple salamanders, with
minimal risk of fire. Put some cinder blocks under
the heaters.

If:
1) such heater can be found
2) can get permission to operate such.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 2:27 PM, Thomas wrote:
On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:16:56 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut,

What power cut? The government conspiracy one???

By gosh, I think he's got it!

(from another list)
Part 1) NatGeoTV: American Blackout
(We Can Avert the Coming Misery)

A nationwide electric power failure is so
realistically dramatized in this National
Geographic television docu-drama, and is
coincidentally aired both on and around the
same time that a U.S. Government national
power blackout drill is being conducted, that
it appears that NatGeoTV is really relaying a
government warning of a cyber-attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRUFH...zzBf8xsafQshqw

The U.S. Government officially announces the
threat of a nationwide power failure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MSuW6yfeM

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 2:41 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

What power cut? The government conspiracy one???

It looks like they're having a drill to simulate a major power outage, not an actual outage.

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...o-2778716.html

Still, I'll be sure to have some extra fuel for the generator.

Paul

I know I sure will be doing what I can to prepare.
Have some extra gasoline on hand, fill the truck,
and so on. I'd rather prepare for 10 drills, than
be caught short in 1 real power cut.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't read anything that says that there will
be an actual outage.

The articles I've read say that they will hold a "downed power grid
simulation" but they never say that the power will actually go out.

If I were you, I'd call your local utility and ask them what exactly is
going to happen on Nov 13 in your specific area before I started draining
pipes and filling them with antifreeze.

My guess is that you won't have to do anything because the power isn't
really going to be cut.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 3:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't read anything that says that there will
be an actual outage.

The articles I've read say that they will hold a "downed power grid
simulation" but they never say that the power will actually go out.

If I were you, I'd call your local utility and ask them what exactly is
going to happen on Nov 13 in your specific area before I started draining
pipes and filling them with antifreeze.

My guess is that you won't have to do anything because the power isn't
really going to be cut.

I hope you're right. of course, I won't go through all
the pipes and pink the traps, unless the grid goes down.
Just trying to stay ahead of trouble. If it were a real
grid down, the drone at the power co wouldn't have been
told.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 02:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/30/2013 12:40 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/30/2013 10:50 AM, Oren wrote:
Try Rochester, NY... not Utah

LOL when I saw "Mormon" I foolishly made the "Utah" assumption.

However even for NY I saw no freezing temps

It's all good. I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Hope all goes well... it would have to get very cold for more than 24
hours for there to be a real problem.

--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS85K...ature=youtu.be
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10-30-2013, 15:35, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Interesting idea. I'm planning for the Nov 13 nation
wide power grid failure. If it happens. if not,

If the alleged conspiracy were real, somebody would have also taken
steps to ensure that generators are hard to come by.

--
Wes Groleau

In any formula, constants (especially those obtained
from handbooks) are to be treated as variables.

Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2013 4:38 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 10-30-2013, 15:35, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Interesting idea. I'm planning for the Nov 13 nation
wide power grid failure. If it happens. if not,

If the alleged conspiracy were real, somebody would have also taken
steps to ensure that generators are hard to come by.

A good crisis needs misery. Lots of misery.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

No one in the Chicago area apparently knows anything about a real power disruption.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:43:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/30/2013 4:38 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 10-30-2013, 15:35, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Interesting idea. I'm planning for the Nov 13 nation
wide power grid failure. If it happens. if not,

If the alleged conspiracy were real, somebody would have also taken
steps to ensure that generators are hard to come by.

Stomin' will grab on to any excuse to get some attention. Buying a bag
of chips at the Quickie Mart becomes a project and adventure in his
world complete with government conspiracies making it a survival
issue..

A good crisis needs misery. Lots of misery.

Precisely. Since generators are not in short supply, your idea that
it's to be a manufactured crisis is undermined.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 10/30/2013 2:13 PM, Pete C. wrote:

You should be able to rent a couple LP "Salamander" type heaters with
thermostats to maintain a reasonable holding temp, and power them with a
small generator like a Honda EU2000, which if you get one of the
available extended run tanks for can let you refuel once a day if even
that frequently.

Yes,that's a good idea. There is some open area in
the gym, I could blast a couple salamanders, with
minimal risk of fire. Put some cinder blocks under
the heaters.

If:
1) such heater can be found
2) can get permission to operate such.

The LP Salamanders require a bit of power, but at least they don't stink
up the place like a kero heater will. I use a little 80k BTU/hr LP
heater in my shop occasionally, it works well and only takes a few Amps
to power the blower and ignitor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Alternately, what *is* your heat and is it possible to power it up from
a portable generator?

CY: Natural gas. Two zones have huge 460/3 motors, five are 230/1
volt/phase motors. Might be able to borrow a 230 volt generator, and
wire in. I don't personally have any thing that does 230/1.

Your best bet, safest and simplest may well be to rent an industrial
silenced diesel genset that can provide normal power for the heating
systems, can be connected at one service entrance point and having a big
fuel tank under the trailer mounted generator can be started up and
mostly ignored until it's time to shut it down, fill the tank and return
it.
Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 07:12:19 -1000, Beachbum
wrote:

Don't forget to drain the water heater. And DO use some antifreeze...in
the toilet (bowl and tank), and a bit in each sink/shower drain trap.

Just for a power cut? The home is not going on an extended vacation.
To much work for to little need is what you suggest?

No power in church. Graham.[_3_] UK diy 0 February 10th 11 09:10 PM
£12.5K for a church George UK diy 16 April 5th 07 06:30 PM
Church Cliff Metalworking 1 April 9th 06 05:31 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:58 AM
Church Cliff Metalworking 0 April 8th 06 10:54 AM