Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Church without power

Stormin Mormon wrote:
With the forecast of Nov 13 being power cut, it
gets me to thinking. I'm one of the maint guys
at church. Suppose the power goes off, and it's
below freezing.

The building is masonry, with some metal truss,
and flat roof. Roof is flat rubber, think there
is some styrofoam under the rubber. With freezing
and rewarming, there is concern about the wall
paper might be damaged by condensation when it
warms up. But, the big damage is likely to be
the water lines. Old copper, in the ceilings and
along the inside walls.

Ideally, I'd be able to shut off the water at the
meter where it comes in. Use a compressor and
blow out adapter to blow most of the water out
of the lines, and hope for the best. I do have a
small pump, to pump in pink RV antifreeze, but that
would likely take a LOT of pink. Ten gallons or more,
at the very least.

What else should I be thinking, in terms of damage
reduction?

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't read anything that says that there will
be an actual outage.

The articles I've read say that they will hold a "downed power grid
simulation" but they never say that the power will actually go out.

If I were you, I'd call your local utility and ask them what exactly is
going to happen on Nov 13 in your specific area before I started draining
pipes and filling them with antifreeze.

My guess is that you won't have to do anything because the power isn't
really going to be cut.