Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

I thought apologizing, and accepting apologies,
these two activities are not permitted.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/3/2013 7:56 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 9/3/2013 7:07 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I just gave you a link where you can get them for much less.

No you didn't, you posted the Eneloop single cell adapters.

Oops. I missed that. My apologies.

No worries. have a beer. Easy to get worked up over stupid crap on
Usenet; happens more than I'd like to admit.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

You did talk him down from $50??

I havn't gotten any scores like that.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I've yet to find any truly spectacular deals though, although it's saved
me a few times from taking a chance on appealing looking but difficult
to fix items, inferior products from a good brand, etc.

nate

I'll get things at pawn shops sometimes because I know what the heck an
item is. My best find was a 3M fiber optic test set in perfect condition
with carrying case I bought for $40.00 and it was a current model that
Graybar sold for $1,050.00. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 7:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Not even with steer horns, and dead batteries?

Maybe in Texas? O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 7:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You did talk him down from $50??

I havn't gotten any scores like that.

I've gotten things like a Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter for $30.00 and a
big rechargeable Freon leak detector with case and extra (good) battery
for $75.00, I looked it up and I think it sold new for around $400.00.
I loaned it to my pal LM or I would be able to tell the name of the
manufacturer but I think it was Ikegami. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/3/2013 12:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
AAA cells have about 1/3 the capacity of AA,
and typically same retail price per cell.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to adapt AAA
to D cells. For much of any reason.

I think he means AA to D. You can put NiMH batteries in parallel (though
you can't charge them that way) to get more mAH at the same voltage.

There are plenty of adapters that take two AA batteries and put them in
a D cell case, and these are only around $1.25 each. But not many that
take three AA batteries and do the same thing.

A low-discharge D cell costs about $8 and is 8000mAH. Three
low-discharge AA cells would be about $6 and give 6000mAH. So there's no
real upside in terms of cost per mAH.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's quite a skill. With the economy as bad as
it is, most likely a lot of folks selling tools
off, cheap. Come to think of it, there is a pawn
shop I pass by, now and again. I should visit, and
see what items they have.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

I've gotten things like a Milwaukee 1/2" Hole Shooter for $30.00 and a
big rechargeable Freon leak detector with case and extra (good) battery
for $75.00, I looked it up and I think it sold new for around $400.00.
I loaned it to my pal LM or I would be able to tell the name of the
manufacturer but I think it was Ikegami. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 10:19 PM, sms wrote:
On 9/3/2013 12:09 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
AAA cells have about 1/3 the capacity of AA,
and typically same retail price per cell.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to adapt AAA
to D cells. For much of any reason.

I think he means AA to D. You can put NiMH batteries in parallel (though
you can't charge them that way) to get more mAH at the same voltage.

There are plenty of adapters that take two AA batteries and put them in
a D cell case, and these are only around $1.25 each. But not many that
take three AA batteries and do the same thing.

A low-discharge D cell costs about $8 and is 8000mAH. Three
low-discharge AA cells would be about $6 and give 6000mAH. So there's no
real upside in terms of cost per mAH.

You're right, the only real advantage is in flexibility.

Although Thomas Distributing is selling Imedion AAs for $41/16 right
now, so that would be 7200 mAh for about $7.50. (where are you getting
cells for $2 each though? My cutoff for "it's a good deal" is around
$10/4.) I actually ordered the Imedions because i was getting my
charger replaced under warranty anyway (it still worked fine but the
wall wart crapped out) so I can save on shipping too. Now I just need
some more AAAs and I can stop buying save for the insane deals like
$3.65/4 Duraloops.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:03:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Perhaps you need to pull stakes, and move? Think
of all the money you'd save.

I DON'T THINK SO!
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/4/2013 5:12 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 9/3/2013 10:19 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

When Costco has just the batteries, without the charger, the batteries
are around $2 each. Of course you need to accept their assortment of AA
and AAA cells.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/3/2013 10:19 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Ah... I don't have a Costco membership so it'd cost me more... and if
it's the typical assortment doesn't help, as I don't really need AAs at
all but could use some more AAAs. (or C's and D's)

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldn't you sell everything you own to live
near a Costco? Sigh. I guess some people just
don't get it.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Perhaps you need to pull stakes, and move? Think
of all the money you'd save.

I DON'T THINK SO!

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/4/2013 12:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Wouldn't you sell everything you own to live
near a Costco? Sigh. I guess some people just
don't get it.

That's true. I don't know how many people I've heard complain that they
moved somewhere not realizing that there was no Costco nearby. They
ended up selling their houses, often at a loss, to move somewhere close
to a Costco.

Costco is the antithesis of Walmart/Sam's Club.
http://underthemountainbunker.com/2012/11/27/costco-the-anti-walmart/.

I once asked a friend, who was gushing about Price Club (which merged
with Costco in 1993), "Tom, how did you even survive before Price Club?"
He replied, "I survived, but it wasn't much of a life." Now he retired
on the big island of Hawaii, and of course is close to the only Costco
on the island.

Costco in Korea and Taiwan are also driving up the price or residential
real estate located close to a store.

Next year, Costco is launching their own cruise ship, "Kirkland of the
Seas." Rather than all the rip-off stores usually found on a cruise
ship, this ship will have an entire Costco on the ship (except there
will be no tire center). All the food served on board will be from
Costco. You have to buy 24 cruises at once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No tire center? I'm staying home.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/4/2013 3:48 PM, sms wrote:

Next year, Costco is launching their own cruise ship, "Kirkland of the
Seas." Rather than all the rip-off stores usually found on a cruise
ship, this ship will have an entire Costco on the ship (except there
will be no tire center). All the food served on board will be from
Costco. You have to buy 24 cruises at once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 20:10:18 -0400, Nate Nagel

On 9/3/2013 5:53 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 9/3/2013 10:30 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 8/31/2013 8:54 PM, sms wrote:

I order batteries from "http://www.batteryjunction.com/" and they
have
Eneloop, Panasonic Evolta and Tenergy Centura. They don't have Maha
Imedion batteries.

Costco sells Eneloops in AA and AAA bundles, which vary over time.
Sometimes they have a charger bundled in, sometimes they don't,
occasionally they'll have both with and without a charger.

I just purchased an Eneloop package at Costco for $23 that included
8 AA
batteries, 2 AAA, a couple each C and D adapters, and a charger. After
pricing just the batteries locally and online, I went back and bought
another package.

That's why I keep my eyes open everywhere I go in stores because you can
trip over a good deal if you know the value and prices of items.
Knowledge is power, heck, I may have to get one of those smart-ass
phones so I can compare prices and specs on things I run across. ^_^

TDD

You don't have one yet? It really is great to be able to do that, even
more so if you occasionally stop in a Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.
just for entertainment purposes.

I've yet to find any truly spectacular deals though, although it's saved
me a few times from taking a chance on appealing looking but difficult
to fix items, inferior products from a good brand, etc.

nate

I'll get things at pawn shops sometimes because I know what the heck an
item is. My best find was a 3M fiber optic test set in perfect condition
with carrying case I bought for $40.00 and it was a current model that
Graybar sold for $1,050.00. ^_^

TDD

I only have one local pawn shop and they are awful proud of their stuff.

I've never seen a pawn shop that wasn't proud of their stuff. Some
around here are also decent gun stores but they're way expensive on
other than new.

I don't think they plan on selling a whole lot. I did spot a nice old
60's Omega wris****ch there, but they couldn't be arsed to quote me a
price on it, and based on the prices on some of the other stuff there, I
wouldn't have got a deal anyway.

Probably. They know what it's worth and aren't giving the stuff away.
They seem to be able to sit on merchandise until the right person
comes along.

I have in other areas got good deals at pawn shops though, mostly
automotive tools...

Dunno about that but any power tools I've seen can be had, new,
cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:40:02 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Wouldn't you sell everything you own to live
near a Costco? Sigh. I guess some people just
don't get it.

I had a Costco membership. They went downhill so let it lapse. Now
we're a member at Sams and it's working out fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2013 2:48 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

But they're still going to sell inner tubes, right? O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

All the food from Costco? Hepatitis, yummm. I wonder if Costco supplies
replacement livers?

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 14:52:22 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

No tire center? I'm staying home.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 9/4/2013 3:48 PM, sms wrote:

Next year, Costco is launching their own cruise ship, "Kirkland of the
Seas." Rather than all the rip-off stores usually found on a cruise
ship, this ship will have an entire Costco on the ship (except there
will be no tire center). All the food served on board will be from
Costco. You have to buy 24 cruises at once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Costco trying to kill the rechargeable battery?

Like the salads with salmonella?

I heard about the berry drink with Hep A.
Totally not good.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/5/2013 9:57 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
All the food from Costco? Hepatitis, yummm. I wonder if Costco supplies
replacement livers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Note the 'be careful of fresh frozen berries' warning [with a picture of
strawberries at the side]
http://www.fhi.no/eway/?pid=240

This URL was sent regarding the article on health risk of cell phones, but
was VERY interesting for its open discussion of many health risks, such as
warning for travelers to the ME regarding respiratory virus and new STD
virus from same sex activity.

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 07:16:24 -0700, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Like the salads with salmonella?

I heard about the berry drink with Hep A.
Totally not good.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 9/5/2013 9:57 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
All the food from Costco? Hepatitis, yummm. I wonder if Costco supplies
replacement livers?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

But they're still going to sell inner tubes, right? O_o

Only for use in the pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2013 9:42 AM, sms wrote:

But they're still going to sell inner tubes, right? O_o

Only for use in the pool.

Day glow orange for safety in case the ship sinks. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

wrote:

Wouldn't you sell everything you own to live
near a Costco? Sigh. I guess some people just
don't get it.

I had a Costco membership. They went downhill so let it lapse. Now
we're a member at Sams and it's working out fine.

Me and JH have run telecom and data service calls at both those places.
I had to go to a Sam's Club late one night, get on an electric scissors
lift and trace a fiber optic cable from the front of the huge store all
the way to the back because nobody knew where the router/switch in the
back of the store was located. I believe the fracking ceiling was over
25 feet high. Most people have no idea of the extensive data networks in
modern retail stores. O_o

Until a few years ago, the Costco near me also had pneumatic tubes to
send canisters of cash and checks from the cash registers to a secure
room. I thought in interesting that NYC used to have a network of those
pneumatic tubes throughout the business district of Manhattan.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/pneumatic-system-new-york-public-library.
A lot of the tube network ended up being re-purposed for fiber-optic cables.

Costco _has_ gone downhill, though I find that it's still far better
than Sam's Club in most respects. One really nice feature of Costco is
their 2 year warranty on electronics and computers, which is actually a
3 year warranty if you use your Costco Amex to make the purchase.

Costco generally has a good selection of casual and business casual
clothing, which is the dress code in most of Silicon Valley. They have
an excellent selection of food items, including more and more gourmet
food at very good prices--stuff most people would never buy if they had
to pay the prices regular markets charge.

One of the biggest savings is in tires. The savings in a set of tires
can pay for the whole membership. The tire prices are only a bit less
expensive than a tire store, but Costco doesn't gouge for the related
services. The mounting and balancing includes new valves, they include
nitrogen inflation, and they included the road hazard warranty. They
actually honor the tread wear warranties with no hassle. Since there's
so many Costco's around, you actually have a chance of using the
warranty even on a trip. Gasoline is usually about 10˘ per gallon
cheaper at Costco.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/5/2013 9:42 AM, sms wrote:

But they're still going to sell inner tubes, right? O_o

Only for use in the pool.

Day glow orange for safety in case the ship sinks. ^_^

The good thing is that if something happens to the ship's power, the
on-board Costco will have plenty of food. No need to eat onion
sandwiches like on Carnival. Actually, judging from a report from a
relative that recently went on a Carnival cruise, the onion sandwiches
may have been the best food available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 08:08:10 -0700, sms

wrote:

[...]

That's convenient. To run a fiber, simply put stick it in one end and
push the button.

Costco _has_ gone downhill, though I find that it's still far better
than Sam's Club in most respects. One really nice feature of Costco is
their 2 year warranty on electronics and computers, which is actually a
3 year warranty if you use your Costco Amex to make the purchase.

I've never collected on an electronics warranty so it doesn't matter
much to me. The tire department went to crap and the meat became
inedible so we stopped going. The meat at the Sam's here is quite
good and the prices are more than competitive. I don't miss Costco at
all.

For that matter, I did have a "demo" BJs membership a few years ago.
Their tire department, at the time, was much better than either of the
others.

Costco generally has a good selection of casual and business casual
clothing, which is the dress code in most of Silicon Valley. They have
an excellent selection of food items, including more and more gourmet
food at very good prices--stuff most people would never buy if they had
to pay the prices regular markets charge.

I wouldn't think about buying clothes in any of the above.

One of the biggest savings is in tires. The savings in a set of tires
can pay for the whole membership. The tire prices are only a bit less
expensive than a tire store, but Costco doesn't gouge for the related
services. The mounting and balancing includes new valves, they include
nitrogen inflation, and they included the road hazard warranty. They
actually honor the tread wear warranties with no hassle. Since there's
so many Costco's around, you actually have a chance of using the
warranty even on a trip.

I recently bought a set of tires at Sams, but they didn't last long. I
had to get rid of the truck a week later (found the frame was rotted
way beyond repair). Bad planning. ;-)

Gasoline is usually about 10˘ per gallon cheaper at Costco.

Don't have a Costco to compare here, but the Sams is usually $.10 and
often $.20 cheaper than the off-brands (I usually compare to Kroger)
here. It's been more than $.20 cheaper a few times recently and at
least once, $.30 less than the brands. I haven't paid any attention
to BJs gas prices. They're out of my normal traffic pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/05/2013 02:30 PM, sms wrote:
The good thing is that if something happens to the ship's power, the on-board Costco will have plenty of food. No need to eat onion sandwiches like on Carnival. Actually, judging from a report from a relative that recently went on a Carnival cruise, the onion sandwiches may have been the best food available.

Most people could live on their own fat reserves for at least a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Next year, Costco is launching their own cruise ship, "Kirkland of the
Seas." Rather than all the rip-off stores usually found on a cruise
ship, this ship will have an entire Costco on the ship (except there
will be no tire center). All the food served on board will be from
Costco. You have to buy 24 cruises at once.

But they're still going to sell inner tubes, right? O_o

TDD

They going to have they same Captain from the Cosa
Nostra or Conta Cordia or whatever that ship was
that is sideways. Was the Cap showing the
passengers the newest Costco on the island?

They will probably have many generators on board
so the turlets keep flowing like in the stores
unlike the Clown line.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Energizer trying to kill the rechargeable battery? Cruise ship mania

On 9/5/2013 9:42 AM, sms wrote:

But they're still going to sell inner tubes, right? O_o

Only for use in the pool.

Day glow orange for safety in case the ship sinks. ^_^

TDD

Good idea! A floating third world country that has
no resources and no idea where or when it will be
at any particular time. We need to name it so we
send aid and donations. Anybody have a musician
lined up? I think I will skip on being the
benevolent dictator of this one. Stumped is my
nominee.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/5/2013 5:41 PM, Elmo wrote:
On 09/05/2013 02:30 PM, sms wrote:
The good thing is that if something happens to the ship's power, the
on-board Costco will have plenty of food. No need to eat onion
sandwiches like on Carnival. Actually, judging from a report from a
relative that recently went on a Carnival cruise, the onion sandwiches
may have been the best food available.

Most people could live on their own fat reserves for at least a year.

I think that people feel that they need to eat mass quantities on
cruises in order to get their money's worth.

I haven't been on a cruise because I know I would not enjoy the whole
experience. The only cruise I might like is one of those European river
cruises.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/4/2013 10:21 AM, sms wrote:

When Costco has just the batteries, without the charger, the batteries
are around $2 each. Of course you need to accept their assortment of AA
and AAA cells.

Costco currently has this deal on Sanyo eneloops:

8 AA
2 AAA
2 C adapters
2 D adapters
Charger

$19.89.

So forgetting about the charger and adapters, the cost per battery is $1.989

Expires 9/15.

One other thing, if you want to shop at Costco without being a member
give a member the money to buy you some $25 Costco Cash cards. You can
pay the difference in cash if you go over the $25 (not sure if you can
also use a debit card or Amex card , but probably you can).

http://www.costco.com/Costco-Cash-Card.product.10024438.html

My daughter is away at college and there's a Costco within walking
distance of her dorm. I don't want to pay another $55 for another
membership card so I can just get her a Costco cash card.