Posted to rec.woodworking
John Eppley

Default Rechargeable battery rebuilding

There were several discussions in this newsgroup relating to rebuilding
batteries. As I remember, there were several favorable comments about the
feasibility of rebuilding versus buying a new battery. I surfed the net and
found several "rebuilders". Their prices were not inviting. Rebuilding could
cost more than a new battery. (Milwaukee). Anyone have first-hand info on
this subject.??

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "John Eppley" wrote:
There were several discussions in this newsgroup relating to rebuilding
batteries. As I remember, there were several favorable comments about the
feasibility of rebuilding versus buying a new battery. I surfed the net and
found several "rebuilders". Their prices were not inviting. Rebuilding could
cost more than a new battery. (Milwaukee). Anyone have first-hand info on
this subject.??

Is there a BatteriesPlus store anywhere near you? The one near me will rebuild
battery packs at about 60% of the price of a new pack.
John

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"John Eppley" wrote in message
There were several discussions in this newsgroup relating to rebuilding
batteries. As I remember, there were several favorable comments about the
feasibility of rebuilding versus buying a new battery. I surfed the net

and
found several "rebuilders". Their prices were not inviting. Rebuilding

could
cost more than a new battery. (Milwaukee). Anyone have first-hand info on
this subject.??

I don't know where you got your battery prices, but when I went to price
batteries for my 12 year old Milwaukee cordless, they cost a fortune. I had
both my batteries rebuilt for approximately $60 each (Canadian). Works as
well as when they were new.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

John Eppley wrote:
There were several discussions in this newsgroup relating to rebuilding
batteries. As I remember, there were several favorable comments about the
feasibility of rebuilding versus buying a new battery. I surfed the net and
found several "rebuilders". Their prices were not inviting. Rebuilding could
cost more than a new battery. (Milwaukee). Anyone have first-hand info on
this subject.??

I believe that ensuring all the batteries used to replace the old ones
have the same charge rate, charged voltage, and dissipation rate is
enough to have good results with this. If you buy brand stuff from the
same batch you're probably good. If you're buying surplus you may have
to check this stuff with a multimeter.

My "first hand" experience is with a cheapo B&D cordless kit that uses
two (proprietary) batteries for some tools, one for others. There are
caveats with this kit that mirror your situation: Don't mix the
"silver" and the "gold" batteries, don't discharge one then use the pair
in the drill and expect to get good results, etc.

I also diddle a bit with MCU's and shtuff, and have looked into this
question myself with regard to an old laptop battery.

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Eppley

I e-mailed my local BatteriesPlus store for a quote. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the battery I require sells for $69-$79. A two pack for $122. However I
can buy a new drill/screwdriver with 2 batteries and a charger for $199. Go
figure.........

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"John Eppley" wrote in message
I e-mailed my local BatteriesPlus store for a quote. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the battery I require sells for $69-$79. A two pack for $122. However
I can buy a new drill/screwdriver with 2 batteries and a charger for $199.
Go figure.........

That is quite common. I think they hope most people don't know how to put
2+2 together. I once paid less for a drill, 2 batteries, charger, flash
light, and case than the price of 2 batteries.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bradford Chaucer

I've bought batteries from them and was not all that satisfied. After many
many years of use, the nicads in my Norelco razor died. I brought it into a
Batteries Plus and had the batteries replaced about 2 years ago. The new
ones are already nearly dead. Barely hold a charge for 2 uses; and no I
haven't become a wolfman of late!!

I think that they are not using the best quality cells.

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:41:18 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

Is there a BatteriesPlus store anywhere near you? The one near me will rebuild
battery packs at about 60% of the price of a new pack.
John

Posted to rec.woodworking
j.b. miller

I've always rebuilt my own battery packs ,cheaper than having someone else
do it and easy too.The 'trick' is to replace ALL the cells NOT the 1 or 2
bad ones.
It is sad that you can buy a drill/charger/batteries 'package' for less than
a spare battery. Welcome to our cheap,use once,toss out,disposible society.
My city(Hamilton,Ontario) will NOT recycle consumer
electronics,steel,aluminium,etc. go figure, it ALL gos into the nearly
stuffed landfill.
Jay

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "j.b. miller" wrote:
My city(Hamilton,Ontario) will NOT recycle consumer
electronics,steel,aluminium,etc. go figure, it ALL gos into the nearly
stuffed landfill.

The aluminum, at least, you should be able to sell to a scrap dealer. Going
rates where I live (Indianapolis) are US$60/ton for iron and steel, and 65
cents per pound for aluminum.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "j.b. miller"
wrote:
My city(Hamilton,Ontario) will NOT recycle consumer
electronics,steel,aluminium,etc. go figure, it ALL gos into the nearly
stuffed landfill.

The aluminum, at least, you should be able to sell to a scrap dealer.
Going
rates where I live (Indianapolis) are US$60/ton for iron and steel, and 65
cents per pound for aluminum.

It is like wood. some places are worth the while to recycle at the scrap
dealer some aren't. In Houston we get 38 cents per pound for aluminum.

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Eppley

I am interested in your technique for connecting the individual cells. My
industrial experience predicates welding the cells using a ribbon connector.
Do you have a small welder, or are you soldering the cells together??

I will try to rebuild my "sick" battery pack. Since I ordered 2 new
batteries, I can afford to experiment with the sick one.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Earl in Jax

Our Batteries Plus (Jacksonville Fl) is offering 20% off. I just had a
12 v PC battery rebuilt for $25. I haven't had it long enough to know
how long it will last. But the price was right.

EarlinJax

Posted to rec.woodworking
maico

Earl in Jax wrote:
Our Batteries Plus (Jacksonville Fl) is offering 20% off. I just had a
12 v PC battery rebuilt for $25. I haven't had it long enough to know
how long it will last. But the price was right.

EarlinJax

Hey all,

Try this electronics supplier: www.digikey.com or www.digikey.ca

This is the Ni-Cad page; they supplies Panasonic batteries:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/C061/1586-1587.pdf

They ship next day. I rebuilt my (two) 14.4V Dewalt packs for just
under $100 CAN. One pack costs $95-$105.

Easy to do and half the price of new batteries.

Ciao for now.

Posted to rec.woodworking
j.b. miller

I've done both, but simply soldering pretinned ends of 'Solderwick'
desoldering braid to the cells has always worked for me for the past
40+years.I use a 100 W Weller iron,3/8 chisel tip same one I use for stained
glass work.
I built a CD welder for a test once similar to a 'ni-cad' zapper,just more
power.I liked the iron better.
Jay

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Eppley

Thanks for the info. I contacted our local dealer and received a quote of
$65, plus tax, plus shipping. The total cost would be at least $84. I placed
an order for a new 18 volt drill with two batteries and a charger for $199,
no tax, no shipping. A "no-brainer". BTW, our local Lowe's and Home Depot
both carry the battery for $79 plus tax of 6%.

I will try to "rebuild" my old battery pack.......after the two new packs
arrive.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

John