momwithtools

Default Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics?

For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

NSM

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.

Cut the plugs off first. Anything with a tube is bad.

Generally it's not a good idea IMO. Stick to books. Lots of sharp edges etc.
inside things.

N Cook

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment
..com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

One of my electronic hints on
http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~diverse
is the following , most safety factors covered but I'm sure there
are more eg kid with hacksaw sawing into a power
transistor and eating the Beryllium Oxide as Sherbert Lemon

Something to keep a kid occupied on a wet weekend
Obtain a dumped VCR (older the better) and get little Johny to take apart
to the last screw and washer.
Safety note cut off the mains lead should he think of powering up,
powerful magnets inside so could nip fingers also sometimes
strong springs that need to be released carefully and some
screws and circlips may be beyond strength or dexterity of a kid.
Interesting bits to be found inside that can be instructively re-used.
Motors and solenoids usually about 12V,pulleys,belts and cogs.
Often a compact reduction gear train attached to one motor.
Infra-red LED transmitter and reciver.
Dew sensor (humidity) usually Aluminium plate screwed onto the base
of the video head assembly - holding usually white ceramic with dark grey
square on it or green epoxy lump with 2 wires coming from it.
Put on a DVM and breath on it.
Inside the capstan motor often 3 Hall effect sensors that would
need desoldering. Put about 5V on the pins that were paralleled
together on the pcb. Or find pair of pins with DVM diode
test with low forward drop in either direction to find the
power pins (assuming 4 pin variety). Monitor the voltage
between the other 2 pins with moving magnet.
Observe the video heads under a kids microscope and imagine
how those turns of fine wire are looped through that tiny hole.
Count all the bits and pieces that make up a VCR

Bob Shuman

It depends on their ages.... I recall spending many an afternoon taking
apart junker TVs and radios (and lawnmowers, etc.) that I found in the
garbage during Spring clean up. I did this in my parent's basement and
garage. It led me to experiment with the components I salvaged and
eventually led to electrical engineering and computer science degrees. I
still love to fix stuff and see how it works ... to my wife's dismay, I even
still pull items occasionally from the neighbor's trash pick up and in some
cases even return them to them working again.

Go for it if they are old enough not to get hurt. Just make sure you know
and warn them about any hazards.

Bob

"NSM" wrote in message

"momwithtools" wrote in message

lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart

some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or

appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that

would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.

Cut the plugs off first. Anything with a tube is bad.

Generally it's not a good idea IMO. Stick to books. Lots of sharp edges

etc.
inside things.

TCS

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:50:25 -0500, momwithtools wrote:
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

Don't forget to warn the parents.

The only thing more dangerous than a programmer with a soldering iron is a
10 year old with a set of screwdrivers and an interest in seeing the insides
of everything.

John Bachman

wrote:

For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

The answer to your subject question: No! It is not a safe project.

That being said, there are many of us who did exactly that in the
basements of our homes, spawning interesting and lucrative careers.
It was not a safe activity there either, but who would be at fault?
Us that is who.

In your situation who?

My advice is to find another way to introduce your students to
electronics. How about a hands on description of how video games
work?

JMHO

John

Ken Weitzel

TCS wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:50:25 -0500, momwithtools wrote:

For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

Don't forget to warn the parents.

The only thing more dangerous than a programmer with a soldering iron is a
10 year old with a set of screwdrivers and an interest in seeing the insides
of everything.

And check with the secretary treasurer of the school board...
make sure there's (number of kids * millions of dollars) worth
of insurance in place.

hemyd

wrote:
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart

some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or

appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that

would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

Don't forget to warn the parents.

The only thing more dangerous than a programmer with a soldering iron is a
10 year old with a set of screwdrivers and an interest in seeing the

insides
of everything.

I was such a 10 year old (almost 50 years ago). Got an electric shock from
just about everything around. Lucky to be alive.

There are nasty chemicals, sharp glass and sharp wires and springs to be
found in such equipment. As with anything that young kids do, a certain
level of parental supervision is required, depending on your kids' age and
common sense. This newsgroup and a search through Google should help you
determine what dangerous components and substances to look out for.

Henry.

Luca T.

hemyd

wrote:

[...]

There are also electronic kits for children. A discussiob on a circuit board
is (in my opinion) woth more than pulling it apart. Pulling a component
apart will usually not indicate to a child how it works.

I recall as a 6 year old 'dismatling' an old capacitor. I expected to find
some magic mechanism inside. All I found was strips of some metallic foil
and yucky stuff. Didn't teach me anything about electronics - until I was
'bitten by the bug' 15 years later.

Henry.

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.

Cut the plugs off first. Anything with a tube is bad.

Generally it's not a good idea IMO. Stick to books. Lots of sharp edges etc.
inside things.

Consdering the things kids get into without high tech, that's kind of
a limiting approach.

Sure, there are sharp pieces of sheet metal and tensioned springs but
with supervision, such an exercise can be fun and safe.

Would have been happy following your own advice?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

momwithtools

Thanks for all the responses. More warnings than encouragement,
unfortunately. Can anyone think of an appliance or electronic you would
recommend the children take apart? Maybe one you consider "safe"? Sounds
like TVs are definitely out of the picture (no pun intended!).

Thanks again for all the great responses!
Mom With Tools

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Consdering the things kids get into without high tech, that's kind of
a limiting approach.

Sure, there are sharp pieces of sheet metal and tensioned springs but
with supervision, such an exercise can be fun and safe.

Would have been happy following your own advice?

No, but it wasn't a school supervised project, and back then we thought
carbon tet was ok to breathe! We've learned a lot since then.

NSM

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
Thanks for all the responses. More warnings than encouragement,
unfortunately. Can anyone think of an appliance or electronic you would
recommend the children take apart? Maybe one you consider "safe"? Sounds
like TVs are definitely out of the picture (no pun intended!).

You'd be better off to invite someone with the skills to do a show and tell
for you.

Sam Goldwasser

"momwithtools" writes:

Thanks for all the responses. More warnings than encouragement,
unfortunately. Can anyone think of an appliance or electronic you would
recommend the children take apart? Maybe one you consider "safe"? Sounds
like TVs are definitely out of the picture (no pun intended!).

Right, basically stay away from TVs, CRT monitors, abd microwave ovens.

The primary dangers from others devices are sharp sheet metal, and maybe
a few springs. Most equipment doesn't really have dangerous chemicals
as long as the kids wash their hands after handling the stuff. But
there may be plenty of just plain dirt and dust in used equipment.

Tape recorders and players, CD/DVD players and CD/DVD drives, boomboxes,
talking toys, remote controlled or motorized toys, and so forth should
be low risk. Things with motors will certainly be more exciting than
stuff like receivers without moving parts.

I agree that if they are too young, better to have someone do the taking
apart while explaining each part. But once they are handy with a screwdriver,
it will be difficult to prevent a curious mind from exploring....

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Michael Black

Sam Goldwasser ) writes:
"NSM" writes:

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.

Cut the plugs off first. Anything with a tube is bad.

Generally it's not a good idea IMO. Stick to books. Lots of sharp edges etc.
inside things.

Consdering the things kids get into without high tech, that's kind of
a limiting approach.

Sure, there are sharp pieces of sheet metal and tensioned springs but
with supervision, such an exercise can be fun and safe.

Would have been happy following your own advice?

I suspect for many here, they were young when they get interested
in electronics. But as the decades go by, they lose track of that.

I passed the test for a ham license in elementary school, though
it was in June so I wasn't technically licensed until I was finished
with grade six (and here, that's when elementary school ended).

That was right on the cusp of tubes disappearing, so later that year
I did have plenty of tube equipment to play with.

I think taking apart things has a tendency to demistify things. Not
so much in learning, but with everyone so afraid of electronics, a
certain familiarity with what's inside changes that at least a bit. But
random taking things apart isn't likely to be useful, unless those doing
it have an interest (and a limited bit of knowledge so some of the things
are identifiable) or the adult (given that this seems to be a school project)
has taken the time to get some grounding so they can point out what's what.

If someone is really concerned about safety, they could either strip out
the switching supplies in those VCRs, or restrict the project to battery
operated items like cassette players and portable radios.

Michael
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article i_aPd.43462$L_3.31200@clgrps13, says...

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.

Cut the plugs off first. Anything with a tube is bad.

Generally it's not a good idea IMO. Stick to books. Lots of sharp edges etc.
inside things.

I disagree. Taking things apart was one of the major starting
points for me in learing about electronics (I started when I was about
five or so).

Properly supervised, and taught to use the correct tools and
procedures, such activity could be very beneficial in later life, and
not just for electronics. General mechanical knowledge of
disassembly/reassembly teaches logic, hand-eye coordination, and
(perhaps most importantly) safety in what NOT to do!

My suggestion would be to hitch up with the local amateur radio
club. A listing of such can be found at
http://www.arrl.org -- I would
wager they could come up with an easy way to merge their introductory
program to yours.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Asimov

"momwithtools" bravely wrote to "All" (11 Feb 05 17:50:25)
--- on the heady topic of "Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics?"

mo From: "momwithtools"
mo Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:10246

mo For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart
mo some old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into
mo each product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or
mo appliances we should stay away from because of chemicals or something
mo else that would be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
mo Thank you!
mo Mom With Tools

The lead (Pb) on circuit boards is very toxic to children and can lead
to brain damage resulting in developmental retardation. Some
heatsinks have highly toxic beryllium oxide insulators which can be
dangerous if broken or scratched. Be sure they always wash their hands
well. Any cuts or scratches must be thoroughly flushed clean in
addition to disinfection. There are new studies implicating common
plasticizers (phtalates), which may cause reproductive abnormalities,
repressed immune system. It has been found that these are breaking
down in the environment into more toxic forms instead of dissipating.
Never let children chew on plastic pens, wire insulation, parts, etc,
which tend to leach such plasticizers. There are many unknown circuit
cleaning compounds which trace amounts may have deleterious effects.
The list is long but I'll probably get flamed for just these few...

A*s*i*m*o*v

TimPerry

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
Thanks for all the responses. More warnings than encouragement,
unfortunately. Can anyone think of an appliance or electronic you would
recommend the children take apart? Maybe one you consider "safe"? Sounds
like TVs are definitely out of the picture (no pun intended!).

Thanks again for all the great responses!
Mom With Tools

Unfortunately disassembly of most modern electronics give no real clue as to
how or why it works. is all little black blobs soldered to pc boards.

Old real to real recorders or VCRs have enough mechanical gizmos in them to
make it interesting.

An older radio receiver with slide rule tuning might be fun. (restringing
one is a fading art)

Cassette decks have a lot in the way of gears and motors and clutch
assemblies.

Older car radios (if you can find any) with the mechanical pushbuttun
tuning... (remember pulling out to set the preset?)

old computers. how many 286 Leading Edges or Epsons are there laying
around? you cant tell much but you get the idea of how ISA cards go in and
out of slots.

I'd estimate dismantling this stuff, as long as its not plugged in, is safer
then skateboarding on the half pipe.

N Cook

"momwithtools" writes:

[...]

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/lasersam.htm
| Mirror Sites:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the

excessive
traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above

is

I must have been about 7 when I got my first 240V electric shock.
Bedroom light switch was a push/push switch on the end of a
vertical cord from the ceiling. I must have thought it was safe
to unscrew the housing on this switch , when the light was off, to see
what was inside.

Sam Goldwasser

(Michael Black) writes:

Sam Goldwasser ) writes:
"NSM" writes:

[...]

If the wall plug is cut off, a switching supply is no more dangerous
than anything else. The caps don't stay charged very long and to be
sure, it's a simply matter to short out the big one(s).

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Tim Schwartz

Hello all,

A local school in my area has an annual science day (called Super
Science saturday) and one of the activities is a 'take apart' corner,
where there are various old appliances, radios, toasters, VCR's and
computers and tools for taking them apart.

I think the key here is PROPER SUPERVISION to make sure that items with
really sharp edges are tossed, and that the kids don't get to wild, like
trying to stab a screwdriver through sheet metal. For example, younger
kids get plastic housed boom-boxes, where as older ones might get a
toaster that could have some sharp metal edges. I'd cut off all power
cords in advance, and I'd skip items with CRT's (picture tubes) or any
other glass items. Don't forget to have a few trash barrels handy (or
access to a dumpster), as the stuff takes up even more space when
apart. You'll also have to decide if they can take home some parts
(treasure to some kids) or not, or leave that decision up to their
parents.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

momwithtools wrote:

For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

Sam Goldwasser

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee writes:

[...]

My guess would be that the people who think taking things apart is a stupid
dangerous idea are those who had no strong interests in electronics or
engineering in general as a kid and only went into a technical field
for other reasons. I know this may be a gross over generalization but
I can't imagine someone who actually had a early passion for how things work
to make such a statment.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Sam Goldwasser

"Asimov" writes:

[...]

I certainly agree that eating the components on circuit boards is not
advised but it's more likely you'll find something toxic playing in dirt than
on a most circuit boards. Beryllium is very rare in consumer electronics.

And, yes, if they are too young follow instructions not to lick their
fingers until thoroughly cleaned, thena show and tell would be better.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

BOB URZ

Ken Weitzel wrote:

TCS wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:50:25 -0500, momwithtools wrote:

For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

Don't forget to warn the parents.

The only thing more dangerous than a programmer with a soldering iron is a
10 year old with a set of screwdrivers and an interest in seeing the insides
of everything.

And check with the secretary treasurer of the school board...
make sure there's (number of kids * millions of dollars) worth
of insurance in place.

Hell, in most schools around here most of the items in my tools
box are considered weapons with possible expulsion for possession.

Back in HS electronics shop, we used to charge up the high voltage
caps in the bench shop stations drawers in case some unsuspecting under class man would grab one
across the leads. Dam cruel

Bob

BOB URZ

wrote:

[...]

I remember when i was 16 in HS sourcing a single large TO3 power transistor and
trying to build a car stereo amplifier out of a single one.
Of course at the time, i had no clue on class A, B or circuit topology and
such. I figured a couple of resistors and i was good to go. Needless to say, it
never made it off the bench and into my car. But the 8 track tapes back then
were sure cool!

Bob

BOB URZ

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"momwithtools" writes:

[...]

Do you think someone could resurrect a company like Heath used to
be and sell electronic kits these days? I sure thought that was great
fun and educational. But i fear the nintendo generation cares more
about flashing lights than what makes them work.

Bob

BOB URZ

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Asimov" writes:

[...]

All these years of sniffing solder fumes and non of my vital
body parts has fell off (yet)

I did have a TV fall of a 8' high shelf and bop me on the head and
body and knock me silly. So i guess TV can cause brain damage.

Bob

Bob Shuman

I would suggest something that they are intimately familiar with, say maybe
an old computer or something similar. At least you could show them all the
components (Power Supply Motherboard, RAM, Processor, Disk drives, Floppy,
CD-ROM, Peripherals, Interfaces to USB, Power, etc.) I think they could
learn a lot if you do it right. Just make sure they understand that there
are lethal voltages inside most electronics so they should never try it at
home by themselves.

The only other thought is if you want to do "safe", try to stick with
something lower voltage such as battery powered hand held electronics (old
walkman, gameboy, etc.), but these are less interesting and are small and
sometimes more difficult to open up.

Good luck Please do let us know what you decide to do and how it goes from
the kids and parents perspectives.

Bob

"momwithtools" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
Thanks for all the responses. More warnings than encouragement,
unfortunately. Can anyone think of an appliance or electronic you would
recommend the children take apart? Maybe one you consider "safe"? Sounds
like TVs are definitely out of the picture (no pun intended!).

Thanks again for all the great responses!
Mom With Tools

TCS

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 12:07:02 -0600, BOB URZ wrote:
Hell, in most schools around here most of the items in my tools
box are considered weapons with possible expulsion for possession.

Back in HS electronics shop, we used to charge up the high voltage
caps in the bench shop stations drawers in case some unsuspecting under class man would grab one
across the leads. Dam cruel

I had a HS physics teacher who had us do a lab where we were supposed to charge
up a cap and see the cute little spark when we discharged it. I got out a 50V
10,000uf cap and charged it up with a current limited PS. I then discharged it
with a screwdriver and permenantly welded it to the cap's termnals.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

Do you think someone could resurrect a company like Heath used to
be and sell electronic kits these days? I sure thought that was great
fun and educational. But i fear the nintendo generation cares more
about flashing lights than what makes them work.

It would be nice if somebody would try. I remember in the early 90s when the
Heathkit catalog came in the mail how eager I was to look inside at all the
neat stuff. Trouble is that they got out of the business before I was able
to build anything but the simplest kits they sold. I think the most complex
one I ever did was a 9V powered "portable" motion detector.

William

Michael Black

BOB URZ ) writes:
Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"momwithtools" writes:

[...]

But there are still companies making kits, though they may not be
as fancy as Heathkits. For that matter, Heathkits had such detailed
instructions that anyone was supposed to be able to build them if
they followed the instructions.

I think many people look at this wrong. "KIds today aren't interested,
they have other things" when maybe it's more like, "Kids aren't interested
because we haven't promoted these things".

A few years ago, I went to a few regional science fairs. And it looked
pretty much the same as when I was a kid. There were the ones who
produced a good science fair project, but it was a fairly generic
topic (what's inside makeup), or whatever the trend was, but really
well presented. But there were the ones where clearly the people doing
it had an interest in these things, and the science fair wasn't about
"doing good schoolwork" but in pursuing something they were already
interested in.

And realistically, science hobbies may never have been all that popular,
though maybe more visible (if for no other reason than that you could
find pertinent magazines on the newsstand). I was the only kid in school
who had a ham license in elementary school, I'm pretty sure I was the only
one in high school who had one, though I knew of a few who were interested
and pursued it to some extent. This was in the early seventies.

In the years since, there's been all kinds of "let's make the ham license
simpler, so more people can get involved" but very little about making the
hobby more visible. The local ham clubs don't get the notice of their
fleamarkets into the papers, they don't poster, they don't even post
in the local buy and sell newsgroups. Yet these can be useful to more
than hams, since hobbyists would be interested in the parts and books
and test equipment. If you can't even do this low level publicizing,
it's no wonder "kids today" don't find their way to the hobbies.

I can't remember whether I had an interest in electronics before
I learned of amateur radio, but I learned of ham radio because it
was in the Scout magazine I got, and in one of the children's magazines
I got, and that certainly caused an interest in electronics. IN
effect, we are talking propaganda, because if you make something sound
interesting, that will get people interested.

But it's rare to see any mention of the hobby outside it's circles.

The same applies to the other technical hobbies.

Michael

Bob Shuman

Your Boy's Life magazine story reminds me of the time I spent a year or two
back with a 12 year old boy who had "screwed up" an old computer and no
longer had it working. The parents asked if I could look at it. Once I got
the software issue fixed, we took a look at the hardware since it was
running terribly slow. He really enjoyed getting it apart and putting in a
faster processor and some extra memory that I had gathering dust on the
shelf. At the time I couldn't help but think how much he reminded me of
myself many years ago.

Bob

"Michael Black" wrote in message
I can't remember whether I had an interest in electronics before
I learned of amateur radio, but I learned of ham radio because it
was in the Scout magazine I got, and in one of the children's magazines
I got, and that certainly caused an interest in electronics. IN
effect, we are talking propaganda, because if you make something sound
interesting, that will get people interested.

But it's rare to see any mention of the hobby outside it's circles.

The same applies to the other technical hobbies.

Michael

NSM

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

My guess would be that the people who think taking things apart is a

stupid
dangerous idea are those who had no strong interests in electronics or
engineering in general as a kid and only went into a technical field
for other reasons. I know this may be a gross over generalization but
I can't imagine someone who actually had a early passion for how things

work
to make such a statment.

Guess again. I just remember what dangerous things I did - and survived. Not
a smart way to learn. Why not show them how to build a crystal set, and
later to add some transistors to it?

Bob in PHX

posted 4 times,,, must be the brain damage......

bob in phx
"BOB URZ" wrote in message

News==----
Newsgroups