Bob Shuman

It depends on their ages.... I recall spending many an afternoon taking
apart junker TVs and radios (and lawnmowers, etc.) that I found in the
garbage during Spring clean up. I did this in my parent's basement and
garage. It led me to experiment with the components I salvaged and
eventually led to electrical engineering and computer science degrees. I
still love to fix stuff and see how it works ... to my wife's dismay, I even
still pull items occasionally from the neighbor's trash pick up and in some
cases even return them to them working again.

Go for it if they are old enough not to get hurt. Just make sure you know
and warn them about any hazards.

Bob

"NSM" wrote in message

"momwithtools" wrote in message

lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart

some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or

appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that

would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.

Cut the plugs off first. Anything with a tube is bad.

Generally it's not a good idea IMO. Stick to books. Lots of sharp edges

etc.
inside things.