Bob in PHX

posted 4 times,,, must be the brain damage......

bob in phx
"BOB URZ" wrote in message

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Asimov" writes:

"momwithtools" bravely wrote to "All" (11 Feb 05 17:50:25)
--- on the heady topic of "Is it safe for kids to take apart
electronics?"

mo From: "momwithtools"
mo Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:10246

mo For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take
apart
mo some old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes
into
mo each product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics
or
mo appliances we should stay away from because of chemicals or
something
mo else that would be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
mo Thank you!
mo Mom With Tools

The lead (Pb) on circuit boards is very toxic to children and can lead
to brain damage resulting in developmental retardation. Some
heatsinks have highly toxic beryllium oxide insulators which can be
dangerous if broken or scratched. Be sure they always wash their hands
well. Any cuts or scratches must be thoroughly flushed clean in
addition to disinfection. There are new studies implicating common
plasticizers (phtalates), which may cause reproductive abnormalities,
repressed immune system. It has been found that these are breaking
down in the environment into more toxic forms instead of dissipating.
Never let children chew on plastic pens, wire insulation, parts, etc,
which tend to leach such plasticizers. There are many unknown circuit
cleaning compounds which trace amounts may have deleterious effects.
The list is long but I'll probably get flamed for just these few...

I certainly agree that eating the components on circuit boards is not
advised but it's more likely you'll find something toxic playing in dirt
than
on a most circuit boards. Beryllium is very rare in consumer
electronics.

And, yes, if they are too young follow instructions not to lick their
fingers until thoroughly cleaned, thena show and tell would be better.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

All these years of sniffing solder fumes and non of my vital
body parts has fell off (yet)

I did have a TV fall of a 8' high shelf and bop me on the head and
body and knock me silly. So i guess TV can cause brain damage.

Bob

News==----
Newsgroups
=----