hemyd

"TCS" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:50:25 -0500, momwithtools

wrote:
For an elementary school project, I'd like the children to take apart

some
old electronics to get an idea of how things work, what goes into each
product, etc. My question is: Are there certain electronics or

appliances
we should stay away from because of chemicals or something else that

would
be unsafe for the children? Please advise.
Thank you!
Mom With Tools

Don't forget to warn the parents.

The only thing more dangerous than a programmer with a soldering iron is a
10 year old with a set of screwdrivers and an interest in seeing the

insides
of everything.

I was such a 10 year old (almost 50 years ago). Got an electric shock from
just about everything around. Lucky to be alive.

There are nasty chemicals, sharp glass and sharp wires and springs to be
found in such equipment. As with anything that young kids do, a certain
level of parental supervision is required, depending on your kids' age and
common sense. This newsgroup and a search through Google should help you
determine what dangerous components and substances to look out for.

Henry.