BOB URZ

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"momwithtools" writes:

Thanks for all the responses. More warnings than encouragement,
unfortunately. Can anyone think of an appliance or electronic you would
recommend the children take apart? Maybe one you consider "safe"? Sounds
like TVs are definitely out of the picture (no pun intended!).

Right, basically stay away from TVs, CRT monitors, abd microwave ovens.

The primary dangers from others devices are sharp sheet metal, and maybe
a few springs. Most equipment doesn't really have dangerous chemicals
as long as the kids wash their hands after handling the stuff. But
there may be plenty of just plain dirt and dust in used equipment.

Tape recorders and players, CD/DVD players and CD/DVD drives, boomboxes,
talking toys, remote controlled or motorized toys, and so forth should
be low risk. Things with motors will certainly be more exciting than
stuff like receivers without moving parts.

I agree that if they are too young, better to have someone do the taking
apart while explaining each part. But once they are handy with a screwdriver,
it will be difficult to prevent a curious mind from exploring....

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Sam,

Do you think someone could resurrect a company like Heath used to
be and sell electronic kits these days? I sure thought that was great
fun and educational. But i fear the nintendo generation cares more
about flashing lights than what makes them work.

Bob