Mark

Default Sony Clie TJ27 - battery problem

I dropped the PDA and initially it turned on fine when it was on battery and
when plugged in a symbol came on that indicated it was charging, but the
information on the LCD was scrolling extremely fast. I took it apart and
fixed the scrolling by making sure the flexible ribbon cables were fully
seated.
After putting it back together the PDA did not turn on with just the
battery connected. When connected to AC, the battery status indicated that
the battery was 100%. Even when I disconnected the battery, the battery
status
indicates that the battery is 100%, which obviously means that the PDA is
not properly sensing the battery. The voltage of the battery was about 4 V
and it is labeled as a 3.7 V Lithium-ion battery.

There are 2 components (SMT) that directly connect to the + lead of the
battery. No voltage was present at the other end of one of these components
(also resistance measurement was at infinity across this component). I
temporarily bypassed this component with a plain wire. Now the PDA operates
on battery, but the % battery power remaining seems to jump up when I first
turn it on and after just 1 minute it decreases rapidly to a level that the
power was at before I attempted to recharge the battery using A/C. So, it
appears that the battery is running the PDA but my attempts to recharge the
battery only result in a very temporary increase in % battery power
remaining. After 1 minute, the % battery power returns to the level it was
at the last time it was used on battery power alone (i. e. the same level
seen just before I attempted recharging it.) Prior to dropping the PDA, I
had no problems with recharging the battery.

With the wire bypass in place & the PDA is powered by A/C, there is no
symbol indicating that it is recharging. However, the % battery power
remaining does slowly increase in value. As stated above, when you
disconnect the A/C, any increase obtained is rapidly lost (about 1 minute).

What's the likely problem?

I realize this is difficult, but can what component (diode, capacitor,
resistor) did I bypass?
(I took a high mag photo of it before I placed the wire to bypass it and can
email it to you.)

Besides buying another PDA, is there anything else I should try?

It seems like I'm so close to making this work again, that I hate to give up
on it.

Thanks,

Mark