Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 18v Rechargeable Battery

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I've heard, low but not totally dead. Some cells will exhaust
first, and the weak cells will be damaged.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"ItsJoanNotJoann" wrote in message
Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:23:02 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

Never a good idea to run them all the way down. That is left over
from the old ni-cad days of the 70's or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??

What technology?

Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

Always before it's *completely* dead. NiCds and NiMH should never be run down
to zero because they'll reverse charge. Recharging them often doesn't hurt
them but they shouldn't be left on charge for long periods. LiIon is a little
different. There is a limit to the number of charge cycles, no matter how
deep they are. They shouldn't be recharged until it's needed to keep the
cycles to a minimum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:27:06 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

From what I've heard, low but not totally dead. Some cells will exhaust
first, and the weak cells will be damaged.

For NiCds (probably what these are), not so low. ...but you're correct,
recharge them at the first sign of the tool slowing. They can be topped off
before storage, too, but not left in a (dumb) charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the answers. I had been letting these
18v batteries go completely dead but I won't do that again. I've only
charged them 2 or 3 times but I know now to recharge them when they're
low. I never leave them in the charger plugged in either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

Never a good idea to run them all the way down. That is left over
from the old ni-cad days of the 70's or so.

Aren't those tool batteries still ni-cad?

I know the cellphones and laptops have li-on, but not sure about the
tools.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

*You should check the tool manual for charging. It varies according to the
type of battery. I bought a Porter Cable drill last year with NiCad
batteries which I had always thought needed to be run down before charging.
However according to the manual the batteries can be recharged at any time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 7:39*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? *This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

*You should check the tool manual for charging. *It varies according to the
type of battery. *I bought a Porter Cable drill last year with NiCad
batteries which I had always thought needed to be run down before charging.
However according to the manual the batteries can be recharged at any time.

The old "memory" problems with nicads seem to have been alleviated and
now you don't have to completely discharge them before recharging.
However, if you have nicads that are more than 4 or so years old, they
might still have the memory problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in
:

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

*You should check the tool manual for charging. It varies according
to the type of battery. I bought a Porter Cable drill last year with
NiCad batteries which I had always thought needed to be run down
before charging. However according to the manual the batteries can be
recharged at any time.

NiCds are the easiest type to charge;you can charge by temp sensing or by
deltaV. NiMH are a bit touchier,and Li-ion are the trickiest.
NiCds are basically "use or lose",IMO.
IMO,NiCds do best with a fast charger,1 hr or less.

But I prefer NiMH,they don't grow dendrites and short out like NiCd,and
have a higher MAH than NiCd,and the ones I have seem to have a lower self-
discharge rate.

I've read that Li-ion only last about 3 years,they lose capacity with each
discharge-charge cycle,no matter how you treat them. but you can charge Li-
ion,leave them stored and months later pick up the tool and use it without
first recharging.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 08:37:34 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

There might still be ni-cads out there, but you're crazy if you buy
one. Li-ion is *so* cool. More power/weight, stays full power
until the very end-- and re-charges in 20 minutes.

Jim

Whoa......
I question the 20 min. recharge!!!!

My cellphone has a Li-ion battery and it takes well over an hour to
recharge if it's fully drained. Probably closer to 2 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There might still be ni-cads out there, but you're crazy if you buy
one. Li-ion is *so* cool. More power/weight, stays full power
until the very end-- and re-charges in 20 minutes.

Jim

Whoa......
I question the 20 min. recharge!!!!

My cellphone has a Li-ion battery and it takes well over an hour to
recharge if it's fully drained. Probably closer to 2 hours.

Oops-- 30 minutes according to the specs.
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...PS130-2A#specs

I've never tested it as I can't run the other battery down in 30
minutes.

My milwaukee is the same-
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2450.../dp/B001F7BIH6

I can't get over how much power is in those tiny little 12v li-ions.
I've had them 3-4 yrs now-- The chargers are apparently smart as I
keep a battery in the charger and the batteries are still like new.

And I've left that impact driver sitting in a cold garage for 6 months
and picked it up and used it. That doesn't happen with a ni-cad.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Aug 1, 9:49*am, Jim Yanik wrote:

But I prefer NiMH,they don't grow dendrites and short out like NiCd,and
have a higher MAH than NiCd,and the ones I have seem to have a lower self-
discharge rate.

I've read that Li-ion only last about 3 years,they lose capacity with each
discharge-charge cycle,no matter how you treat them. but you can charge Li-
ion,leave them stored and months later pick up the tool and use it without
first recharging.

The self discharge rate is the reason I quit using NiMH batteries.
They just wouldn't hold a charge worth a damn. Let a tool set a few
weeks and it had to be recharged before use. A real PITA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is it best to run an 18v battery completely dead before recharging??
Or should I recharge it when it's low but not completely dead? This
would be one of those Black & Decker batteries for all their battery
operated tools.

Never a good idea to run them all the way down. That is left over
from the old ni-cad days of the 70's or so.

And it killed cells then too.