Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rechargeable battery adapters

I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve IA" wrote in message
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N

You could easily to up to 9 volts and 300-350 mA without over charging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Special Ed" martin@kallikak wrote in message
"Steve IA" wrote in message
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are
200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N

You could easily to up to 9 volts and 300-350 mA without over charging.

Forgot to add-- make sure the polarity (i.e., is the center positive or
negative) matches and is correct or you'll fry it in a heartbeat....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:49:54 +0200 (CEST), Steve IA
wrote:

I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

No. An adapter with more than 200mA is like a bigger glass of water
than one asks for. The battery will only use as much as it wants.

OTOH, I would hesitate to use a higher voltage than recommended.

And polarity is important, essential. I bought as a spare to use for
other things a universal (multi-voltage, multi-plug) power supply
adpater for digital video cameras. Other than cutting and reconnecting
the wires, it has no way to reverse the polarity and for all the
things I have, none of them video cameras, the polarity is backwards.
I haven't been able to find out if digital video cameras actually have
that polarity, or maybe that's why the charger were sold from a shlock
outlet and not at video stores.

Steve
41N

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:49:54 +0200 (CEST), Steve IA wrote:
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

You need the same voltage, same voltage type (DC vs. AC) and at least as much
current. Having an adapter that can do more than 200ma is a good thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve IA wrote:
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N

Hi,
If you have removable batteris, charge them with the battery charger RS
sells. Having two sets of batteries will work better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:49:54 +0200 (CEST), Steve IA wrote:
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

You need the same voltage, same voltage type (DC vs. AC) and at least as much
current. Having an adapter that can do more than 200ma is a good thing.

I hate it when I accidentally hook up an AC charger to a DC battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:35:54 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:49:54 +0200 (CEST), Steve IA wrote:
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

You need the same voltage, same voltage type (DC vs. AC) and at least as much
current. Having an adapter that can do more than 200ma is a good thing.

I hate it when I accidentally hook up an AC charger to a DC battery.

I hate it even worse when I don't check the polarity first. :-p

Douglas Adams did a piece called "war on dongly things" complaining about having
boxes full of AC adapters. He had it worse as he'd buy products overseas and
then have to get a new adapter to handle the AC power and plug used in the UK.

I used to hate RS232 because there were about ten thousand ways to configure it
(DCE/DTE, h/w or s/w handshaking, what kind of h/w handshaking, bit rate,
# bits, # stop bits, parity type, gender of plug, 9 or 25 pin)

AC adapters are worse and they worsened in recent years as the product makers
no longer put their brand name on the AC adapter.

I'm seeing a trend to using USB for power. USB has power limitations but
for many devices that isn't a problem. I now have a pile of USB cables,
each going to a proprietary connector (phone, ipod, etc.) Some devices simply
have a micro-usb socket for their power. I can then plug the other end into
an AC adapter, computer, or cigarette lighter style car plug.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 10, 4:35*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
.

I hate it when I accidentally hook up an AC charger to a DC battery.

Aahhh....ac charger?? What would hold an ac charge? Oh, I get it
now.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:48:03 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

AC adapters are worse and they worsened in recent years as the product makers
no longer put their brand name on the AC adapter.

And many products that use the things have inadequate labeling on the
power input. Combined with the above, it's even harder to figure out
which AC adapter to use.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve IA wrote:
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N

The 200ma ought to be a minimum value. Of course it is possible that the
charging circuit is so cheesey that the impedance of the dongle is
actually what limits the charging current, in which chase the battery
could overheat and leak, or even explode. So try it. If it works, you
will have achieved frugality. If it doesn't, the thing was a piece of
crap, anyhow.

Anthony Straight
http://tonyelectric.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:35:54 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are
200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

You need the same voltage, same voltage type (DC vs. AC) and at least as
much
current. Having an adapter that can do more than 200ma is a good thing.

I hate it when I accidentally hook up an AC charger to a DC battery.

I hate it even worse when I don't check the polarity first. :-p

What I really meant to say was that I hate it when I hook up a DC
charger to an AC battery. I was poking a bit of fun at the fact that you
apparently missed that the OP said his device had a rechargeable
battery, so obviously he's after a DC output.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 17:37:24 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:48:03 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

AC adapters are worse and they worsened in recent years as the product makers
no longer put their brand name on the AC adapter.

And many products that use the things have inadequate labeling on the
power input. Combined with the above, it's even harder to figure out
which AC adapter to use.

When I store such a device, I made it a point to wrap the power cord around the
device so that it won't get separated from it's ac adapter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:07:44 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:35:54 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

There's no correlation. A device with a DC circuitry (just about everything)
and a device with a DC battery are the same. The device can just as easily
have the rectification in the device instead of the AC adapter and have an
AC input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:48:03 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

AC adapters are worse and they worsened in recent years as the product makers
no longer put their brand name on the AC adapter.

And many products that use the things have inadequate labeling on the
power input. Combined with the above, it's even harder to figure out
which AC adapter to use.

[snip]

Rueful chuckle. At this point, I have a couple cubic feet of 'wall wart'
chargers in my collection. Every toy or tool that died, I'd save the
chargers. When I lived in the apartments and passed 17 dumpsters on my
nightly walk, I'd salvage every charger I noticed near the top. So now
when I find some new toy at a store that turns out to not include a
charger, or buy something at a garage sale that is missing the charger,
it is about 50-50 odds that I have one in stock that will work. I have
bought a couple at rat shack, but their prices are outrageous, so I try
to avoid that. As long as they are not more than half a buck or so, I do
buy the orphan chargers I see at garage sales and thrift stores, unless
I know I already have several of that flavor. Anybody that is looking
for an oddball one, next time you pass a Goodwill, stop in- they usually
have several hanging on a board.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N

Contrary to what others have said the voltage present at the
radio could be critical. It depends on what is in the radio. Some IC's
have voltage maximums that may be reached by some 7.5 volt poorly
regulated adaptors.

A rechargeable battery should not be overcharged. Heat from
overcharging/overvoltage will damage the battery. 7.35 charging
volts is maximum.

A well regulated 6 or 7.5 volt DC adaptor of any current rating
of 200 ma or above will work as far as the radio is concerned, but if
you run into a poorly regulated adaptor the voltage could be 1.414
times higher than what the adaptor is rated.

If you have a few spare adaptors laying around first check that the
marked ratings are at least what the radio calls for. Then measure
the no load voltage to make sure it is under 8 volts for the radio or
under 7.35 for the batteries. Even some 6 volt adaptors can measure
more than 8 volts with no load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're recharging internal battery, the value might be important. Depends
on the design of the radio. The 200 mA limit may limit how fast the
batteries get charged.

If you're using the AC plug to run the radio (play music and news; not
charging internal battery) then higher mA won't hurt anything. mA is power
available, not necessarily power used. For example, you can plug a 1 amp
table lamp into a 20 amp socket, and the lamp uses what it needs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve IA" wrote in message
I got a portable radio w/ rechargeable battery that didn't come with the
recharging adapter. The radio states to use a 6V 200mA adapter. How
critical is the 200 mA value. I've other 6V adapters but all are 200mA.
Will it damage the battery or radio?
Thanks

Steve
41N

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:34:03 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:48:03 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

[snip]

AC adapters are worse and they worsened in recent years as the product makers
no longer put their brand name on the AC adapter.

And many products that use the things have inadequate labeling on the
power input. Combined with the above, it's even harder to figure out
which AC adapter to use.

[snip]

Rueful chuckle. At this point, I have a couple cubic feet of 'wall wart'
chargers in my collection.

That's about how much I have.

Every toy or tool that died, I'd save the
chargers. When I lived in the apartments and passed 17 dumpsters on my
nightly walk, I'd salvage every charger I noticed near the top. So now
when I find some new toy at a store that turns out to not include a
charger, or buy something at a garage sale that is missing the charger,
it is about 50-50 odds that I have one in stock that will work. I have
bought a couple at rat shack, but their prices are outrageous, so I try
to avoid that. As long as they are not more than half a buck or so, I do
buy the orphan chargers I see at garage sales and thrift stores, unless
I know I already have several of that flavor. Anybody that is looking
for an oddball one, next time you pass a Goodwill, stop in- they usually
have several hanging on a board.

I even have one 6-8VAC wall-wart that was used for an old lighted-dial
phone. BTW, the brand name on it is not "AULT".