Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

You need a receiver, don't you ! Is light going to power something ?

My comcast cable box modem, phone, runs on ac and battery backup for some
length of time.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/12 10:33 PM, micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

Info be FIOS battery here

http://www22.verizon.com/support/res...vice/95363.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/bqlpjta
Posted to alt.home.repair

I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours.. I asked about a bigger battery and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so you can never go back to it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012 02:58:05 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

You need a receiver, don't you ! Is light going to power something ?

I don't understand either half of this.

My comcast cable box modem, phone, runs on ac and battery backup for some
length of time.

Looks like Verizon does too. I will have to tell my friend.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 00:06:45 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 11/2/12 10:33 PM, micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

Info be FIOS battery here

http://www22.verizon.com/support/res...vice/95363.htm

Wow. Thanks a lot, Retired. I don't think she knows about this, and
I don't think Verizon put a good battery in the thing when they
installed it, only a short while ago. She says during the power
failure, calls went straight to voicemail without ringing the phone
even when she was home, and I noticed that myself when I called her
once. Of course it doesn't say that the phone will ring, only that
one will have power for voice service. When she called me back, I
don't know if it was on the house FIOS phone or her cell phone. Since
she knew I had called, her caller-ID on the FIOS phone must have
worked, but if that works shouldn't the bell which uses so little
current on a phone these days work too?

Maybe they just didn't connect the battery. "The Verizon supplied
battery is designed specifically for use with the Verizon FiOS
Network. Use of a battery other than a 12-Volt 7.2 Ah SLA Sealed Lead
Acid battery is not recommended"

Isn't a 12-volt 7.2Ah SLA battery a standard battery, not one designed
specifically for use with the Fios network?

or

http://tinyurl.com/bqlpjta

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 2:32*am, micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? * For intenet, phone, *and* TV? *(I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

You can charge a battery from the land phone lines.
Illegally in the UK. I expect it is illegal in America too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

Well, yeah, the modem has to be powered by SOMETHING (it's not like a tin
can on a string).

While you can install a UPS ahead of your modem, there are power
requirements for the signal up the line.

After a recent outage, a Comcast technician told me someone ripped open one
of their street-level boxes in the next block - not a small job - to steal
the two auto batteries it contained!

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that sounds like a very bad decision.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan is to
start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring
that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours.
I asked about a bigger battery and was told that the charger they use isn't
powerful enough for it.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so you can
never go back to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 22:33:37 -0400, micky
wrote:

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

I can see that in the summer, but it is cool enough that we don't run
the Air Conditioner now.

The AC in my car will kick on if it is sitting in the sun though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From what I read, some FIOS are AC/DC. Kinky!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

I can see that in the summer, but it is cool enough that we don't run
the Air Conditioner now.

The AC in my car will kick on if it is sitting in the sun though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2012 10:33 PM, micky wrote:
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

It does for a short time because it has a small capacity battery.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

No home phone here for over 5 years. Somewhere around 60% of the
population use only cell phones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2012 6:59 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/3/2012 12:14 AM, wrote:
I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan
is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber.
Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service
after a few hours. I asked about a bigger battery and was told that
the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so
you can never go back to it.

Verizon put a fios line to my house to replace the copper wire. It
connects back to the land line box. There is a battery back up in the
fios line in the house. We had been having a lot of copper wire
problems and Verizon did this to solve the problem. We do not have
internet or TV with them.

I also have Comcast and got the triple play (internet, TV and phone) as
the cheapest package when I up graded to HD sets and DVR. The modem
where phone is connected has battery backup but the internet is not
backed up, only the Comcast phone.

There was an interesting problem with comcast. The large area near here
fortunately only had some trees down but extensive power failures (and
of course the cable is down because there is no power for the various
system pieces). So if you had a generator and thought you were going to
watch all of stuff you recorded on your comcast DVR you weren't allowed
to do it because unless the cable box can talk to the mother ship you
can't use it for anything except maybe to prop a door open.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My parents have electricity but their cable/phone/internet is out and they can still watch their (Optimum) DVR.

I don't know why you can't hook up a giant battery to the fios system and maybe your own charger and disconnect their charger but their tech told me specifically that a bigger battery wouldn't work with their little charging system. I suppose you could keep a car or marine battery separately charged and just hook it up when you need to.

Also, I was told that when the power goes out it shuts off TV and internet to make the battery last longer for the more-important phone service (or maybe TV/internet use so much more power they'd drain the battery really fast).

And a lot of people forget that their cordless phones won't work without AC because the base unit needs it (although some systems allow for batteries in the base unit too).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/02/2012 09:58 PM, gregz wrote:

[snip]

My comcast cable box modem, phone, runs on ac and battery backup for some
length of time.

Greg

My cable phone box has a battery too. It'll work as long as the cable
system does. During a recent storm, that was 4 hours after power
failure. It was another 24 hours before they put in a generator to make
it work.

--
52 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The noble soul has reverence for itself" [Nietzsche]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-03-2012 00:41, micky wrote:
Wow. Thanks a lot, Retired. I don't think she knows about this, and
I don't think Verizon put a good battery in the thing when they
installed it, only a short while ago. She says during the power

They said mine would last 24 hours. It didn't last a few minutes.
I replaced the battery. It still didn't.

--
Wes Groleau

€śIf it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,
a hundred of us could be working with shovels€ť
€śYeah, and if it weren't for our shovels,
a thousand of us could be working with spoons."

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ac-719527-.htm
DA wrote:

micky wrote:

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

During the recent Sandy outage my FIOS network interface box held for about 20 hrs on its own battery. Not sure if it's about right or it's already feeling its age. Regardless, the Internet service was gone almost immediately, only TV and phone lasted. Actually, scratch that - I don't know if TV lasted much longer than 3 hours because then I ran out of juice to power the TV (and the 60W cable box). Phone lasted to the end but of course after the network interface died the phone service was gone, too.

During previous outages Internet was not down so quickly, so I'm not sure if it was some unlucky cable that a tree landed on or perhaps Verizon anticipated a long outage and shut down the power-hungry service remotely (my conjecture - I'm not sure they can do that).

So yeah, FIOS with power is awesome, FIOS without power is dead.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to alt.home.repair

A UPS seems rather inefficient- converting AC to DC then back to AC then DC?

My solution would be to get a couple of marine (or car) batteries and put them on a charger every couple of months (I have an X10 so I could program it to go on one night every two months if that's enough) and then simply jumper those batteries if the power goes out. It's not automatic but they'll hold a charge a lot longer than a UPS will.

Although I'd like to tell Verizon that they can have my century-tested copper wiring when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:

micky wrote:

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

During the recent Sandy outage my FIOS network interface box held for about 20 hrs on its own battery

Thanks a lot for the info.

If people called YOU, would you hear the phone ring during that
time? And could you answer it, or did you have to see the number and
call them back?

. Not sure if it's about right or it's already feeling its age. Regardless, the Internet service was gone almost immediately, only TV and phone lasted. Actually, scratch that - I don't know if TV lasted much longer than 3 hours because then I ran out of juice to power the TV (and the 60W cable box). Phone lasted to the end but of course after the network interface died the phone service was gone, too.

During previous outages Internet was not down so quickly, so I'm not sure if it was some unlucky cable that a tree landed on or perhaps Verizon anticipated a long outage and shut down the power-hungry service remotely (my conjecture - I'm not sure they can do that).

So yeah, FIOS with power is awesome, FIOS without power is dead.

Ugh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 5:35*pm, wrote:
A UPS seems rather inefficient- converting AC to DC then back to AC then DC?

My solution would be to get a couple of marine (or car) batteries and put them on a charger every couple of months (I have an X10 so I could program it to go on one night every two months if that's enough) and then simply jumper those batteries if the power goes out. It's not automatic but they'll hold a charge a lot longer than a UPS will.

Although I'd like to tell Verizon that they can have my century-tested copper wiring when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I had FIOS, the internet part worked well, but the phone part was
garbage and customer service sucked.....

I had a battery failure at just a few months old and they tried
charging me for a new battery

I was told you cant plug a UPS into the ONT but no one seemed to know
why..

probably because the FIOS backbone had a short life in a power
failure. the backup battery only powered the phone line.

power out? internet died, I never had FIOS TV but beieve it dies in a
power failure too.

now take a major outage like a hurricane, even if you had a whole
house power backup the fios backup is only good till the first link
fails...copper used to run forever..

my FIOS phone had trouble

after my fios got noisey for 3 months about every 12 calls a loud
buzz would be on my phone, eventually it made things unusable. verizon
reps blamed my interior wiring even though all techs at my home
replicated the issue with my house disconnected. I was under contract
for FIOS and they refused to let me out, against compan policy.

I called intermittently for 3 months every business day for 3 weeks,
and finally esclated it to the presidents office, just 2 calls to them
got a network tech to check things out and find it was a bad router in
their central office.... it effected everyone in my prefix.....

after this i was out of contract i had done my 2 years in verizon
phone hell, I got a cell phone with unlimited minutes

so I called and canceled my outgoing call package, IDIOT verizon
cancelled my entire phone line, first time they fixed it in a hour,
but some days later their system burped and callers to my business got
the this phone number is no longer in service, for 4 days. the verizon
reps didnt care and my call to their presidents office got them
yelling at me who gave you this number no one is supposed to give it
out.

after that i went with a different company

anyone is better than verizon!!!!!!

I feel sorry for anyone in a new FIOS area, unrelenting calls, junk
mail and visiting sales people at dinner time. I had the last 3 of
them escorted off my property by the police...

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
micky wrote:

If people called YOU, would you hear the phone ring during that
time? And could you answer it, or did you have to see the number and
call them back?

When the network interface was still hanging on, the phone was pretty much usable like nothing happened - calling in and out, ringing and CallerID working just fine. When it died, I think someone mentioned that my number returned a busy signal for some reason. But I can't really vouch for that - I didn't try myself and it would seem a no-answer would be more appropriate.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
micky wrote:

If people called YOU, would you hear the phone ring during that
time? And could you answer it, or did you have to see the number and
call them back?

When the network interface was still hanging on, the phone was pretty much usable like nothing happened - calling in and out, ringing and CallerID working just fine. When it died, I think someone mentioned that my number returned a busy signal for some reason. But I can't really vouch for that - I didn't try myself and it would seem a no-answer would be more appropriate.

My friend's went to voice mail right away, but maybe you have to set
voice mail up or there is none.
Posted to alt.home.repair

correct Fios has a battery at your home which is your responsibility
to maintain.

during a power failure, the battery powers your phone, for a few hours
only.

seems to me the lobbyists did their job convincing the govt that this
is ok, and we loose..

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got a fast-busy when I called a fios number after the battery died. (the line doesn't have voicemail)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
correct Fios has a battery at your home which is your responsibility
to maintain.

during a power failure, the battery powers your phone, for a few hours
only.

seems to me the lobbyists did their job convincing the govt that this
is ok, and we loose..

Mark

You are absolutely correct! I hung onto my copper line as long as I
could. A Verizon service technician told me that Verizon was not putting
any money into the maintenance of copper lines. The lines were getting
worse so outages were becoming more frequent. The number of technicians
that could repair them was shrinking as they retired or left the company
since new technicians were not being trained, at least as thoroughly, as
they needed to be to service copper lines. Finally, Verizon offered to
install FiOS for free. I found it interesting that they were charging at
the start of the changeover several years ago. I read recently that
Verizon's desire to change over more quickly has subsided since they are not
making as much money on FiOS as they planned.

I was told the battery lasts about eight hours of actual use time so
unless you make / receive calls lasting eight hours straight, the battery
should last for several days. I hate the idea of having to use a battery
for my phone in an emergency but I know that Radio Shack sells the
batteries. The batteries also last about five years at which time they
should be replaced as part of a PM program. I have been thinking about
getting a backup battery and regularly topping off the charge with a trickle
charger but I have procrastinated on this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 11:21*am, "Baron" wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message

[...]

You could have a 5 year backup battery, but if verizons FIOS backbone
only has 12 hour backup thats all you will get

The backup battery size was likely selected to fail just a bit earlier
than their entire system.

When I questioned verizon no one would EVER answer how long their
system was good for
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Baron" wrote in message
they needed to be to service copper lines. Finally, Verizon offered to
install FiOS for free. I found it interesting that they were charging at
the start of the changeover several years ago. I read recently that
Verizon's desire to change over more quickly has subsided since they are
not making as much money on FiOS as they planned.

I remember telephones were all the mechanical dial type. The touch tone
phones came out and it was extra for them. Even when you could install your
own phone they wanted extra for a touch tone line. They finally did away
with that. Not sure if the mechanical ones even work now on the lines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/4/2012 4:15 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Baron" wrote in message
they needed to be to service copper lines. Finally, Verizon offered to
install FiOS for free. I found it interesting that they were charging at
the start of the changeover several years ago. I read recently that
Verizon's desire to change over more quickly has subsided since they are
not making as much money on FiOS as they planned.

I remember telephones were all the mechanical dial type. The touch tone
phones came out and it was extra for them. Even when you could install your
own phone they wanted extra for a touch tone line. They finally did away
with that. Not sure if the mechanical ones even work now on the lines.

You can try it if your phone has a switch labeled "Tone/Pulse". Switch
it to pulse and dial a phone number (your cell) and see if the call goes
through after it gets through with all the clicking. I sell and service
telecom systems so I know how it works. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

No dial tone once the fios battery is dead. Tone or pulse, makes no difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2012 9:29 AM, George wrote:
[...]

Have not faced that problem. I do have a generator but it is not wired
in to where I have my DVR. I had thought that the recorded shows were
on a hard drive in the DVR and it always tells you how much space is
being used. We've been lucky the last few years and I can't recall more
than a half day's power outage since I bought the generator and cable or
copper line signals were never lost.