Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

josephkk wrote:

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 20:37:19 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Wes Groleau wrote:

On 11-07-2012 17:34, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowger type
Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's
first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some

I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few
days in 1973.

Not many were left by then.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating
stepper switches.

Strowger stepper.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1YMkG7qiygjslORZGAFHqGQzJE-4-IEcMxudCY1Nftoo6TKolEKcXApy8

Mike that is an ordinary stepper, not a Strowger

That was what Google barfed up when i seacrched for Strowger, and I
haven't seen the real thing since the mid '60s.

Please see:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PSh...page&q&f=false

?-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators? Are there amps or something on phone poles
between the telephone exchange and my house that depend on a source of
power that's neither the exchange or my house?

There is no "exchange" anymore, in the way there used to be these
central offices with a #5 ESS or whatever. It is all moving to ATM
backbone, which is essentially an internet backbone. They put
RT's in the neighborhood that are hooked to a fiber, and branch out
copper cable to the neighborhood. So, the switches are several hundred to
a thousand or so subscriber lines, and distributed all over the landscape,
instead of one building per town. If you drive around, you'll see these
boxes all over the place. There are usually 3 boxes, the RT unit itself,
a power entry module with an electric meter on it, and a wire cabinet.

We have Charter cable here as the only alternative to DSL (which doesn't
work well in our region due to the crappy phone cables) and they have
somewhere around 8 hours of batteries in each box, which serves a couple
blocks. When they have an extended outage, you see them bring out a
little gas generator to each pole with the Charter Pipeline box. Must
be a big pain to set up all those generators.

I can't answer to FIOS, but I'm sure there have to be neighborhood
concentrators, as they can't possibly run miles of fiber to EACH residence.
Fiber has insane capacity, so they can concentrate traffic for hundreds
of high-speed service customers onto one fiber. And, I'm sure those
concentrators only have so much backup battery capacity.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 14, 5:36*pm, Jon Elson wrote:
micky wrote:
[...]

Cable has battery powered boxes too.

I had some trees profesionally trimed, I could of died that day The
tree guy brought down a 15,000 volt main distribution line and knocked
out power for miles. had nice explosion One neighbor had no brains
and attempted to drive over the downed line so she could park her car
in her garage. Neighbors complained the outage messed up their dinner.
cable billed the tree trimers insurance for 15 grand since their main
hub was across the street. they had 50 trucks roll each to power one
amplifier repeater. the tree guys knocked over my pole light which
broke the underground power line. the whole mess took many hours to
correct, there was a burn mark in the asphalt street till it was
repaved. I stiffed the tree trimers for part of their bill for the
damage to my home....

I was going to direct traffic and would of been standing right where
that power line fell. no more bob.

Up till then I always wanted to see a high voltage short, after that I
never wanted to see one again
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

At first I didn't care about internet, because I don't have a laptop
yet, but I plan to get one. With DSL that I have now, that works
even when the power is out, right? (Assuming there is power at the
telephone company.)

No, you need power at your DSL modem/router. They will run off
DC, but the voltages vary by manufacturer.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 11:21:39 -0500, "Baron"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
correct Fios has a battery at your home which is your responsibility
to maintain.

during a power failure, the battery powers your phone, for a few hours
only.

seems to me the lobbyists did their job convincing the govt that this
is ok, and we loose..

Mark

You are absolutely correct! I hung onto my copper line as long as I
could. A Verizon service technician told me that Verizon was not putting
any money into the maintenance of copper lines. The lines were getting
worse so outages were becoming more frequent.

Some lines maybe, but I don't think any around here are going out more
frequently.

The number of technicians
that could repair them was shrinking as they retired or left the company
since new technicians were not being trained, at least as thoroughly, as
they needed to be to service copper lines. Finally, Verizon offered to
install FiOS for free. I found it interesting that they were charging at
the start of the changeover several years ago. I read recently that
Verizon's desire to change over more quickly has subsided since they are not
making as much money on FiOS as they planned.

I was told the battery lasts about eight hours of actual use time so
unless you make / receive calls lasting eight hours straight, the battery
should last for several days.

IInteresting.

http://www22.verizon.com/support/res...vice/95363.htm
that Retired posted says " your back-up battery will provide you with
power for voice service for up to 8 hours."

Seems ambiguous. I'd be happier if it said voice usage. I"m under
the impression that I have "phone service" even when I'm not using the
phone. Still it is hard to believe that a " 12-Volt 7.2 Ah SLA
Sealed Lead Acid battery" would run down in only 8 hours of non-use.

Plus that's with a fully capable battery. Sealed lead acid
batteries get old and hold less charge as time goes on.

I hate the idea of having to use a battery
for my phone in an emergency but I know that Radio Shack sells the
batteries. The batteries also last about five years at which time they
should be replaced as part of a PM program.

One more thing I have to keep track of, and then do.

I have been thinking about
getting a backup battery and regularly topping off the charge with a trickle
charger but I have procrastinated on this.

More things if I do all that.

On some ONT's there is a power jack on the side of the battery pack
where you can plug power from an auto or marine battery which would give
you a couple of days of phone. In my case of 11 days without power,
Verizon automatically transferred all of my incoming land line calls to
my cell phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Elson writes:

There is no "exchange" anymore, in the way there used to be
these central offices with a #5 ESS or whatever.

False. You can look up your Central Office location several
places. First, DSL Reports has a "find your CO" function. And
http://localcallingguide.com does as well.

Your FIOS and DSL and POTS are fed from that building.

Take the case of 314-935, a WashU prefix, that's CLLI
STLSMO07DSA at 6214 Delmar http://goo.gl/maps/tgNWk
Note the logo at the doorway.

Now, if you have POTS it's likely fed from a switch there.
If you get FIOS, (which you can't in SBC-land) it's fed from
there but all the "dial tone" is from one central switch in the
area; in DC's case, Reston VA. (You still get a 314-935 type
number...)

It is all moving to ATM backbone, which is essentially an
internet backbone.

Sure there is ATM between CO's.

There are usually 3 boxes, the RT unit itself, a power entry
module with an electric meter on it, and a wire cabinet.

That's a DLC. If you have POTS, you might be fed from one. But
the glass from it runs to ... a CO building. The DLC's are
pretty stupid; they are just muxes. The next step up is a
5ESS Remote; fed by a 5E. But the Remotes I have seen are in
buildings, not pedestals.

And FIOS is fed from a CO; I have yet to see one fed from a DLC.

We have Charter cable here as the only alternative to DSL (which doesn't
work well in our region due to the crappy phone cables) and they have
somewhere around 8 hours of batteries in each box, which serves a couple
blocks. When they have an extended outage, you see them bring out a
little gas generator to each pole with the Charter Pipeline box. Must
be a big pain to set up all those generators.

The gotcha is they do not have enough generators to do every
HFC; and if they leave them, they often grow legs.....

I can't answer to FIOS, but I'm sure there have to be
neighborhood concentrators, as they can't possibly run miles of
fiber to EACH residence.

Yes, they have such in your neighborhood. They are in beige
boxes.

Fiber has insane capacity, so they can concentrate traffic for
hundreds of high-speed service customers onto one fiber. And,
I'm sure those concentrators only have so much backup battery
capacity.

They have zero battery backup, cuz there's nothing in a FIOS
splitter needing power. Each fiber to the CO splits out to feed
32 house fibers. The splitting is done with a prism; there is
nothing powered in the box.

FIOS needs power at the house, and the CO...and nowhere else.