Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

On 11/3/2012 1:03 AM, micky wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 21:14:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a [bigger backup battery for the FIOS phone] and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

How can the charger not be powerful enough. It has weeks or months
to charge the battery, however long it is between power failures.

I had a 2nd-hand UPS and the battery wore out, and I replaced it with
a bigger one and it worked fine. I just broke out the plastic ribs
that held the smaller one in place. Of course they didnt'
specifically say a bigger battery wouldn't work, but how would the guy
you talked to know? He only "knows" what they told him.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so you can never go back to it.

I called about something and she started pushing me, over and over,
to get FIOS. I said I couldn't afford it but she said it was cheaper.
I'm still on an introductory rate for DSL and FIOS would be more, not
less.

Well,

A FIOS backup battery, at least the one in my panel, is a 12 volt gel
cell rated at 7.2 amp hours, which provides 'UP TO' 8 hours of backup.
Remember, 2 hours is a subset of UP TO 8 hours. During this event, I
got about 9 hours out of the battery.

Anyway, I'm sure the charge could handle a bit bigger battery, say 10
AH, but to hook up a car battery to it would be asking a bit much of the
charger. On the other hand, when power is out those with some knowledge
can add in more battery to run the panel while power is out. I do
this, and I disconnect my external battery when I'm not at home, since
there is no reason to run the panel when it will go to the answering
system anyway.

Lastly, keep in mind that the backup is ONLY for phone, Video and
internet goes away when the AC power is lost, at least on my panel.

Regards,
Tim
Bristol Electronics

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

wrote:

[...]

What about the rest of their network? Will it hold up for more than 8 hours?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Maybe things are different in differing locations, but I still have internet when the power fails as long as the router is connected to a UPS. The FIOS connection itself is powered by the battery, but the router (required for internet access) is not. Also, the internal controller will shut-off hte internet connection at about the 6 hour mark, reserving the remainder of the battery life for phone support only. Since many households now use FIOS or cable for phone, the emphasis is made to provide phone support for as long as possible.

As usual, YMMV

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 16:00:56 -0500, Tim Schwartz
wrote:
Well,

A FIOS backup battery, at least the one in my panel, is a 12 volt gel
cell rated at 7.2 amp hours, which provides 'UP TO' 8 hours of backup.
Remember, 2 hours is a subset of UP TO 8 hours. During this event, I
got about 9 hours out of the battery.

Posted and mailed, if you don't mind. .

Even though you weren't on the phone for most of that time? Maybe
you talked for an hour and it still went dead after 9?

Anyway, I'm sure the charge could handle a bit bigger battery, say 10
AH, but to hook up a car battery to it would be asking a bit much of the
charger. On the other hand, when power is out those with some knowledge
can add in more battery to run the panel while power is out. I do
this, and I disconnect my external battery when I'm not at home, since
there is no reason to run the panel when it will go to the answering
system anyway.

Lastly, keep in mind that the backup is ONLY for phone, Video and
internet goes away when the AC power is lost, at least on my panel.

At first I didn't care about internet, because I don't have a laptop
yet, but I plan to get one. With DSL that I have now, that works
even when the power is out, right? (Assuming there is power at the
telephone company.)

Regards,
Tim
Bristol Electronics

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't that depend on where all the power outages are? Are there
amplifers or whatever between the central station and one's home, that
require power, and might not have any?

Are there back-up generators at Bell and Verizon telephone exchanges?

Wired phones run on batteries at the central station with generators
to keep the batteries charged, but what about FIOS phone and Fios
Internet?

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are talking about days of old. Less than 40% of the population has
wired phones and phone companies see the handwriting on the wall. Many
such as Verizon sold off a bunch of those systems (Verizon sold off 13
states) to companies that will run what remains on a shoestring budget.
Stuff that they do retain will never again see the TLC of old.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:39:13 -0500, George
wrote:

Wired phones run on batteries at the central station with generators
to keep the batteries charged, but what about FIOS phone and Fios
Internet?

You are talking about days of old. Less than 40% of the population has
wired phones and phone companies see the handwriting on the wall. Many
such as Verizon sold off a bunch of those systems (Verizon sold off 13
states) to companies that will run what remains on a shoestring budget.
Stuff that they do retain will never again see the TLC of old.

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators? Are there amps or something on phone poles
between the telephone exchange and my house that depend on a source of
power that's neither the exchange or my house?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Wired phones run on batteries at the central station with generators
to keep the batteries charged, but what about FIOS phone and Fios
Internet?

You are talking about days of old. Less than 40% of the population has
wired phones and phone companies see the handwriting on the wall. Many
such as Verizon sold off a bunch of those systems (Verizon sold off 13
states) to companies that will run what remains on a shoestring budget.
Stuff that they do retain will never again see the TLC of old.

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators? Are there amps or something on phone poles
between the telephone exchange and my house that depend on a source of
power that's neither the exchange or my house?

Took a tour of a switching office once.
They have power, then backup generators, then big racks of backup
batteries.

The old copper system powered the phone from the switching office.
Your lights could be out but you could still use the phone.

With FIOS you have a few hours of battery power then you're dead.
In this last storm, my battery backup failed and had to be replaced
before I could use FIOS at all.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thats how things used to be when everyone had a wired phone. Something
like 60% of the population doesn't anymore. Providers are running away
from and spending as little as possible on the sort of infrastructure
you described.

The old copper system powered the phone from the switching office.
Your lights could be out but you could still use the phone.

With FIOS you have a few hours of battery power then you're dead.
In this last storm, my battery backup failed and had to be replaced
before I could use FIOS at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that
their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone
over to fiber.

That's their wish, but they can not force. The copper is
regulated, the fiber is not. The Suits have been making noises
about "maximizing our investment" which means "coerce people
to giving up copper..." For example, I cannot upgrade my DSL
because FIO$ is available here.

How can the charger not be powerful enough. It has weeks or
months to charge the battery, however long it is between power
failures.

Bingo, why do you care if it takes a week to fully recharge a
75AH deep cycle battery....?

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper
wire so you can never go back to it.

Unless you can make good threats...their legal basis is iffy.

I called about something and she started pushing me, over and
over, to get FIOS. I said I couldn't afford it but she said it
was cheaper.

Bingo. And FIO$ keeps going up in cost.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

"tm" writes:

What about the rest of their network? Will it hold up for more than 8 hours?

There is nothing active between the FIOS CO and your ONT.
If your ONT has power, there's no reason for it to go down.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

micky writes:

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators?

They better; a CO is required to have backup power and does.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

David Lesher wrote:

I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that
their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone
over to fiber.

That's their wish, but they can not force. The copper is
regulated, the fiber is not. The Suits have been making noises
about "maximizing our investment" which means "coerce people
to giving up copper..." For example, I cannot upgrade my DSL
because FIO$ is available here.

How can the charger not be powerful enough. It has weeks or
months to charge the battery, however long it is between power
failures.

Bingo, why do you care if it takes a week to fully recharge a
75AH deep cycle battery....?

With the internal charger? It would look like a bad battery and shut
down, if the charger design is any good.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper
wire so you can never go back to it.

Unless you can make good threats...their legal basis is iffy.

How do you propose a way to force them to keep copper when a lot of
'copper' circuits are only metallic for the last mile or less? IOW,
it's already mostly a fiber backbone. That last mile has the highest
maintenance costs, and will be replaced no matter what you want. The
line to my house has had an intermittent hum problem that they can't
find. When it shows up I call on a VOIP number to report it. The line
clears up about three to five minutes before they arrive, or it starts
working right after they verify that there is a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

David Lesher wrote:

micky writes:

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators?

They better; a CO is required to have backup power and does.

I haven't seen a real Central Office in decades. Just small
switching centers that are being replaced with packet switching
hardware. Most are the size of a one car garage, to have room to store
spare boards & equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

David Lesher wrote:

micky writes:

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators?

They better; a CO is required to have backup power and does.

I haven't seen a real Central Office in decades. Just small
switching centers that are being replaced with packet switching
hardware. Most are the size of a one car garage, to have room to store
spare boards & equipment.

I remember seeing the Central Office in Ft. Worth, with a lot of big
batteries (they said some of the batteries were from old submarines).
The batteries were supposed to be able to power everything for at least
24 hours, with generators for longer outages.

That was about 31 years ago.

BTW, they had more operators come to work during snowstorms and after
football games.

--
48 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Holy Scriptu A book sent down from heaven.... Holy Scriptures
contain all that a Christian should know and believe, provided he adds
to it a million or so commentaries. [Voltaire]

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

David Lesher wrote:

micky writes:

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators?

They better; a CO is required to have backup power and does.

I haven't seen a real Central Office in decades. Just small
switching centers that are being replaced with packet switching
hardware. Most are the size of a one car garage, to have room to store
spare boards & equipment.

I remember seeing the Central Office in Ft. Worth, with a lot of big
batteries (they said some of the batteries were from old submarines).
The batteries were supposed to be able to power everything for at least
24 hours, with generators for longer outages.

That was about 31 years ago.

BTW, they had more operators come to work during snowstorms and after
football games.

Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowager type
Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's
first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some
1920's design junk. The batteries were designed for the application. I
doubt submarine batteries would last long in that application since C.O.
batteries are on float charge 99.9% of the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 11-07-2012 17:34, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowager type
Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's
first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some

I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few
days in 1973.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating
stepper switches.

--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
€” Robert Rhee
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:

On 11-07-2012 17:34, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowger type
Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's
first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some

I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few
days in 1973.

Not many were left by then.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating
stepper switches.

Strowger stepper.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1YMkG7qiygjslORZGAFHqGQzJE-4-IEcMxudCY1Nftoo6TKolEKcXApy8
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On 11-07-2012 20:37, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Wes Groleau wrote:
I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few
days in 1973.

Not many were left by then.

Like http://www.telephonetribute.com/images/fig3-2.gif
but much smaller. Just served one building.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating
stepper switches.

Strowger stepper.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1YMkG7qiygjslORZGAFHqGQzJE-4-IEcMxudCY1Nftoo6TKolEKcXApy8

Well, same principle, I think, though it doesn't look the same. I
wasn't trained on it, but by watching it work, I think I figured it out.
I think we had two-digit numbers. Pick up a phone and a one-axis rotor
would step to the correct line of ten. Another would then select the
first rotor out of ten. Then one or two would connect that phone to
one of ten or a hundred lines to the other side, and the process in
reverse would select the right destination phone.

--
Wes Groleau

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
the only specification is that it should run noiselessly.
€” unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
.-. .-. is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's right and one of the things that has changed now is moving the
batteries that ran the wired telephone system from the central station to
the user's property. There's no reason to be content with limited battery
time or even in-house batteries though. The batteries could easily be set
up to charge with a solar cell and the battery could also be put into the
cabinet that services the neighborhood - also with a solar panel to charge
it. FIOS and U-Verse should be pushed to do that.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Mark Lloyd writes:

I remember seeing the Central Office in Ft. Worth, with a lot
of big batteries (they said some of the batteries were from old
submarines). The batteries were supposed to be able to power
everything for at least 24 hours, with generators for longer
outages.

CO's are still around; it's just the switches in them are far smaller.
And they still have generators. And fuel. In the derecho in July,
the CO down the road was on generator for several days.

For whatever reason, FIOS always runs to a CO, not to a DLC in
the neighberhood.

You can't be forced to have FIOS for dialtone in any case I have
seen; as FIOS is not regulated. An obvious example: where there
is no AC power such as a building site. And while it is true the
DLC has only hours of batteries, the telco has an obligation to
keep it powered.

As for the ""too big a battery fable..."; it's not worth debunking
again.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 20:37:19 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Wes Groleau wrote:

On 11-07-2012 17:34, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowger type
Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's
first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some

I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few
days in 1973.

Not many were left by then.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating
stepper switches.

Strowger stepper.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1YMkG7qiygjslORZGAFHqGQzJE-4-IEcMxudCY1Nftoo6TKolEKcXApy8

Mike that is an ordinary stepper, not a Strowger

Please see:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PSh...page&q&f=false

?-)
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Wes Groleau wrote:

On 11-07-2012 17:34, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Operators, 3i years ago? they must have still been a Strowger type
Central office if they were that out of date. My home town had it's
first generation ESS Central Office before that. It replaced some

I operated a pull-out-out-the-cord-and-plug-it-in switchboard for a few
days in 1973.

Not many were left by then.

On Navy ships in the late 1970s, we still had click-click-click rotating
stepper switches.

Strowger stepper.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1YMkG7qiygjslORZGAFHqGQzJE-4-IEcMxudCY1Nftoo6TKolEKcXApy8

Mike that is an ordinary stepper, not a Strowger

That was what Google barfed up when i seacrched for Strowger, and I
haven't seen the real thing since the mid '60s.

Please see:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PSh...page&q&f=false

?-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do
they all have generators? Are there amps or something on phone poles
between the telephone exchange and my house that depend on a source of
power that's neither the exchange or my house?

There is no "exchange" anymore, in the way there used to be these
central offices with a #5 ESS or whatever. It is all moving to ATM
backbone, which is essentially an internet backbone. They put
RT's in the neighborhood that are hooked to a fiber, and branch out
copper cable to the neighborhood. So, the switches are several hundred to
a thousand or so subscriber lines, and distributed all over the landscape,
instead of one building per town. If you drive around, you'll see these
boxes all over the place. There are usually 3 boxes, the RT unit itself,
a power entry module with an electric meter on it, and a wire cabinet.

We have Charter cable here as the only alternative to DSL (which doesn't
work well in our region due to the crappy phone cables) and they have
somewhere around 8 hours of batteries in each box, which serves a couple
blocks. When they have an extended outage, you see them bring out a
little gas generator to each pole with the Charter Pipeline box. Must
be a big pain to set up all those generators.

I can't answer to FIOS, but I'm sure there have to be neighborhood
concentrators, as they can't possibly run miles of fiber to EACH residence.
Fiber has insane capacity, so they can concentrate traffic for hundreds
of high-speed service customers onto one fiber. And, I'm sure those
concentrators only have so much backup battery capacity.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

micky wrote:

At first I didn't care about internet, because I don't have a laptop
yet, but I plan to get one. With DSL that I have now, that works
even when the power is out, right? (Assuming there is power at the
telephone company.)

No, you need power at your DSL modem/router. They will run off
DC, but the voltages vary by manufacturer.

Jon