Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

On 11/3/2012 6:59 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/3/2012 12:14 AM, wrote:
I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan
is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber.
Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service
after a few hours. I asked about a bigger battery and was told that
the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

They call this progress.

By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so
you can never go back to it.

Verizon put a fios line to my house to replace the copper wire. It
connects back to the land line box. There is a battery back up in the
fios line in the house. We had been having a lot of copper wire
problems and Verizon did this to solve the problem. We do not have
internet or TV with them.

I also have Comcast and got the triple play (internet, TV and phone) as
the cheapest package when I up graded to HD sets and DVR. The modem
where phone is connected has battery backup but the internet is not
backed up, only the Comcast phone.

There was an interesting problem with comcast. The large area near here
fortunately only had some trees down but extensive power failures (and
of course the cable is down because there is no power for the various
system pieces). So if you had a generator and thought you were going to
watch all of stuff you recorded on your comcast DVR you weren't allowed
to do it because unless the cable box can talk to the mother ship you
can't use it for anything except maybe to prop a door open.