Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Groleau Wes Groleau is offline

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

On 11-03-2012 09:56, wrote:
I don't know why you can't hook up a giant battery to the fios system and maybe your own charger and disconnect their charger but their tech told me specifically that a bigger battery wouldn't work with their little charging system. I suppose you could keep a car or marine battery separately charged and just hook it up when you need to.

If you plug their stuff into a UPS instead of the wall, they can't tell
the difference.

Also, I was told that when the power goes out it shuts off TV and internet to make the battery last longer for the more-important phone service (or maybe TV/internet use so much more power they'd drain the battery really fast).

Phone, internet, TV--all digital signals through the same modem.
similar power requirements. Bit-rate does make a tiny difference.

That's not to say they won't shut it off for other reasons--reasons
which might be technically valid or might just be an expression of
someone's ignorance.

--
Wes Groleau

Alive and Well