Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ac-719527-.htm
DA wrote:

micky wrote:

Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.

Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and
intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the
phone would..)

I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't
work, but I like having the home phone too.

During the recent Sandy outage my FIOS network interface box held for about 20 hrs on its own battery. Not sure if it's about right or it's already feeling its age. Regardless, the Internet service was gone almost immediately, only TV and phone lasted. Actually, scratch that - I don't know if TV lasted much longer than 3 hours because then I ran out of juice to power the TV (and the 60W cable box). Phone lasted to the end but of course after the network interface died the phone service was gone, too.

During previous outages Internet was not down so quickly, so I'm not sure if it was some unlucky cable that a tree landed on or perhaps Verizon anticipated a long outage and shut down the power-hungry service remotely (my conjecture - I'm not sure they can do that).

So yeah, FIOS with power is awesome, FIOS without power is dead.

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT