Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default FIOS doesn t work without AC?

On Nov 3, 5:35*pm, wrote:
A UPS seems rather inefficient- converting AC to DC then back to AC then DC?

My solution would be to get a couple of marine (or car) batteries and put them on a charger every couple of months (I have an X10 so I could program it to go on one night every two months if that's enough) and then simply jumper those batteries if the power goes out. It's not automatic but they'll hold a charge a lot longer than a UPS will.

Although I'd like to tell Verizon that they can have my century-tested copper wiring when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I had FIOS, the internet part worked well, but the phone part was
garbage and customer service sucked.....

I had a battery failure at just a few months old and they tried
charging me for a new battery

I was told you cant plug a UPS into the ONT but no one seemed to know
why..

probably because the FIOS backbone had a short life in a power
failure. the backup battery only powered the phone line.

power out? internet died, I never had FIOS TV but beieve it dies in a
power failure too.

now take a major outage like a hurricane, even if you had a whole
house power backup the fios backup is only good till the first link
fails...copper used to run forever..

my FIOS phone had trouble

after my fios got noisey for 3 months about every 12 calls a loud
buzz would be on my phone, eventually it made things unusable. verizon
reps blamed my interior wiring even though all techs at my home
replicated the issue with my house disconnected. I was under contract
for FIOS and they refused to let me out, against compan policy.

I called intermittently for 3 months every business day for 3 weeks,
and finally esclated it to the presidents office, just 2 calls to them
got a network tech to check things out and find it was a bad router in
their central office.... it effected everyone in my prefix.....

after this i was out of contract i had done my 2 years in verizon
phone hell, I got a cell phone with unlimited minutes

so I called and canceled my outgoing call package, IDIOT verizon
cancelled my entire phone line, first time they fixed it in a hour,
but some days later their system burped and callers to my business got
the this phone number is no longer in service, for 4 days. the verizon
reps didnt care and my call to their presidents office got them
yelling at me who gave you this number no one is supposed to give it
out.

after that i went with a different company

anyone is better than verizon!!!!!!

I feel sorry for anyone in a new FIOS area, unrelenting calls, junk
mail and visiting sales people at dinner time. I had the last 3 of
them escorted off my property by the police...