Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 9:30*am, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. *I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. *(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. *I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

MP3 FM modulator
http://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-VRF.../dp/B0009N4OIC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-11-25, wrote:

But first I need to know what they're called....

"adapters"

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-khqbvM6...-Adapters.html

Try googling for mp3 car adapters.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:09:40 -0800, Evan Platt
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600, wrote:

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

FM Transmitters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...mitter&x=0&y=0

Thanks to all who replied. They're cheap enough. I thought they
would cost a lot more. I do live in the country so there are not many
stations. Even if the sound quality is not the greatest, anything is
better than the lousy radio stations around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

True, but even ripped CDs if you use a high enough bitrate sound better
than FM radio... a new head unit with the ability to plug in an mp3
player or even an aux in jack is preferable IMHO. If you aren't
concerned about sound quality and/or just want a stopgap to get you by
until you upgrade, then go for it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

Look at the face of your radio. Is there a 1/8" female plug? If so, this
is usually the auxiliary input for a mp3. On mine, it has AUX right over
the hole. You will need a double male 1/8" cord, which is just an earphone
cord with a male plug on both ends. A buck at the dollar store.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sjouke Burry" s@b wrote

They are called FM transmittors.....

A workable solution is called a cable. Two male ends.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 11/25/2011 12:26 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Sjouke Burry"s@b wrote

They are called FM transmittors.....

A workable solution is called a cable. Two male ends.

Steve

not if your head unit doesn't have an input.

--
Steve Barker

AS I POSTED EARLIER:

Look at the face of your radio. Is there a 1/8" female plug? If so, this
is usually the auxiliary input for a mp3. On mine, it has AUX right over
the hole. You will need a double male 1/8" cord, which is just an earphone
cord with a male plug on both ends. A buck at the dollar store.

Steve

Let's go over it again slowly. Most MP3s I've seen have a 1/8" jack for
earbuds. A LOT of car and house units I have seen have an AUX input on
their fronts instead of the big RCA jacks in the rear. A lot of people
mistake this for an earplug jack, but who uses earphones any more? Even if
there are RCA jacks in the rear, there is a cheap cable that you plug into
the RCA jacks, and it has a 1/8" male jack on the other end to go into the
MP player.

So, first, let's look at the faceplate. NOTE: NOT ALL FACEPLATES ARE THE
SAME, SO THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK ON YOUR FACEPLATE.

Is there a hole for a 1/8" jack?

Now, the important part, as stated above. "IF SO, ...................."
(instructions follow) Try it with one of those double ended jacks.

For what one of those cords cost (99 cents), isn't it worth a try to hook up
your MP3 to your stereo, MAKE SURE THE PROPER DIAL OR SWITCH IS SET ON AUX,
and give it a try?

In today's world, most people already possess this cable. It's certainly a
lot easier and cheaper than going out and investigating costly FM
transmitters that work to varying degrees. This hardwire works fine.

It will do one of two things: It will work. It won't.

Hope you got it that time, Steve.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 3:17*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

It may not be on the face of the radio. In my son's car it's in the
compartment under the arm rest between the driver and passenger seats.

With it placed in that location, there's no wire hanging out of the
radio getting the way of his shifter (it's a manual).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 06:49:58 -0800 (PST), Mikepier
wrote:

On Nov 25, 9:30*am, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. *I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. *(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. *I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

MP3 FM modulator

Yes, exactly .

http://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-VRF.../dp/B0009N4OIC

Interesting ad. The pictures don't match. I have one like the right
two pictures, which doesn' match the left two pictures.

However the remote control in one of the right two pictures doesn't
match the one in te other of them. The number of buttons is
different.

Despite all this, I'm sure the thing is fine. Well, actually there
are others almost identical on Amazon with better ratings.

Note
One of the reviewers says this "IMPORTANT: Turn the volume level on
the wireless FM Transmitter to medium to medium/high! I set mine on 12
(out of 15). This affects the quality of the FM transmission from the
FM Wireless Transmitter to your car's stereo. Reviewers who have
complained about poor quality of audio or static probably did not do
this! " I was saying something similar, and he's probably correct,
clearer, and more specific. (I didn't even notice there were volume
numbers, or how high they went.)

I bought one at Autozone for 16 dollars and 2 of at this url, gave
away the second one of them just yesterday at Thanksgiving dinner.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

FM Transmitters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...mitter&x=0&y=0

Thanks to all who replied. They're cheap enough. I thought they
would cost a lot more.

Me too. I thought 16 dollars was cheap.

You'll probably have to redo tthe frequency every time you turn the
car on, unless your cigarett lighter is always on. (the device gets
fairly hot when it's on, so I think you don't want to leave it running
when the car is parked, even if you can.

There are more low frequency stattions than high, so I push he left
button once and go to the top of the FM dial. Here that works.

I do live in the country so there are not many
stations. Even if the sound quality is not the greatest, anything is
better than the lousy radio stations around here.

I haven't listened to music yet. When you turn the device off and
later on, it will start at the selection it was in the mdidle of
before. If it's a 4 minute song, that's fine. If it's a 50 minute
radios news show, and you never drive more than 40 minutes at a time,
you'll never get to the end of the show, but you'll hear the first 10
minutes every time you get in the car!!!

So what you can do is use a file splitter.

I think this is the one I used that I liked the most. (I haven't done
this since early September)
http://www.convertjunction.com/download/jsplit.zip
Splitting it numbered it. It took one file called asdf.mp3 and made
15 files called something like asdf1.prt, asdf2.prt, asdf3. prt. etc.

I I used a DOS box, Window/Run/Cmd, to go to my holding area or my
flashdrive, and I used the command rename *.prt *.mp3 . This
renames all the files that end in prt to end in mp3 again. The
device will go from one to another without your being able to tell the
file has changed. Not the slightest pause or click or anything. It's
incredible.

I had to change the extensions of every file back to .mp3. I think
I used the default and it split a 52 minutes show into 3 or 4 minute
pieces.

I also got http://www.blue-series.com/download/splitting_inst.exe and
http://www.torry.net/apps/filedrv/utils/gsplits.exe but iirc I didn't
like them as much for this purpose. They both worked however and all
of these were free. http://www.gdgsoft.com/download/gsplit.aspx is a
webpage for the last one of these.

Dinner time, more later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 11:09*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. *I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. *(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. *I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

What you're looking for is a "modulator" or "FM modulator". *Be warned that
they don't work very well in large cities (too many FM stations) or on long
trips (stations change). *I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna
lead (so it would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

About $7 from Deal Extreme or usually about $30 locally.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/modulator

I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna lead (so it
would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

How would something plugged into the antenna lead override a local
station? Wouldn't the radio waves still see it as an antenna, albeit a
lousy one, and find their way into the receiver?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:39:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 25, 11:09*am, "
wrote:
[...]

FM receivers lock onto the strongest signal (override). It's pretty easy to
generate a signal stronger than one that's coupled via the aether, and miles
away. ;-)

If that's not good enough, it's not much of a problem to notch out that
frequency in the coupler. A directional coupler is needed anyway, since it's
not cricket to transmit your MP3 via the car's antenna. BMI will want their
cut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:27:40 -0800, "Steve B" wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 11/25/2011 12:26 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Sjouke Burry"s@b wrote

They are called FM transmittors.....

A workable solution is called a cable. Two male ends.

Steve

not if your head unit doesn't have an input.

--
Steve Barker

AS I POSTED EARLIER:

Look at the face of your radio. Is there a 1/8" female plug? If so, this
is usually the auxiliary input for a mp3. On mine, it has AUX right over
the hole. You will need a double male 1/8" cord, which is just an earphone
cord with a male plug on both ends. A buck at the dollar store.

In new cars, this is common. Neither of my vehicles have AUX inputs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Another way to play MP3s in your car is via a dummy tape cassette. The MP3
is played on a portable CD/MP3 player, sound is piped to the dummy cassette,
power is (usually) from the car's cigar lighter. They work well but -
obviously - the car has to have a tape player.

what's a "tape player" ?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:

-snip-
Another way to play MP3s in your car is via a dummy tape cassette. The MP3
is played on a portable CD/MP3 player, sound is piped to the dummy cassette,
power is (usually) from the car's cigar lighter. They work well but -
obviously - the car has to have a tape player.

I tried that one too. The sound wasn't bad, and it was more
reliable than the FM modulator. . . but.

The tape played in my 2001 GM had an auto-eject feature. There was
some procedure that took about 60 seconds every time you started the
car that would bypass the auto eject feature. Then one day it just
stopped working. I couldn't get the tape to stay in the player.

So check your car make/model/year to see what folks have tried that
worked.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 3:17 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

When I use mine, it's like a cell phone. I plug it in the dash, and then I
pay attention to my driving. There is no reason for it to be in the way, or
for me to touch it except when I am stopped.

Look it over. Almost all audio devices have an in and out for external
applications. They can be in a lot of configurations, but most have
something. Yes, I have seen some that have nothing. But a one buck cord
that is hardwired and has good fidelity to me is infinitely better than
getting a FM transmitter of hazy quality sound.

As with everything, one size does not fit all. You just work with what you
got.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna lead (so it
would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

Here's one for $27- free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator

How would something plugged into the antenna lead override a local
station? Wouldn't the radio waves still see it as an antenna, albeit a
lousy one, and find their way into the receiver?

Yes. It is more discriminating than the transmitting FM
modulators-- but the one I posted the link to has 2 stations you can
switch between if a station interferes.

I'm in an area where the modulators are practically useless. I have
to switch stations every 1/2 mile & sometimes none of the 3 will work.
I haven't touched the Scosche one since I put it in.

One day I was in an area that started picking up a little
interference, but it never got bad enough to make me switch stations.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 7:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 3:17 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

All I was pointing out was that not all auxiliary inputs are on the
face of the radio. Remember, it was you that said (twice) "Look at
the face of your radio. Is there a 1/8" female plug?"

It could be in other locations besides the face of the radio.

Look it over. *Almost all audio devices have an in and out for external
applications. *They can be in a lot of configurations, but most have
something. *Yes, I have seen some that have nothing. *But a one buck cord
that is hardwired and has good fidelity to me is infinitely better than
getting a FM transmitter of hazy quality sound.

I'm not sure why you're telling me that. I never made any comparison
between input devices.

As with everything, one size does not fit all. *You just work with what you
got.

Steve

BTW...there is no such thing as a "female plug". Well, at least not in
the electronics arena...well, unless it vibrates...Oh never mind.

Anyway...where was I? Oh yeah...what you probably meant was to look
for a 1/8" *socket*, not a 1/8" plug. The plug will be on the cable,
not on the radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 9:30*am, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. *I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. *(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. *I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

Make sure your radio doesnt have a place to plug in stuff like CD
players and Tape decks. My wifes Silverado was like that. It had a
couple of phono jacks hanging out the back for a tape deck. Daughter
liked to listen to music on her MP3. Rat Shack sells a cable that will
adapt the headphone jack on the MP3 player to the RCA connectors. You
can also get an adapter to power the MP3 player from the cig lighter.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Friday, November 25, 2011 7:30:41 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

If you have a car or truck radio/cd player manufactured in the last four years or so and it has mp3 marked on it why bother with all of that junk. Just burn a couple of hundred mp3s to a CD in CD or data mode with your computer and you can play songs for over 4 bloody hours. I do it all the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Steve, less than half the OEM radios over the last 6 or so years have
AUX inputs, and virtually none 10 years old or older. They are quite
common over the last 3 years or so - and many new vehicles don't even
have a CD player any more. On my 2002 PT Cruizer I added a CD changer
(from a Neon - same radio) under the driver's seat and tapped into the
audio feed from that deck with a 1/8" stereo plug so I can connect the
MP3 player - just need to have a cd in the add-on deck, select that
disk and plug in the MP3. That is beyond the capabilities of MANY on
this list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:39:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 25, 11:09Â*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. Â*I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. Â*(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. Â*I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

What you're looking for is a "modulator" or "FM modulator". Â*Be warned that
they don't work very well in large cities (too many FM stations) or on long
trips (stations change). Â*I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna
lead (so it would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

About $7 from Deal Extreme or usually about $30 locally.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/modulator

I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna lead (so it
would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

How would something plugged into the antenna lead override a local
station? Wouldn't the radio waves still see it as an antenna, albeit a
lousy one, and find their way into the receiver?

The ones that connect to the antenna DISCONNECT the antenna when they
are activated, You set them to a fixed frquency, set a preset on the
radio, and go. Because FM will never "mix" signals, the strongest
signal always wins, so unless you are right next to a VERY strong
transmitter, your MP# modulator will always win out over the
disconnected antenna.
Back when AM radio was king, that didn't work so well. I remember
theadd-on FM tuners and short wave converters that plugged into the
antenna and you would get a mish-mash mixing of signals from both
sources.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What's a CD player is almost the same question today - - - .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2011 2:27 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
[...]

it's still not a "workable solution" if your head unit does not have an
input. And given the context of your original statement, that option
had not been discussed. DO you understand now, Steve??

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:44:48 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-

I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna lead (so it
would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

Here's one for $27- free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator

How would something plugged into the antenna lead override a local
station? Wouldn't the radio waves still see it as an antenna, albeit a
lousy one, and find their way into the receiver?

Yes. It is more discriminating than the transmitting FM
modulators-- but the one I posted the link to has 2 stations you can
switch between if a station interferes.

I feel like a competing snake oil saleman, but the one I pushed in
other posts will transmit on any station on fthe FM dial. I use
107.1 or 106.9

Here's a lower prices url that I used.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
5.50 including shipping No RCA inputs but no installat ion necesary
either.

I'm in an area where the modulators are practically useless. I have
to switch stations every 1/2 mile & sometimes none of the 3 will work.
I haven't touched the Scosche one since I put it in.

And it's more powerful even than the strong station I normally listen
to. If the volume ln the modulator were turned all the way down,
maybe it woudln't be strong enough, but the way it came out of hte
packaging, it wasn't weak. I also turned it up a bit and turned
down the radio volume just to get better fidelity.

One day I was in an area that started picking up a little
interference, but it never got bad enough to make me switch stations.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 25, 9:30*am, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. *I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. *(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. *I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

MP3 FM modulator

Yes, exactly .

http://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-VHR.../dp/B0009N4OIC

BTW, this modulator easily overpowers a strong FM station I usually
listen to,

IF it doesn't, just turn up the volumn on the modulator and lower the
volume on the radio. The volume is remembered from session to
session. AFAIK, the only thing that isn't remembered is the
frrequency.

but for convenience, I use a different station at the top of the dial
which is empty. It takes one push of a button to go down one
frequency notch.

I had a jupiter jack to use the car radio as a speaker phone for my
cell phone, and it was weaker even than the weak stations that came in
almost like static on the two frequencies provided. But the url above
will work on any frequency on hte FM dial.

Despite KRW's experience with some other product, there is no need
here to mess with the antenna.

Here's a much cheaper url for the one mikepier posted.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
$5.50 including shipping.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:00:21 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 25, 7:42*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Nov 25, 3:17 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote in message

.. .

[...]

Or better yet, jack. :-)

not a 1/8" plug. The plug will be on the cable,
not on the radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:57:08 -0800 (PST), Roy
wrote:

On Friday, November 25, 2011 7:30:41 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

If you have a car or truck radio/cd player manufactured in the last four years or so and it has mp3 marked on it why bother with all of that junk.

Probably because the OP doesn't have a radio made in the last 4 years.

Just burn a couple of hundred mp3s to a CD in CD or data mode with your computer and you can play songs for over 4 bloody hours. I do it all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:31:27 -0500, micky
wrote:

I'm in an area where the modulators are practically useless. I have
to switch stations every 1/2 mile & sometimes none of the 3 will work.
I haven't touched the Scosche one since I put it in.

And it's more powerful even than the strong station I normally listen
to.

I live in Baltimore, btw, lots of stations, but this device for 5.50
is stronger than any of them.

If the volume ln the modulator were turned all the way down,
maybe it woudln't be strong enough, but the way it came out of hte
packaging, it wasn't weak. I also turned it up a bit and turned
down the radio volume just to get better fidelity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Dinner's over. Just want to make clear that the last 7 paragraphs
above ONLY apply if you want to listen to one thing that is longer
than most of your driving trips. If you take some 5 minute trips,
you don't want a 30 minute radio show to be one file.

If you listen to 4 minute songs, and you take a 3 minute trip, you'll
start off with the same song the next time, but isn't that true with
a CD player also if you turn it off? Or at least if you disconnect
the power to it? (I've never used a portable CD player.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
5.50 including shipping