Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

On 11/25/2011 11:04 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:09:40 -0800, Evan Platt
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600,
wrote:

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I
asked a guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not
figure out what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with
knowledge at Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is
something to buy online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

FM Transmitters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...mitter&x=0&y=0

Thanks to all who replied. They're cheap enough. I thought they
would cost a lot more. I do live in the country so there are not many
stations. Even if the sound quality is not the greatest, anything is
better than the lousy radio stations around here.

Another way to play MP3s in your car is via a dummy tape cassette. The MP3
is played on a portable CD/MP3 player, sound is piped to the dummy cassette,
power is (usually) from the car's cigar lighter. They work well but -
obviously - the car has to have a tape player.

what's a "tape player" ?

--
Steve Barker