Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

"DerbyDad03" wrote

BTW...there is no such thing as a "female plug". Well, at least not in
the electronics arena...well, unless it vibrates...Oh never mind.

Anyway...where was I? Oh yeah...what you probably meant was to look
for a 1/8" *socket*, not a 1/8" plug. The plug will be on the cable,
not on the radio.

reply: As always, your experience and intellect are far superior to mine.
I seem to have mine figured out completely, and have no problem operating
it. Old dopey me! I just thought it might work for others. How's yours
coming?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JIMMIE" wrote

Make sure your radio doesnt have a place to plug in stuff like CD
players and Tape decks. My wifes Silverado was like that. It had a
couple of phono jacks hanging out the back for a tape deck. Daughter
liked to listen to music on her MP3. Rat Shack sells a cable that will
adapt the headphone jack on the MP3 player to the RCA connectors. You
can also get an adapter to power the MP3 player from the cig lighter.

Jimmie

WTF. TWO reasonable men here! Thanks, Jimmie.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roy" wrote

If you have a car or truck radio/cd player manufactured in the last four
years or so and it has mp3 marked on it why bother with all of that junk.
Just burn a couple of hundred mp3s to a CD in CD or data mode with your
computer and you can play songs for over 4 bloody hours. I do it all the
time.

reply: My Ram 2500 is an '06, and it has it. Guess they were one of the
first, then. I figured by now, they'd all have them with the proliferation
of mp3s.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 11/25/2011 2:27 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
On 11/25/2011 12:26 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Sjouke Burry"s@b wrote

They are called FM transmittors.....

A workable solution is called a cable. Two male ends.

Steve

not if your head unit doesn't have an input.

--
Steve Barker

AS I POSTED EARLIER:

Look at the face of your radio. Is there a 1/8" female plug? If so,
this
is usually the auxiliary input for a mp3. On mine, it has AUX right over
the hole. You will need a double male 1/8" cord, which is just an
earphone
cord with a male plug on both ends. A buck at the dollar store.

Steve

Let's go over it again slowly. Most MP3s I've seen have a 1/8" jack for
earbuds. A LOT of car and house units I have seen have an AUX input on
their fronts instead of the big RCA jacks in the rear. A lot of people
mistake this for an earplug jack, but who uses earphones any more? Even
if
there are RCA jacks in the rear, there is a cheap cable that you plug
into
the RCA jacks, and it has a 1/8" male jack on the other end to go into
the
MP player.

So, first, let's look at the faceplate. NOTE: NOT ALL FACEPLATES ARE THE
SAME, SO THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK ON YOUR FACEPLATE.

Is there a hole for a 1/8" jack?

Now, the important part, as stated above. "IF SO, ...................."
(instructions follow) Try it with one of those double ended jacks.

For what one of those cords cost (99 cents), isn't it worth a try to hook
up
your MP3 to your stereo, MAKE SURE THE PROPER DIAL OR SWITCH IS SET ON
AUX,
and give it a try?

In today's world, most people already possess this cable. It's certainly
lot easier and cheaper than going out and investigating costly FM
transmitters that work to varying degrees. This hardwire works fine.

It will do one of two things: It will work. It won't.

Hope you got it that time, Steve.

Steve

it's still not a "workable solution" if your head unit does not have an
input. And given the context of your original statement, that option had
not been discussed. DO you understand now, Steve??

--
Steve Barker

Entirely. Putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind. Go buy a decent unit.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 1:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

BTW...there is no such thing as a "female plug". Well, at least not in
the electronics arena...well, unless it vibrates...Oh never mind.

Anyway...where was I? Oh yeah...what you probably meant was to look
for a 1/8" *socket*, not a 1/8" plug. The plug will be on the cable,
not on the radio.

reply: *As always, your experience and intellect are far superior to mine.
I seem to have mine figured out completely, and have no problem operating
it. *Old dopey me! *I just thought it might work for others. *How's yours
coming?

Steve

How's my what coming?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erin Marulli" wrote in message
On Nov 26, 1:11 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote

BTW...there is no such thing as a "female plug". Well, at least not in
the electronics arena...well, unless it vibrates...Oh never mind.

Anyway...where was I? Oh yeah...what you probably meant was to look
for a 1/8" *socket*, not a 1/8" plug. The plug will be on the cable,
not on the radio.

reply: As always, your experience and intellect are far superior to mine.
I seem to have mine figured out completely, and have no problem operating
it. Old dopey me! I just thought it might work for others. How's yours
coming?

Steve

How's my what coming?

If you have to ask, never mind.