Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

Go down to the local place that installs car stereos and ask them
about an RF modulator. You may not wanna buy it there, but their advice may
be helpful.
I have several of these. NONE of them is worth a damn.
If you live in the boonies, you may be fine. Here in the city,
virtually every frequency is inhabited by a station. The modulator
has to overpower that station. As you drive around, the radio
station signal varies and you may have to switch frequencies to
get a clear signal from your device at that location.

Big hassle...low quality sound.
YMMV