Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

On 11/25/2011 11:31 AM, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:09:40 -0800, Evan Platt
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600,
wrote:

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

FM Transmitters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...mitter&x=0&y=0

Thanks to all who replied. They're cheap enough. I thought they
would cost a lot more. I do live in the country so there are not many
stations. Even if the sound quality is not the greatest, anything is
better than the lousy radio stations around here.

True, but even ripped CDs if you use a high enough bitrate sound better
than FM radio... a new head unit with the ability to plug in an mp3
player or even an aux in jack is preferable IMHO. If you aren't
concerned about sound quality and/or just want a stopgap to get you by
until you upgrade, then go for it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.