Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:31:47 -0600, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:09:40 -0800, Evan Platt
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600,
wrote:

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

FM Transmitters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...mitter&x=0&y=0

Thanks to all who replied. They're cheap enough. I thought they
would cost a lot more.

Me too. I thought 16 dollars was cheap.

You'll probably have to redo tthe frequency every time you turn the
car on, unless your cigarett lighter is always on. (the device gets
fairly hot when it's on, so I think you don't want to leave it running
when the car is parked, even if you can.

There are more low frequency stattions than high, so I push he left
button once and go to the top of the FM dial. Here that works.

I do live in the country so there are not many
stations. Even if the sound quality is not the greatest, anything is
better than the lousy radio stations around here.

I haven't listened to music yet. When you turn the device off and
later on, it will start at the selection it was in the mdidle of
before. If it's a 4 minute song, that's fine. If it's a 50 minute
radios news show, and you never drive more than 40 minutes at a time,
you'll never get to the end of the show, but you'll hear the first 10
minutes every time you get in the car!!!

So what you can do is use a file splitter.

I think this is the one I used that I liked the most. (I haven't done
this since early September)
http://www.convertjunction.com/download/jsplit.zip
Splitting it numbered it. It took one file called asdf.mp3 and made
15 files called something like asdf1.prt, asdf2.prt, asdf3. prt. etc.

I I used a DOS box, Window/Run/Cmd, to go to my holding area or my
flashdrive, and I used the command rename *.prt *.mp3 . This
renames all the files that end in prt to end in mp3 again. The
device will go from one to another without your being able to tell the
file has changed. Not the slightest pause or click or anything. It's
incredible.

I had to change the extensions of every file back to .mp3. I think
I used the default and it split a 52 minutes show into 3 or 4 minute
pieces.

I also got http://www.blue-series.com/download/splitting_inst.exe and
http://www.torry.net/apps/filedrv/utils/gsplits.exe but iirc I didn't
like them as much for this purpose. They both worked however and all
of these were free. http://www.gdgsoft.com/download/gsplit.aspx is a
webpage for the last one of these.

Dinner time, more later.