Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 15:39:26 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Nov 25, 11:09Â*am, "
wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:30:41 -0600, wrote:
They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. Â*I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. Â*(Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. Â*I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

What you're looking for is a "modulator" or "FM modulator". Â*Be warned that
they don't work very well in large cities (too many FM stations) or on long
trips (stations change). Â*I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna
lead (so it would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

About $7 from Deal Extreme or usually about $30 locally.

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/modulator

I'd like one that's tied directly into the antenna lead (so it
would override any local station) but haven't found one yet.

How would something plugged into the antenna lead override a local
station? Wouldn't the radio waves still see it as an antenna, albeit a
lousy one, and find their way into the receiver?

The ones that connect to the antenna DISCONNECT the antenna when they
are activated, You set them to a fixed frquency, set a preset on the
radio, and go. Because FM will never "mix" signals, the strongest
signal always wins, so unless you are right next to a VERY strong
transmitter, your MP# modulator will always win out over the
disconnected antenna.
Back when AM radio was king, that didn't work so well. I remember
theadd-on FM tuners and short wave converters that plugged into the
antenna and you would get a mish-mash mixing of signals from both
sources.