Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default (OT) Car stereo adoptor "thingie" ????

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 3:17 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

They sell some sort of device that you plug a portable MP3 into it,
and that thing sends the music to a blank radio frequency so the mp3
player can be heard on the car radio.

What are these things called?

I'd like to get one, but dont have a clue what to shop for. I asked a
guy in the electronics dept at Walmart and he could not figure out
what I wanted. (Of course I didn't expect anyone with knowledge at
Walmart), but thought I'd try. I suppose this is something to buy
online, or maybe Radio Shack...

But first I need to know what they're called....

Thanks

Look at the face of your radio. Is there a 1/8" female plug? If so, this
is usually the auxiliary input for a mp3. On mine, it has AUX right over
the hole. You will need a double male 1/8" cord, which is just an earphone
cord with a male plug on both ends. A buck at the dollar store.

Steve

It may not be on the face of the radio. In my son's car it's in the
compartment under the arm rest between the driver and passenger seats.

With it placed in that location, there's no wire hanging out of the
radio getting the way of his shifter (it's a manual).

When I use mine, it's like a cell phone. I plug it in the dash, and then I
pay attention to my driving. There is no reason for it to be in the way, or
for me to touch it except when I am stopped.

Look it over. Almost all audio devices have an in and out for external
applications. They can be in a lot of configurations, but most have
something. Yes, I have seen some that have nothing. But a one buck cord
that is hardwired and has good fidelity to me is infinitely better than
getting a FM transmitter of hazy quality sound.

As with everything, one size does not fit all. You just work with what you
got.

Steve