Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:54:10 -0400, Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/5/2011 8:27 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
More likely would be the stuff that counts your mileage and then phones
home because gas taxes based on gallons isn't paying enough.

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/5/2011 8:27 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
More likely would be the stuff that counts your mileage and then phones
home because gas taxes based on gallons isn't paying enough.

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

Gas taxes, certainly. Unless hybrid, but even then you use about half
the gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

Right now they do in most states. It's kind of interesting, because many states
have aggressive enforcement looking for people using farm diesel or #2 boiler
fuel in diesel trucks to avoid road fuel taxes. That was also an issue with
propane conversions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-for-fuel-tax/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:01:26 -0600, Robert Neville wrote:

" wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-for-fuel-tax/

Sure, it *can* be done. The point is that it *ISN'T. The gas tax is a very
simple use tax, though. It'll be hard to beat. There would be a revolution
if people were charged thousands of dollars per year to register their cars.
It's not as simple as the leftists propose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I went to driver's school a few years ago after a fender bender to reduce
the points, and other benefits.

I always had a question about entering an intersection when turning left.
Do you enter, then wait out in the intersection, with your wheels turned
left, until it is clear? Or wheels straight? You're a sitting duck for a
speeding ambulance, police pursuit, rearender who will send you into
oncoming traffic, whatever. If you stop back of the line, every car behind
you honks.

I learned that YOU MUST NOT ENTER THE INTERSECTION UNTIL YOU CAN SAFELY MAKE
YOUR TURN COMPLETELY. That would mean stopping behind the line. I have
done that since, but before that, would sit out there, always having a
feeling that I was doing something wrong, and always waiting and watching
for something bad to happen. Another reason to get behind the line.

PLUS, I just love those people who cut the corner, coming through my left
hand turn lane when they are making their LEFT hand turn. They must start
their turn way before their own white line to get that far into my lane.
Another reason for staying back behind the line.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

I'll still put my money on money. Going 6" over the line is not very
dangerous, but not paying $75 hurts the system.

Yes, the mayor should ALWAYS drive a new car, and a better model than any
citizen. It's just the right thing to do. I'll gladly pay $75 for going
six inches over the line any day. I have no idea how much sleep I might
lose if I were a scofflaw.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not very dangerous, but there has to be a definition of where to
stop; to borrow a phrase, you have to draw a line somewhere.

I'd say when the front bumper goes into the crosswalk would be a starter.
But different cars have different amounts of overhang, so some cars could
actually be on the line or over it, and NOT in the painted pedestrian
crossing lines. I hate those people who stop at the second line in the
crosswalk, and then give you a dirty look when you give them a dirty look
and a one finger salute because you have to walk around their car and into
the intersection.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

the feds want mandatory GPS imbeded on all new vehicles.

the vehicle would monitor the driver and report in by cell phone all
infractions. things like wreckless driving speeding etc.

They are available for people to put on their family buggies so they can
keep tabs on their young drivers.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
ransley wrote:

Chicago has just started to ticked you 100$ if you leave old city
stickers on your windshield, everybody wants revenue

I suspect what they are going after the people who drive with expired
stickers
in the hopes that noone with notice they aren't current.

Don't believe that for a second. I lived in Texas and Louisiana, and I've
seen many a trooper do a U turn from 70 mph on the Interstate to come back
and get an expired sticker. They are color coded, and easily spotted.
DAMHIKT

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote in
:

Tony Miklos wrote:

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

Right now they do in most states. It's kind of interesting, because
many states have aggressive enforcement looking for people using farm
diesel or #2 boiler fuel in diesel trucks to avoid road fuel taxes.
That was also an issue with propane conversions.

states are working on GPS-systems to tax electric cars by mileage
driven,and the system will of course extend also to gas and diesel autos.

TANSTAAFL.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote in
:

" wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't
use gas, so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...0512-new-propo
sals-for-fuel-tax/

GPS-transponders that record your in-state mileage driven.
Periodically,you have the car's "black box" downloaded and get mailed a
bill.

several states are testing such devices right now.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 12:48 PM, Steve B wrote:
the feds want mandatory GPS imbeded on all new vehicles.

the vehicle would monitor the driver and report in by cell phone all
infractions. things like wreckless driving speeding etc.

They are available for people to put on their family buggies so they can
keep tabs on their young drivers.

Steve

And for fleet vehicles to keep tabs on employees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:08:02 -0400, Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/5/2011 12:48 PM, Steve B wrote:
the feds want mandatory GPS imbeded on all new vehicles.

the vehicle would monitor the driver and report in by cell phone all
infractions. things like wreckless driving speeding etc.

They are available for people to put on their family buggies so they can
keep tabs on their young drivers.

Steve

And for fleet vehicles to keep tabs on employees.

Both of those applications are far different than Big Brother watching.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:40:45 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I went to driver's school a few years ago after a fender bender to reduce
the points, and other benefits.

I always had a question about entering an intersection when turning left.
Do you enter, then wait out in the intersection, with your wheels turned
left, until it is clear? Or wheels straight? You're a sitting duck for a
speeding ambulance, police pursuit, rearender who will send you into
oncoming traffic, whatever. If you stop back of the line, every car behind
you honks.

I was taught to pull out into the intersection and keep wheels straight (so
some numbskull hitting you in the rear doesn't push you into oncoming
traffic). Once in the intersection, you owned it. *ENTERING* on a red-light
was a no-no.

I learned that YOU MUST NOT ENTER THE INTERSECTION UNTIL YOU CAN SAFELY MAKE
YOUR TURN COMPLETELY. That would mean stopping behind the line. I have
done that since, but before that, would sit out there, always having a
feeling that I was doing something wrong, and always waiting and watching
for something bad to happen. Another reason to get behind the line.

The opposite of my DE.

PLUS, I just love those people who cut the corner, coming through my left
hand turn lane when they are making their LEFT hand turn. They must start
their turn way before their own white line to get that far into my lane.
Another reason for staying back behind the line.

Worse are the people who drive in (serial) right turn lanes - and pass on the
right. Many places around here share a left-turn (suicide) lane.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I was taught to pull out into the intersection and keep wheels straight (so
some numbskull hitting you in the rear doesn't push you into oncoming
traffic). Once in the intersection, you owned it. *ENTERING* on a red-light
was a no-no.

Traffic laws vary from state to state and evolve over time. I was tought the
same thing, but in my current state, the law is to not enter the intersection
unless you can clear it for the reasons the OP cited. Some locations use a red-X
"clearway" design to indicate the same thing for through traffic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:51:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Don't believe that for a second. I lived in Texas and Louisiana, and I've
seen many a trooper do a U turn from 70 mph on the Interstate to come back
and get an expired sticker. They are color coded, and easily spotted.
DAMHIKT

Steve

I've seen it to when I lived in PA. I've also seen the sticker
replaced with poster board, trading stamps, and most anything that was
the right color for the period.

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers or tags on the license plate.
Too many plates (including one of mine) were being stolen for the
little tags.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-for-fuel-tax/

Sure, it *can* be done. The point is that it *ISN'T. The gas tax is a very
simple use tax, though. It'll be hard to beat. There would be a revolution
if people were charged thousands of dollars per year to register their cars.
It's not as simple as the leftists propose.

Right now, it is a benefit of going electric, but states are
considering methods of taxation. One method is to report miles every
year. If thee is a state inspection of any sort, that is not hard to
do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2011 02:49 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:51:07 -0700, "Steve wrote:

Don't believe that for a second. I lived in Texas and Louisiana, and I've
seen many a trooper do a U turn from 70 mph on the Interstate to come back
and get an expired sticker. They are color coded, and easily spotted.
DAMHIKT

Steve

I've seen it to when I lived in PA. I've also seen the sticker
replaced with poster board, trading stamps, and most anything that was
the right color for the period.

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers or tags on the license plate.
Too many plates (including one of mine) were being stolen for the
little tags.

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license plates once.
Got pulled over the same day that I discovered it (and actually on my
way home from my then-girlfriend's parents' house, in whose driveway I
noticed the missing sticker, and it was a Sunday, so I had no choice but
to drive home in the car with the missing sticker) :/ Cop was a jerk
because I had my registration card in the car, I came up clean in the
system, and you could even see a little corner of the sticker remaining
on the plate, so it was obvious that I wasn't a deliberate scofflaw but
a victim of theft, but I still had to sit at the side of the road for
about 45 minutes before he decided to give me a ticket anyway. Grr. Of
course this was in Ohio where the cops are notoriously hardasses.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:33:01 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:40:45 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I went to driver's school a few years ago after a fender bender to reduce
the points, and other benefits.

I always had a question about entering an intersection when turning left.
Do you enter, then wait out in the intersection, with your wheels turned
left, until it is clear? Or wheels straight? You're a sitting duck for a
speeding ambulance, police pursuit, rearender who will send you into
oncoming traffic, whatever. If you stop back of the line, every car behind
you honks.

I was taught to pull out into the intersection and keep wheels straight (so
some numbskull hitting you in the rear doesn't push you into oncoming
traffic). Once in the intersection, you owned it. *ENTERING* on a red-light
was a no-no.

Same here. Right or wrong, if you don't enter the intersection, and
perhaps the car behind you right on your bumper, you'd never make the
left in some cases. It is a matter or survival, regardless of the
rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-for-fuel-tax/

Sure, it *can* be done. The point is that it *ISN'T. The gas tax is a very
simple use tax, though. It'll be hard to beat. There would be a revolution
if people were charged thousands of dollars per year to register their cars.
It's not as simple as the leftists propose.

Right now, it is a benefit of going electric, but states are
considering methods of taxation. One method is to report miles every
year. If thee is a state inspection of any sort, that is not hard to
do.

Sure, but again, the natives *will* get restless when you hand them a bill for
$thousands. It's much easier to take it out $.40 at a ding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Right now, it is a benefit of going electric, but states are
considering methods of taxation. One method is to report miles every
year. If thee is a state inspection of any sort, that is not hard to
do.

Yeah, like nobody ever scammed the inspections (g).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:40:45 -0700, "Steve wrote:

[...]

I most always pull into the intersection when waiting to make a left
turn on a green light. If you wait behind the white line it may take a
few cycles of the traffic light until one car can go, or at a very busy
intersection you may never get the chance to go. It was very common to
do up in PA, but down here in TN not many people do it... takes forever
for traffic to flow that way. I pull into the intersections (to wait
for my chance to make a left turn) in front of police all the time and
so far no tickets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license plates once.
Got pulled over the same day that I discovered it (and actually on my
way home from my then-girlfriend's parents' house, in whose driveway I
noticed the missing sticker, and it was a Sunday, so I had no choice
but to drive home in the car with the missing sticker) :/ Cop was a
jerk because I had my registration card in the car, I came up clean
in the system, and you could even see a little corner of the sticker
remaining on the plate, so it was obvious that I wasn't a deliberate
scofflaw but a victim of theft, but I still had to sit at the side of
the road for about 45 minutes before he decided to give me a ticket
anyway. Grr. Of course this was in Ohio where the cops are
notoriously hardasses.

When we had that problem in my state, the publicized circumvention was to
score the sticker several times with a razor blade. The thief would then
have to remove many pieces.

We've since gone to driver's side front windshield stickers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:55:42 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

The windshield stickers I'm familiar with are pretty flimsy already.
Windshield replacement techs can transfer them about 50% of the time but they
have advantages the normal perp doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license
plates once.

When we had that problem in my state, the publicized circumvention
was to score the sticker several times with a razor blade.

We've since gone to driver's side front windshield stickers.

The plate stickers here in Ontario (Canada) are designed such that they
can't be peeled off without breaking up badly once they've been applied
to the plate. They're usually just applied over-top the old sticker.

It's easier to print a fake sticker on a color ink jet than to steal one
if you ask me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

Right now they do in most states. It's kind of interesting, because many
states
have aggressive enforcement looking for people using farm diesel or #2
boiler
fuel in diesel trucks to avoid road fuel taxes. That was also an issue
with
propane conversions.

Two answers: If electric cars are not taxed proportionally for highway use,
IT'S NOT FAIR! Someone will sue, you can bet on that. And really, an
electric car uses the highway the same as a fuel car. I'm surprised they
haven't taxed bicyclists, since they are a "defined road user, subjects to
the same laws and rules as drivers."

In Utah, diesel fuel that is used on farms or places where it's not subject
to road taxes has a purple dye in it. It works so good that it will
penetrate paint, making the offender easy to spot. I know I can NEVER fuel
up without dropping some. Or a simple looksee would find it. And the fines
are pretty steep if they do catch you.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use
gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-for-fuel-tax/

But how would they figure it? One guy drives, say 10,000 a year, and the
other 100,000. And then, odometers are devices that can be skewed very
easily.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote

Yeah, like nobody ever scammed the inspections (g).

I lived in Louisiana. When I sold cars, I got stickers without even having
the car there. And then there was a guy in a little town who was known by
everyone to be VERY lenient, but who still had limits and lines he would not
cross.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote

They are available for people to put on their family buggies so they can
keep tabs on their young drivers.

Steve

And for fleet vehicles to keep tabs on employees.

IIRC, NYC had them put on there, and discovered many guys who didn't even do
their route, spent most of the day at their home, went everywhere but where
they were supposed to go, etc. NYC and the "unions" went round and round
over it. I think the city finally won, but it took a very long time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:51:07 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Don't believe that for a second. I lived in Texas and Louisiana, and I've
seen many a trooper do a U turn from 70 mph on the Interstate to come back
and get an expired sticker. They are color coded, and easily spotted.
DAMHIKT

Steve

I've seen it to when I lived in PA. I've also seen the sticker
replaced with poster board, trading stamps, and most anything that was
the right color for the period.

Here in CT, we no longer have stickers or tags on the license plate.
Too many plates (including one of mine) were being stolen for the
little tags.

Trouble is in some states, when you DO get caught, the car goes directly to
car jail, and bail is very high.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/11 07:54 pm, Steve B wrote:

How would it be collected (with today's infrastructure)? They don't use
gas,
so obviously don't pay the gas (road) tax.

It's not that hard - you just build it into the annual
plate/registration/property tax.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-for-fuel-tax/

But how would they figure it? One guy drives, say 10,000 a year, and the
other 100,000. And then, odometers are devices that can be skewed very
easily.

I guess tolls are the only fair method.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:54:20 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license plates once.
Got pulled over the same day that I discovered it (and actually on my
way home from my then-girlfriend's parents' house, in whose driveway I
noticed the missing sticker, and it was a Sunday, so I had no choice but
to drive home in the car with the missing sticker) :/ Cop was a jerk
because I had my registration card in the car, I came up clean in the
system, and you could even see a little corner of the sticker remaining
on the plate, so it was obvious that I wasn't a deliberate scofflaw but
a victim of theft, but I still had to sit at the side of the road for
about 45 minutes before he decided to give me a ticket anyway. Grr. Of
course this was in Ohio where the cops are notoriously hardasses.

nate

Wow, what a jerk. I got pulled over one day and had no idea why.
Seems like the sticker was missing on my plate a few years ago. Turns
out, it had been missing for over a year. The new sticker came in the
mail and it was bad weather so I put it aside. He wrote up a warning
and I was on my way. Found the sticker and put it on that night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 16:52:58 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

In Utah, diesel fuel that is used on farms or places where it's not subject
to road taxes has a purple dye in it. It works so good that it will
penetrate paint, making the offender easy to spot. I know I can NEVER fuel
up without dropping some. Or a simple looksee would find it. And the fines
are pretty steep if they do catch you.

Steve

Do they check often? I don't know of anyone that ever has been caught
around here. Of course, we buy a lot more fuel oil than other states
so filling a tank is less likely to set off alarms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 7:58 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Tony wrote

They are available for people to put on their family buggies so they can
keep tabs on their young drivers.

Steve

And for fleet vehicles to keep tabs on employees.

IIRC, NYC had them put on there, and discovered many guys who didn't even do
their route, spent most of the day at their home, went everywhere but where
they were supposed to go, etc. NYC and the "unions" went round and round
over it. I think the city finally won, but it took a very long time.

Steve

That kind of crap is why unions suck. Protecting the lazy asses sitting
at home instead of working.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 5, 10:02*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/05/2011 09:37 AM, gpsman wrote:

On Nov 5, 4:57 am, Nate *wrote:

The state of competence among American drivers, at least around here is
shockingly bad - most people seem to feel the way you do about slightly
crossing the white line about other "minor" infractions like not
signaling, not using mirrors, forcing their way into another lane when
it's occupied by other traffic, turning into the wrong lane, etc. etc.
etc... *unfortunately the only law that seems to be enforced is speeding.

Don't you need a license to sling that much cognitive dissonance?

You have tickets for failure to obey a highway sign,

that would be "speeding"

Are you purporting to have been cited for speeding under failure to
obey a highway sign?!

* and a cracked

windshield.

In my current state of residence, that windshield would be perfectly
legal, and in any state it was safe. *I was also cited literally days
after the crack occurred.

From: "Nathan J. Nagel"
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 22:41:55 GMT

" The second was for a burned out taillight (that really wasn't burned
out, the cop just used that as an excuse to pull me over) and a
cracked windshield, which really was badly cracked, but I could hardly
afford to fix it"
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.l...n&dmode=source

And, of course, you have cited these same motorists to be "perfectly
safe" at 80 mph, ad nauseum.

No, I stated that 80 MPH on an interstate highway was perfectly safe for
a competent driver, which it is.

Operating a motor vehicle is unsafe at any speed.

I'll oppose a law when it is unfair. *I will support a law when it makes
sense.

Which law is "unfair"...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2011 7:16 PM, Home Guy wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

I actually had the sticker removed from one of my license
plates once.

When we had that problem in my state, the publicized circumvention
was to score the sticker several times with a razor blade.

We've since gone to driver's side front windshield stickers.

The plate stickers here in Ontario (Canada) are designed such that they
can't be peeled off without breaking up badly once they've been applied
to the plate. They're usually just applied over-top the old sticker.

It's easier to print a fake sticker on a color ink jet than to steal one
if you ask me.

Ours are difficult also but can be done with a razor blade especially if
there is an old one or two under it. They are also reflective so they
are a little difficult to reproduce.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2011 06:11 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:55:42 -0500, wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Eh, some of them can be transferred, some can't. I remember my dad had
to get a new windshield in his old Chevy truck years ago, and the tech
actually cut that piece of the old windshield out and he had to leave it
on the dashboard until the next inspection interval rolled around (this
was in PA, at the time as I recall you had both an inspection and a
truck weight class sticker.) The Virginia inspection and county
stickers transfer though. In fact, the glue on the VA ones is so weak
that they start looking pretty shabby a couple months before the
inspection is due, especially if the car is parked outside so that you
get condensation on the inside of the windshield...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

I was just thinking of this lately. *Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

Right now they do in most states. It's kind of interesting, because many
states
have aggressive enforcement looking for people using farm diesel or #2
boiler
fuel in diesel trucks to avoid road fuel taxes. That was also an issue
with
propane conversions.

Two answers: *If electric cars are not taxed proportionally for highway use,
IT'S NOT FAIR! *Someone will sue, you can bet on that. *And really, an
electric car uses the highway the same as a fuel car. *I'm surprised they
haven't taxed bicyclists, since they are a "defined road user, subjects to
the same laws and rules as drivers."

They won't get anywhere with a lawsuit. The feds or state govt just
need
to say that they are encouraging use of electric vehicles by not
subjecting
them to the equivalent of a fuels tax. If they can give you a $12,000
tax
credit for buying one, they surely don't have to put a road tax on it
either.