Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Denver Collects Fines On Drivers Who Stop At Red Lights

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
Tony Miklos wrote:

I was just thinking of this lately. Do electric cars get away without
paying highway taxes?

Right now they do in most states. It's kind of interesting, because many
states
have aggressive enforcement looking for people using farm diesel or #2
boiler
fuel in diesel trucks to avoid road fuel taxes. That was also an issue
with
propane conversions.

Two answers: If electric cars are not taxed proportionally for highway use,
IT'S NOT FAIR! Someone will sue, you can bet on that. And really, an
electric car uses the highway the same as a fuel car. I'm surprised they
haven't taxed bicyclists, since they are a "defined road user, subjects to
the same laws and rules as drivers."

In Utah, diesel fuel that is used on farms or places where it's not subject
to road taxes has a purple dye in it. It works so good that it will
penetrate paint, making the offender easy to spot. I know I can NEVER fuel
up without dropping some. Or a simple looksee would find it. And the fines
are pretty steep if they do catch you.

Steve