Default Bricklaying newbie: frog up, top course collects water

My first bricklaying project -- a 2 course garden wall.

I have been following accepted advice and laying the bricks frog up.
But it is now clear that the final course with frog up will collect
water when it rains.

Coping stones are overkill for this project. Is it acceptable to
reverse things and use a "frog down" course for the final layer of
bricks?

Bruce

Paul Andrews

wrote in message
oups.com...
My first bricklaying project -- a 2 course garden wall.

I have been following accepted advice and laying the bricks frog up.
But it is now clear that the final course with frog up will collect
water when it rains.

Coping stones are overkill for this project. Is it acceptable to
reverse things and use a "frog down" course for the final layer of
bricks?

Bruce

Yes. Just look at the walls around you - you won't find any frog up bricks
in view!

Seems like putting "frog down" course on a "frog up" will take a lot of
mortar...

Bruce

Phil

Use a soldier course, or 'brick on edge' to complete the top....

Thanks, I've decided to go for 3 courses and try the "frog reversal"
method for the top course. Changing to complete "frog up" courses would
involve demolishing the work I've already done.

Using a soldier or brick-on-edge course isn't really a viable option
for such a small wall.

Bruce

Rod

"Paul Andrews" wrote in
:

snipped
Yes. Just look at the walls around you - you won't find any frog up
bricks in view!

Oh yes I will! A small garden wall, laid by previous owners, frog up. They
did fill the frogs with mortar so at least they don't form puddles. :-)

--
Rod

patio repointing: newbie tips [email protected] UK diy 1 June 22nd 05 10:14 PM
Mini-Gloat, Don't Do This, Newbie Question--All in one sidney Woodworking 4 March 20th 05 10:43 PM
Wall tiling: newbie project [email protected] UK diy 7 January 27th 05 12:08 PM
frog in toilet Melissa Home Repair 17 December 17th 04 12:22 AM
Brickwork vintage guide bricklaying 1945 FA Sarah M. UK diy 26 December 6th 04 01:53 AM