Default patio repointing: newbie tips

I am a "cement newbie" currently repointing my patio flags. Current
mortar pointing is breaking up and weeds are getting through.
I am using ready mixed Rugby mortar (not fast setting type); just add
water. I tend to rake out and redo a small patch each evening when the
sun is fading. Quite pleasant work really.

A few questions:

* Mortar mix -- stiff/sandy mix is easier to brush clean but is harder
to work with; wetter mix drops straight into the gap, but can get onto
flag face. Which is best?

* Do the flags need any expansion gaps left at the edges? Compared to
repointing using sand, say, repointing using mortar gives a less
flexible joint.

* I have read a few horror stories about such repointing tasks failing
quite quickly due to the mortar drying out. As a newbie, should I leave
this until the cooler weather?

bruce

andrewpreece

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a "cement newbie" currently repointing my patio flags. Current
mortar pointing is breaking up and weeds are getting through.
I am using ready mixed Rugby mortar (not fast setting type); just add
water. I tend to rake out and redo a small patch each evening when the
sun is fading. Quite pleasant work really.

A few questions:

* Mortar mix -- stiff/sandy mix is easier to brush clean but is harder
to work with; wetter mix drops straight into the gap, but can get onto
flag face. Which is best?

I use a wetter mix and just run a sponge over the flags. You need to rinse
the sponge out
and repeat this several times. Use plasticiser to get a really workable
mortar that isn't
too wet either.

* Do the flags need any expansion gaps left at the edges? Compared to
repointing using sand, say, repointing using mortar gives a less
flexible joint.

Don't know. Walls under about 13ft don't need expansion gaps so maybe you
can get
away without.

* I have read a few horror stories about such repointing tasks failing
quite quickly due to the mortar drying out. As a newbie, should I leave
this until the cooler weather?

bruce

cover with a wet sack if you're worried.

Andy