Roy

Default Question on Miller Spot welder tips

I have a Miller brand spot welder, and after a bit of use it seems
like the tips are froze in the tongs, and removing them usually strips
off the tips threads. They are cleaned before they are installed, and
tightened pretty snug. Is there anything that can be put on these tips
to prevent them from seizing up in the tongs?

I also acquired a pretty decent amount of replacement type tips from a
different type of spot welder. They are drilled for 1/4-28 threads,
and are abaout 5/8 or 11/16" in diameter and are the type for getting
alongside a corner. I drilled and tapped them the same as the Miller
3/8-24. Would a setscrew of 3/8-24 of sufficient length b e suitable
for a stud to secure these tips to my MIller or does it really need to
be copper or somethng else?

Getting all my ducks in a row so I can start to make the covers for my
bandsaw, and figurerd the spot welder would be great in some areas and
also to stick it together with until it can be finished up with MIG
were necessary.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Tom Gardner

Hi Roy,

I also have a Miller but the tips are tapered. I use a little, A VERY
LITTLE, anti seize or Mobil 1 grease. Any excess will contaminate my
recycled coolant water. If you have any questions or need a source of
supply for tips, I have a very good vendor.

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Roy
wrote:

I have a Miller brand spot welder, and after a bit of use it seems
like the tips are froze in the tongs, and removing them usually strips
off the tips threads. They are cleaned before they are installed, and
tightened pretty snug. Is there anything that can be put on these tips
to prevent them from seizing up in the tongs?

If you order replacement tips they come with a tiny packet of red goo.
It is the same stuff you can buy at car parts shops to prevent the
battery terminals from corroding.

As far as I know the tips always weld into the threads on these things.
I have had to chase teh threads with a tap each time I have put in new
tips.

It helps if you never let the tips get loose.
Also try not to overheat them.