Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...25092.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 12:18*pm, Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

My son works for them and they are being forced to unload a lot of
people.
Fortunately he's seems safe for now but they are dropping around him.

According to what I heard Limbaugh just say is extra expenses to banks
being incurred by the Durbin ammendment to Dodd-Frank. We gotta
unelect these morons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...25092.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

If my bank tries it, you can count me amongst the following:

This summer, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that two-thirds of consumers
use debit cards more frequently than credit cards. But when asked how they
would react if they were charged a $3 monthly debit card fee, 61 percent
said they'd find another way to pay.

With a $5 fee, 66 percent said they would change their payment method.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 30, 1:43*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

If my bank tries it, you can count me amongst the following:

This summer, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that two-thirds of consumers
use debit cards more frequently than credit cards. But when asked how they
would react if they were charged a $3 monthly debit card fee, 61 percent
said they'd find another way to pay.

With a $5 fee, 66 percent said they would change their payment method.

Yeah, let the assholes have to deal with a ****load of paper checks
again. What a crock!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in news:835abf7f-6011-48e5-a0c8-
:

On Sep 30, 12:18*pm, Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

My son works for them and they are being forced to unload a lot of
people.
Fortunately he's seems safe for now but they are dropping around him.

According to what I heard Limbaugh just say is extra expenses to banks
being incurred by the Durbin ammendment to Dodd-Frank. We gotta
unelect these morons.

Feel free to have your son forward on my Picture Summary to the Big Cheese.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

This summer, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that two-thirds of consumers
use debit cards more frequently than credit cards. But when asked how they
would react if they were charged a $3 monthly debit card fee, 61 percent
said they'd find another way to pay.

With a $5 fee, 66 percent said they would change their payment method.

Interesting. Was tell my bank to KMA and go somewhere else" an option?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

If my bank tries it, you can count me amongst the following:

This summer, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that two-thirds of
consum

ers
use debit cards more frequently than credit cards. But when asked how
the

would react if they were charged a $3 monthly debit card fee, 61
percent said they'd find another way to pay.

With a $5 fee, 66 percent said they would change their payment
method.

Yeah, let the assholes have to deal with a ****load of paper checks
again. What a crock!

....and you think per check fees will not become more rampant?!

Some banks/CU have a per check fee over a certain amount of checks per
month. Nothing prevents the "certain amount of checks" to be zero.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

[...]

I can't even remember the last time I had check fees. I'm now with
Wells Fargo, formally Wachovia, formally First Union.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 12:18 pm, Red wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

My son works for them and they are being forced to unload a lot of
people.
Fortunately he's seems safe for now but they are dropping around him.

According to what I heard Limbaugh just say is extra expenses to banks
being incurred by the Durbin ammendment to Dodd-Frank. We gotta
unelect these morons.

Feel free to have your son forward on my Picture Summary to the Big Cheese.

Not sure I'll show him. He's up to his eyeballs in work. Was supposed
to be over at 6 for a younger brother's birthday and got called to an
important meeting at 5:30. I always hated late afternoon meetings,
particularly on a Friday.

As for debit cards, wife and I don't use them. We avoid them as well as
atm cards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank wrote:

On Sep 30, 12:18*pm, Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

My son works for them and they are being forced to unload a lot of
people.
Fortunately he's seems safe for now but they are dropping around him.

According to what I heard Limbaugh just say is extra expenses to banks
being incurred by the Durbin ammendment to Dodd-Frank. We gotta
unelect these morons.

but of course it has nothing to do with all of the sub-prime loans BofA is
currently underwater on, could it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/30/11 02:22 pm, Ron wrote:

[...]

Our church is urging members to make contributions by EFT because
there's a per-check charge above 100 a month.

And the alternative some bank customers are talking about is credit unions.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote
Our church is urging members to make contributions by EFT because
there's a per-check charge above 100 a month.

I help them avoid the fees by not attending.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:16:20 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

My son works for them

[BofA]

I'm trying to find more details about this fee.

My card is Debit/Visa CC. If the Visa is used in lieu of Debit, does
the fee apply? What are the exemptions to the fee, based on account,
etc.?

If the fee applies to the Debit/Visa I'm leaving for a credit union.
They lost a 16 year customer.

Can your son offer some details?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote
Our church is urging members to make contributions by EFT because there's
a per-check charge above 100 a month.

I help them avoid the fees by not attending.

heatheng

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/30/2011 9:18 AM, Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...25092.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

Amusingly, you can now write a check and it's processed almost
immediately so the merchant's bad check costs are minimal. So maybe
checks will make a comeback.

Personally I'm amazed that anyone uses debit cards since credit cards
offer consumer protections not available on debit cards, and credit
cards have rewards programs, albeit not as good as in the past. Just got
word recently that the 2% Charles Schwab/FIA Visa is history and the
accounts were sold to BOA who wrecked the rewards program as expected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Personally I'm amazed that anyone uses debit cards since credit cards
offer consumer protections not available on debit cards, and credit
cards have rewards programs, albeit not as good as in the past. Just got
word recently that the 2% Charles Schwab/FIA Visa is history and the
accounts were sold to BOA who wrecked the rewards program as expected.

I'm trying to figure out where to go with the CC, I'm obviously staying
with Schwab for everything else. Any suggestions?
Maybe the Cap 1 rewards card instead of the mileage one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2011 12:18 PM, Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...25092.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

I don't understand why anyone would stay with a debit card unless their
credit rating is so bad they can't get a credit card.

I use credit cards (3) which one depends on where and what I'm buying.
I pay no monthly fees, no interest, and actually I get between 1 and 5%
back. Why pay them when they offer to pay me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...25092.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

The Dodd-Frank Wall Street and Financial Reform Act set a limit on the fee a
bank may charge a retail establishment for processing a card payment.
Actually, it was an amendment sponsored by Senator Dick Durbin that did the
deed. Prior to this law, the average interchange fee was 44 cents per
debit/credit card transaction. The new law limits the fee to 21-24 cents.

Obviously, this cuts the bank's take by 50%.

This results in at least $7 billion in extra revenue for retailers (unless
they lower their prices) and a corresponding $7 billion drop-off in revenue
for the banks. The former have no increases in costs and the latter have no
decrease in expenses.

So, if you are a bank and are faced with a 50% drop in revenue from one of
your revenue streams, you are almost forced to find a replacement revenue
source. Hence, BoA's $5/month debit card fee.

Personally, I don't begrudge BoA trying to find an offset for the money lost
due to government meddling, but I'm not going to pay the fee either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My son works for them

[BofA]

I'm trying to find more details about this fee.

My card is Debit/Visa CC. If the Visa is used in lieu of Debit, does
the fee apply? What are the exemptions to the fee, based on account,
etc.?

If the fee applies to the Debit/Visa I'm leaving for a credit union.
They lost a 16 year customer.

Why haven't you already? BoA has always sucked.

We have an account in a (regional) bank, only because we needed to transfer
money here when we bought the house. Then my wife started working for the
bank, so there other reasons and they have no fees for anything (yet). You
can bet that if they start that crap we'll close the account and put the money
back in the CU, where we've done our main "banking" for almost 40 years (even
though it's 1200 miles away).

Can your son offer some details?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:30:07 +0200, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote
Our church is urging members to make contributions by EFT because
there's a per-check charge above 100 a month.

I help them avoid the fees by not attending.

I do the same but it doesn't help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:25:45 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

I don't begrudge anyone for raising prices. I can go elsewhere and if I can't
the prices *should* be raised until I can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" writes:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

Hey I've got an idea. They can stop sending credit card offers to me
and my wife. Every week.

Boo hoo.

I'm glad BofA is taking such a dumb action.
They'll lose some customers.

Then maybe they won't be too big to fail any more.
It's a win-win.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My son works for them

[BofA]

I'm trying to find more details about this fee.

My card is Debit/Visa CC. If the Visa is used in lieu of Debit, does
the fee apply? What are the exemptions to the fee, based on account,
etc.?

If the fee applies to the Debit/Visa I'm leaving for a credit union.
They lost a 16 year customer.

Why haven't you already? BoA has always sucked.

Um, I'm on another account in another state in one instance. I could
not close that account if I wanted too. I monitor the account online
for an elder family member.

As the primary on my accounts in this state I can and will likely shut
it down. Just today I went looking for a local CU, besides my one CU
is in another state.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/30/2011 3:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Maybe the Cap 1 rewards card instead of the mileage one.

I applied for that card. 1.5% is better than 1%. Haven't received it
yet. Pain in the butt to move all the automatic payments over.

I knew from the start that the 2% could not last and was surprised that
it lasted as long as it did. The type of person that is a Schwab
customer is not carrying a credit card balance with a high interest rate
to subsidize the rewards program.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"HeyBub" writes:

Red Green wrote:
[...]

There's an exception in the law for banks whose total assets are less than
$10 billion. My neighborhood bank qualifies.

I moved my company account there after Chase demanded $15 per month for a
corporate checking account. This was after they charged me fifty-cents to
convert a $20 bill into two rolls of quarters! I still owe them about
$20,000 for a loan taken out years ago. They've been automatically debiting
by checking account for the monthly payments. Now that the checking account
is no more, I don't know what they're going to do...

Nor do I care much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/30/2011 3:25 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Personally, I don't begrudge BoA trying to find an offset for the money lost
due to government meddling, but I'm not going to pay the fee either.

I think the questions are a) how many customers will banks that
implement this fee lose completely, and b) will customers that stay
decide to switch to cash or checks, or credit cards from other banks
where BOA gets nothing at all. The credit cards from the major banks
have poor rewards programs so a lot of customers have cards from other
places with better rewards programs.

In short, the bank may not only lose the 44˘, they may lose the 21-24˘,
and not get it any of it back in merchant credit card fees. And once the
customers leave for another bank or CU they'll be hard to get back.

Besides credit unions, don't forget USAA Federal Savings Bank. You do
not need to be a USAA member (former military) in order to have an
account there (you need to be a member if you want to buy insurance from
them). There is no minimum balance for free checking, they rebate out of
network ATM fees up to $15 per month, you can make deposits at UPS
stores, or you can deposit checks with an Android phone or an iPhone or
a scanner hooked to your computer, and checks are free. They also offer
prepaid debit cards for teens at no charge.

usaa.com/inet/pages/no_fee_checking_main
usaa.com/inet/pages/youth_prepaid_spending_card_main
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 30, 2:50*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
On 09/30/11 02:22 pm, Ron wrote:

. ..

[...]

Fortunately, I'm a USAA member, so if Wells Fargo tries to pull any of
that crap, I'll just take out all of my money and do my banking with
them.

USAA doesn't play those stupid games.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_main
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Speaking of banks (was: OT - As promised, Debit card fees)

Anyone else notice that Drudge doesn't post the weekly "X banks closed
by FDIC" anymore?

You know what I mean. Friday is bank closing day in the USA.

Every friday, in the late afternoon, a convoy of black SUV's with tinted
glass rolls up to all the banks that that the FDIC is going to shut
down. A swarm of men in suits with briefcases and dark sunglasses get
out of the SUV's and enter the banks. The last one through the door
flips the "Open" sign around and locks the doors.

It usually doesn't make the news until saturday or sunday, and Drudge
would post the story on Sunday or Monday.

So let's see what got shutdown today:

(does google news search for FDIC bank closure)

Ah, this looks like a good link:

--------------
Texas Bank Is Closed; U.S. 2011 Failures at 74
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Texas regulators closed First International Bank of Plano, bringing the
nationwide tally of bank failures to 74 for the year.

The average size of banks that fail has shrunk significantly since the
financial crisis, but the pace of failures has picked up slightly
recently. Some 26 banks failed in the third quarter, the same as in the
first, but the number had dropped to 22 in the second quarter.
--------------

I think there was about 130 banks closed last year in the USA, and
dozens more in the previous few years.

Number of banks closed in Canada in the past few years: Zero.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/30/2011 6:50 PM, Ron wrote:

snip

Fortunately, I'm a USAA member, so if Wells Fargo tries to pull any of
that crap, I'll just take out all of my money and do my banking with
them.

USAA doesn't play those stupid games.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_main

Remember, you only have to be a USAA member to buy their insurance.
Anyone can bank with USAA Federal Savings Bank. See
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_eligibility_main

They are consistently the highest rated bank in the U.S.. No minimum
balance on checking, reimbursement of up to $15 of out of network ATM
fees per month, no-charge prepaid Mastercard debit cards for teens, free
checks, and if you must deposit a physical check you can do it at many
UPS stores (or you can deposit checks with an iPhone/iPod Touch or
Android, or with a scanner.

http://www.mybanktracker.com/highest-rated-banks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 22:00:41 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

[...]

Likely reason, Canuks don't have Dodd–Frank - / Durbin amendment
involved.

Oh Canada, we still don't like the Queen!

I don't even like your Kentucky Chicken Fricassee (KFC) in Niagara
Falls, Canada.

Learn how to fry chicken!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 30, 11:44*pm, SMS wrote:
On 9/30/2011 6:50 PM, Ron wrote:

snip

Fortunately, I'm a USAA member, so if Wells Fargo tries to pull any of
that crap, I'll just take out all of my money and do my banking with
them.

USAA doesn't play those stupid games.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bank_main

Remember, you only have to be a USAA member to buy their insurance.
Anyone can bank with USAA Federal Savings Bank. See
https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/why_choose_usaa_eligibility_main

They are consistently the highest rated bank in the U.S.. No minimum
balance on checking, reimbursement of up to $15 of out of network ATM
fees per month, no-charge prepaid Mastercard debit cards for teens, free
checks, and if you must deposit a physical check you can do it at many
UPS stores (or you can deposit checks with an iPhone/iPod Touch or
Android, or with a scanner.

http://www.mybanktracker.com/highest-rated-banks

Well, there is no "remember" on my part. I thought everything that
they offered was military related.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 1, 12:16*am, Ron wrote:
On Sep 30, 11:44*pm, SMS wrote:

On 9/30/2011 6:50 PM, Ron wrote:

snip

[...]

BTW, glad you pointed that out. It may help out some people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:18:59 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:44:45 -0700, SMS
wrote:

On 9/30/2011 4:29 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Why haven't you already? BoA has always sucked.

I can't escape. They keep buying banks I do business with.

I had a mortgage and a CD with Countrywide and BOA took them over. At
the time, Countrywide had a 2% rebate credit card if you deposited the
rewards into a Countrywide CD. Of course BOA ended that 2% program.

Because they now own your mortgage doesn't mean you have to bank with them. By
all reports they suck as a mortgage bank, too, but you didn't make that
choice.

Now BOA took over the Schwab/FIA Visa card with a 2% rebate and
destroyed it, which was not unexpected since 2% rebate credit cards
never seem to last long.

You can always change CCCs.

The only good thing about the BOA Visa card is that it gets you into a
bunch of museums for free http://museums.bankofamerica.com/ so I will
keep the new card and use it once in a while so they don't close the
account.

That is interesting.

I'm sure that BOA thought this whole thing through and concluded that:
a) many other banks will follow their lead so customers that don't want
to use a credit union or online bank have little choice.

What's wrong with a CU? We haven't joined another because the one we joined
35 years ago still does a great job, even though it's 1200 miles away.

b) the cost-sensitive customers they lose are worth less than the money
they'll gain from customers that don't care about the $60 per year.

The ones they do lose are likely to be the ones they don't want to lose.

c) many customers that are complaining about the new fee never use a
debit card for purchases anyway and won't leave because it's too much of
a hassle to change banks.

I don't buy that argument either.

I bet if you keep a reasonable balance, you won't be paying this fee.
I don't ever pay any bank fees.
Usually $2500 will seal the deal.

My wife heard $20,000 to $50,000. ...like I'm going to leave that in a bank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote

Personally I'm amazed that anyone uses debit cards since credit cards
offer consumer protections not available on debit cards,

Personally, I'm amazed that people don't know many debit cards offer the
same protection as credit cards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote
I don't understand why anyone would stay with a debit card unless their
credit rating is so bad they can't get a credit card.

I'm in Italy this week and next. I can get cash at an ATM cheaper than any
other method.
Here, cash can get you nice discounts compared to a CC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Oct 1, 2:02*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"SMS" wrote

Personally I'm amazed that anyone uses debit cards since credit cards
offer consumer protections not available on debit cards,

Personally, I'm amazed that people don't know many debit cards offer the
same protection as credit cards.

Yep..............
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
wrote:

On Sep 30, 12:18 pm, Red wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

My son works for them and they are being forced to unload a lot of
people.
Fortunately he's seems safe for now but they are dropping around him.

According to what I heard Limbaugh just say is extra expenses to banks
being incurred by the Durbin ammendment to Dodd-Frank. We gotta
unelect these morons.

but of course it has nothing to do with all of the sub-prime loans BofA is
currently underwater on, could it.

Limbagh explicitly omits facts. That would just confuse the dittoheads
if they actually had to weigh facts instead of just knowing he has
already done that for them...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 30, 11:18*am, Red Green wrote:
BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-5-apf-1381425...

Picture Summary:http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

Looks like we need to go ahead and get our concealed carry permits so
we can carry more cash.

We walked into a bank earlier this week to get a cashiers check for
$10K for a car purchase. The account we were removing the money from
was NOT small.

They wanted $10 to process a cashier's check.

We tied up two of their people for about 15-20 minutes dragging cash
out of the vault, counting it out to one-another and then to us. I
suspect that cost more than processing the check. I would have been
uncomfortable carrying that much cash but we were depositing it in
another bank 20 minutes away.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 08:02:00 +0200, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"SMS" wrote

Personally I'm amazed that anyone uses debit cards since credit cards
offer consumer protections not available on debit cards,

Personally, I'm amazed that people don't know many debit cards offer the
same protection as credit cards.

Not quite the same. CCs are protected by law. Some/most DCs are protected by
contract. After a loss, CC: the CC company's money is on the line, DC: your
money is in the ether (which can cause all sorts of other issues).