Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

On 10/14/2011 4:38 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Where did you go?

The free Capital One card. 1% rebate as you spend, 0.5% extra at the end
of the year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/14/2011 8:00 AM, chaniarts wrote:
On 10/13/2011 4:41 PM, SMS wrote:
On 9/30/2011 3:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where to go with the CC, I'm obviously staying
with Schwab for everything else. Any suggestions?
Maybe the Cap 1 rewards card instead of the mileage one.

It's time to bid a fond farewell to the FIA/Schwab Visa Signature card
with the 2% rebate. I began moving my automatic payments off the 2%
card, which expires on October 31st, onto a 1.5% rebate card. Strangely
there has no been Bank of America replacement card yet, but they still
have a couple of weeks.

The 2% was nice while it lasted.

my amex costco card rebates 3% on gas, 2% on travel related stuff, and
1% on everything else.

I have the business membership, so I get 4% on gas (used to be 5%). But
the 1% on everything else is low, and many places don't take Amex,
especially outside the U.S..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2011 4:41 PM, SMS wrote:
On 9/30/2011 3:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where to go with the CC, I'm obviously staying
with Schwab for everything else. Any suggestions?
Maybe the Cap 1 rewards card instead of the mileage one.

It's time to bid a fond farewell to the FIA/Schwab Visa Signature card
with the 2% rebate. I began moving my automatic payments off the 2%
card, which expires on October 31st, onto a 1.5% rebate card. Strangely
there has no been Bank of America replacement card yet, but they still
have a couple of weeks.

The 2% was nice while it lasted.

my amex costco card rebates 3% on gas, 2% on travel related stuff, and
1% on everything else.

I have the business membership, so I get 4% on gas (used to be 5%). But
the 1% on everything else is low, and many places don't take Amex,
especially outside the U.S..

Inside the US, it's rare that businesses don't take Amex. I have an Amex
Clear (1% back) that I've been using for four years. I can count on one hand
the times I couldn't use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2011 4:41 PM, SMS wrote:
On 9/30/2011 3:00 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I'm trying to figure out where to go with the CC, I'm obviously staying
with Schwab for everything else. Any suggestions?
Maybe the Cap 1 rewards card instead of the mileage one.

It's time to bid a fond farewell to the FIA/Schwab Visa Signature card
with the 2% rebate. I began moving my automatic payments off the 2%
card, which expires on October 31st, onto a 1.5% rebate card. Strangely
there has no been Bank of America replacement card yet, but they still
have a couple of weeks.

The 2% was nice while it lasted.

my amex costco card rebates 3% on gas, 2% on travel related stuff, and
1% on everything else.

My AMEX Costco Card ($50 Costco membership each year; has it gone up
again to $55 as someone suggested?) will rebate only 0.25% on the first
$3,000 of annual purchases of "everything else." Then it goes up to a
magnanimous 0.5% and finally to 1.0%. That's why I use the card only at
Costco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2011 4:41 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

you should complain, or cancel and reapply as the standard rebates are a
lot higher.

http://www304.americanexpress.com/getthecard/learn-about/Costco-TrueEarnings

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2011 4:41 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. Surfing the net, I found you are right. My old
Costco AMEX card has tiered rebate benefits. The new "True Value AMEX"
Costco card apparently has the 3%, 2%, 1% rebates. You bet I will be
switching ASAP. Naturally there was no notice about this from either
Costco or AMEX.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 10/13/2011 4:41 PM, SMS wrote:
[...]

I received many notices when they changed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Friend of mine decided to cancel his BoA Visa. They are trying to
charge him a $25 disconnect fee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:48:34 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Friend of mine decided to cancel his BoA Visa. They are trying to
charge him a $25 disconnect fee.

I think it would be time to give the banking commission, and maybe a
congressman or two, a jingle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:48:34 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Friend of mine decided to cancel his BoA Visa. They are trying to
charge him a $25 disconnect fee.

I think it would be time to give the banking commission, and maybe a
congressman or two, a jingle.

I told him to go through the regular protocol for disputing a charge.
Especially since the 800 number has yet to point out where in the
agreement the fee is shown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:00:45 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:48:34 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Friend of mine decided to cancel his BoA Visa. They are trying to
charge him a $25 disconnect fee.

I think it would be time to give the banking commission, and maybe a
congressman or two, a jingle.

I told him to go through the regular protocol for disputing a charge.
Especially since the 800 number has yet to point out where in the
agreement the fee is shown.

Of course, the other alternative is to cut the thing up and let them cancel it
after non-use. It does leave an open account out there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

Of course, the other alternative is to cut the thing up and let them cancel
it
after non-use. It does leave an open account out there.

He said they were going to charge interest on the fee. All this hooha
was because they charged this fee (BECAUSE) he cut up the card and
cancelled it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 12:29:32 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

Of course, the other alternative is to cut the thing up and let them cancel
it
after non-use. It does leave an open account out there.

He said they were going to charge interest on the fee. All this hooha
was because they charged this fee (BECAUSE) he cut up the card and
cancelled it.

I missed that part. Yes, it seems he should have cancelled the card when the
charge was announced. If it's gone some time, he may be screwed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

This summer, an Associated Press-GfK poll found that two-thirds of

consumers
use debit cards more frequently than credit cards. But when asked how

they
would react if they were charged a $3 monthly debit card fee, 61 percent
said they'd find another way to pay.

With a $5 fee, 66 percent said they would change their payment method.

Interesting. Was tell my bank to KMA and go somewhere else" an option?

Apparently, a lot of people, including me, took their money out to the
extent that BoA is no longer the number one bank in terms of assets. They
were trying to punish Congress through the people and ended up shooting
themselves in the foot. I'm betting a lot of people will be leaving in the
future just because they tried such a stupid stunt and that the payback for
BoA is going to be quite painful. Good on 'em.

BofA backpedals on $5 debit fee
Chase opts out of debit-card fee
Another fee bites the dust: Wells Fargo backs off debit charge

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...-card-use.html

Bowing to a national flood of protests, Bank of America Corp. is calling
off its plan to charge customers $5 a month for using its debit cards to
make purchases -- a strategy that proved a public relations disaster for
what once was America's biggest bank. Analysts had believed the rest of the
banking industry would follow BofA in imposing similar fees to make up for
new rules restricting the fees banks charge merchants for accepting debit
cards . . . Bank of America lost its No. 1 ranking in asset size to JPMorgan
Chase & Co. at the end of September, though it still has the most total
deposits. It announced its decision on the debit fee Tuesday morning in a
two-paragraph statement citing "customer concerns and the changing
competitive marketplace."

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...ndons-plan-to-
charge-5-a-month-for-debit-card-use.html

Bowing to a national flood of protests, Bank of America Corp. is
calling off its plan to charge customers $5 a month for using its
debit cards to make purchases -- a strategy that proved a public
relations disaster for what once was America's biggest bank. Analysts
had believed the rest of the banking industry would follow BofA in
imposing similar fees to make up for new rules restricting the fees
banks charge merchants for accepting debit cards . . . Bank of America
lost its No. 1 ranking in asset size to JPMorgan Chase & Co. at the
end of September, though it still has the most total deposits. It
announced its decision on the debit fee Tuesday morning in a
two-paragraph statement citing "customer concerns and the changing
competitive marketplace."

--
Bobby G.

Yea, Yahoo had some words on it as I'm sure many did.

http://tinyurl.com/5ws67op
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-apf-138142509
2.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

A new level of service at BoA cash machine. An exec greeting your ATM
transaction visit.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/s...225440002.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

BoA heads up a cast of characters.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-o...-apf-138142509
2.html?x=0

Picture Summary: http://oi54.tinypic.com/vx1amv.jpg

Bank Transfer Day

"A grassroots movement that sprang to life last month is urging bank
customers to close their accounts in favor of credit unions by
Saturday."

http://news.yahoo.com/fed-consumers-...185804982.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...m-on-facebook/