Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:13:39 -0700, SMS wrote:

On 10/14/2011 9:33 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Inside the US, it's rare that businesses don't take Amex. I have an Amex
Clear (1% back) that I've been using for four years. I can count on one hand
the times I couldn't use it.

Most of the lower-priced, independently owned, ethnic restaurants in my
area don't take Amex because of the higher fees (and there are a great
many of those types of restaurants). It does seem like more stores are
beginning to take Amex, i.e. two stores that didn't use to take Amex,
Fry's and Trader Joe's, do. One store I go to a lot, Daiso, does not
take Amex or Discover.

Discover, yes. As I said, I can count on one hand the number of times my Amex
has been refused in the last four years that I've had it. Long ago, very few
places took Amex, but not so many refuse it these days. In fact, the only one
that comes to mind where I couldn't use it lately was a Canadian company, over
the Internet. They lost a $400 sale. shrug