Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Curious hugshake

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
news
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other
with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder,
each touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder
front, and the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

I think it was something that started on TV, so now everyone has to do it.
Fist bumps, high fives, etc. I'm not much of a participant in that stuff,
I'm just an old fart traditionalist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote the following:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

It's just a fad. My hugs with my male friends are two handed with both
hands and arms around the back of each other, much like brothers would
do. I am heterosexual in case you wondered. I am also married to a
female and have fathered 4 kids.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 4:24*am, "Steve B" wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. *This consists of the two males handshaking each other with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

Some people ar eeasily influenced by watching too much TV. They need
to get a life watching such drivel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male
on male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each
other with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their
shoulder, each touching the other's shoulder right front with their
own shoulder front, and the left hands patting the other one on the
back.
Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Dunno. But if I don't know the implications or meanings of a particular
ritual, I'm sure as hell not going to participate in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FlavorFlav" wrote in message
eb.com...

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male
on male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each
other with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their
shoulder, each touching the other's shoulder right front with their
own shoulder front, and the left hands patting the other one on the
back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

Do you live in the hills? geesh, U R behind the times.

If you don't have an answer, please don't post. And what's with that stupid
clock around your neck?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other
with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front,
and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

So, you have an obsession with homosexuality? Very interesting.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male
on male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each
other with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their
shoulder, each touching the other's shoulder right front with their
own shoulder front, and the left hands patting the other one on the
back.
Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Dunno. But if I don't know the implications or meanings of a particular
ritual, I'm sure as hell not going to participate in it.

That is the point. I wanted to identify its origin and meaning before
continuing to allow it. I prefer a traditional handshake. The fist
pounding and high five is a sign of understanding or a celebration, and they
are simple expressions. This ons is bulky, and if you are not expecting it,
or familiar with it, you almost want to pull away.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

FlavorFlav wrote in news:4e6ef58a$0$18832
:

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male
on male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each
other with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their
shoulder, each touching the other's shoulder right front with their
own shoulder front, and the left hands patting the other one on the
back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

Do you live in the hills? geesh, U R behind the times.

behind the times.

What exactly does that mean? That I don't feel insecure and conform to
someone elses ways so I don't feel left out? OK.

If you wanna go flipping hands in circles, slaps, left and right, find a
rapper or whatever.

If you wanna hug find a woman.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 9:45*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Do you often look for a conspiracy or ulterior motive? You said a
couple of buddies started doing it. If you don't trust them or their
motives, why are you buddies with them?

Look at it this way - all forms of greeting impart social significance
and in many/most cultures also illustrate the social standing between
the two people. If your buddies are willing to get in close, they're
simply saying they like you a lot - more than just a handshake. It
doesn't mean they are trying to get into your pants.

Another way to look at it - harry is against the bro hug. That should
be enough to tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

On Sep 13, 9:45*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:
[...]

[text version of pop-up window] Are you sure?

:-)

Another way to look at it - harry is against the bro hug. That should
be enough to tell you that there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 11:22*am, Red Green wrote:
RicodJour wrote in news:
On Sep 13, 9:45 am, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Unless you have information to the contrary, yes. I assume that Steve
B is like most men - slightly repulsive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2011 11:33 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Sep 13, 11:22 am, Red wrote:
wrote in news:
On Sep 13, 9:45 am, "Steve wrote:

[...]

Seeing some of Steve's responses, I thought that "friends" knowing he
had a heart condition were trying to help do him in
Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote in
:

RicodJour wrote in news:
On Sep 13, 9:45 am, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Yea, I got some of that too with a slight case of over achievement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 11:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

It -was- a "black" thing. Originally intended to place one's hearts
together as a gesture of "unity".

Now, it's just ghey.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 9:45 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I can tell that you have never felt the grasp of a cultist handshake, or are
too ignorant to recognize their subtle inquisition as to whether or not you
are one of the "secret" members. Your answer has nothing to do with the
question.

And who is harry?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote Unless you have information to
the contrary, yes. I assume that Steve
B is like most men - slightly repulsive.

like most men - slightly repulsive.

Yea, I got some of that too with a slight case of over achievement.

Guilty on both counts.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:24:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Bromance?

-noun
1. A non-sexual relationship between two men that are unusually close.
-verb -mans-ing
1. The act of wooing a fellow male friend for the purpose of becoming
closer.

2. Going to unusual lengths in an attempt to become closer with
another male friend.

"The newcomers include overly involved "helicopter parents," for
instance, and the "boomerang child" who's returned home in adulthood
for financial reasons. Maybe he's spending his days listening to
"Americana" music, steering clear of that lonely "cougar" across the
street and hanging out a lot with his best buddy, shaking off jokes
that they're in a "bromance." And, of course, he "tweets" every detail
of it."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44273905/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/t/merriam-webster-adds-tweet-other-new-words/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2011 8:45 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Eh...Sounds a little homophobic to me. In some cultures it's common for
male friends to kiss. Remember GW kissing the king of Saudi Arabia?

I've noticed handshakes are not as common. Suits me just fine. I never
make any gesture anymore. I say hello and hope that's enough. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other
with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder,
each touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder
front, and the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

So, you have an obsession with homosexuality?

I do?

Very interesting.

Not to me

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 11:50:25 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

wrote:

About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other
with their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder,
each touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder
front, and the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

So, you have an obsession with homosexuality?

I do?

Very interesting.

Not to me

This is all perfectly natural talk as soon as somebody mentions
queers. Looks like Steve is pretty PC.
My first inclination was to respond along those lines, but it's really
pointless - the jokes are too old.
I've had these "man hug" deals.
It always feels natural enough.
Somebody mentioned it was a "black brotherhood" thing.
Might be.
I still hug and kiss my own brothers when I see them, and find myself
doing the "man hug" thing with male in-laws.
Don't know who initiates it, it just happens.
I don't have any friends I do that with, but maybe because I don't
have any close friends.
Sounds like Steve is in a good place.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 23:43:43 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

I think it was something that started on TV, so now everyone has to do it.
Fist bumps, high fives, etc. I'm not much of a participant in that stuff,
I'm just an old fart traditionalist.

Might just be my raising, but I was taught a handshake should be firm.
You can tell a bit about a person from a handshake. Some folks might
as well put a fish in my hand.

There is no more a time when a man's handshake was his solemn word.
Now days you have to have a 20 page Contract :-/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

So, you have an obsession with homosexuality?

I do?

Very interesting.

Not to me

Steve

Please reread the thread and tell me who brought it up. Hint: it wasn't
me.

You may go now. You don't seem to be able to follow common conversation,
make relevant replies, and you seem to take off on vague tangents based on
your own mysterious personal experiences. BTW, how was your trip to SF?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote

have they recently travelled to San Francisco?

So, you have an obsession with homosexuality?

I do?

Very interesting.

Not to me

Steve

Please reread the thread and tell me who brought it up. Hint: it wasn't
me.

You may go now. You don't seem to be able to follow common conversation,
make relevant replies, and you seem to take off on vague tangents based on
your own mysterious personal experiences. BTW, how was your trip to SF?

Steve

So, you have an obsession with homosexuality?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:42:37 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"FlavorFlav" wrote in message
web.com...

[...]

Do you live in the hills? geesh, U R behind the times.

If you don't have an answer, please don't post. And what's with that stupid
clock around your neck?

Steve

I wondered about the clock. Couple a weeks ago I went to the bank to
use the ATM outside. This guy comes out with this wall clock around
his neck. I notice he has a key ring with about 100 + keys of all
types, and shapes ( I collect some keys so I notice). He tells me not
to put my ATM card in the machine as he thinks it ate the previous
person's card.

Me: "Hey I know you. What's your name?"

Him: (reaching to shake my hand) "Flavor Flav!"

What a weak-assed handshake....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote

I've noticed handshakes are not as common. Suits me just fine. I never
make any gesture anymore. I say hello and hope that's enough. :-)

And I extend my right hand for an eye to eye handshake. After that, I'm
uncomfortable with variations that I am not familiar with. I think it very
impolite of the other person to be able to interpret variations of a common
handshake along with all the other slapping, banging, and hand movements
that come along with or after extending a hand for a common handshake.

Homophobic? I know there are a lot of queers out there. And in here. For
someone to immediately draw me into a hug as part of a simple common
handshake to me is a homosexual advance, and something I would recoil from.

Now that I have had enough information to know that this is not a probing
handshake asking me if I am another member of some secret society, as some
handshakes are, I shall keep it to a handshake, and reserve the hug for
those I choose to hug. Being pulled into a hug is an unwanted sexual
advance, just as any unexpected unwanted unsolicited body contact is.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic
overtones?

Bromance?

-noun
1. A non-sexual relationship between two men that are unusually close.
-verb -mans-ing
1. The act of wooing a fellow male friend for the purpose of becoming
closer.

2. Going to unusual lengths in an attempt to become closer with
another male friend.

I saw that the other day. It perfectly describes one of my friends. The
other is a member of a common secret cult. I mentioned it to him, and we
had a laugh. I would do almost anything for my good friend. You can fill
in the blanks of the things I would not do.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Steve B wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

It means you're gay?

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2011 6:03 PM, Larry W wrote:
In ,
Steve wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front, and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

It means you're gay?

He's afraid he's gay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren"

Might just be my raising, but I was taught a handshake should be firm.
You can tell a bit about a person from a handshake. Some folks might
as well put a fish in my hand.

And I don't like those dead fish handshakes, nor do I like anything extra
that I am SUPPOSED to know what to do and SUPPOSED to understand the meaning
thereof.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

And I extend my right hand for an eye to eye handshake. After that, I'm
uncomfortable with variations that I am not familiar with. I think it
very impolite of the other person to be able to interpret variations of a
common handshake along with all the other slapping, banging, and hand
movements that come along with or after extending a hand for a common
handshake.

Sorry. Should have interjected :

TO EXPECT ME

between:

I think it very
impolite of the other person

and

to be able to interpret variations of a common
handshake along with all the other slapping, banging, and hand movements
that come along with or after extending a hand for a common handshake.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve B wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other
with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front,
and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

It means you're gay?

No, it means you just disappeared from my sight forever
.............................. hasta la vista, baby.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other
with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front,
and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic
overtones?

Steve

It means you're gay?

He's afraid he's gay.

AMF

This is getting funny. But maybe not to you.
Here's an idea.
You said they're your friends.
Ask them what's up with that type handshake.
Then you'll know.
I told you I've done it with in-laws.
To me it was a sign of affection and good will, nothing else.
Basically, "I'm here for you if you need me."
With a good friend it would be the same.
I wouldn't like it if I didn't feel like "being there" for the other
person. Wouldn't be honest.
Push him off probably.
That's one reason I don't have that type of friend any more.
Since my old friends are gone I haven't got close to any.
Got my own family to take care of.
Just something to think about.
Don't know if any of that applies to you.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
news
About three months ago, a couple of my friends started giving me male on
male hugshakes. This consists of the two males handshaking each other

with
their right hands, pulling the other male towards their shoulder, each
touching the other's shoulder right front with their own shoulder front,

and
the left hands patting the other one on the back.

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or

ritualistic
overtones?

Was your wallet missing afterwards? Sounds like a pickpocket move to me.
(-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is this a new style of handshake, or does it have any secret or
ritualistic overtones?

Steve

I think it was something that started on TV, so now everyone has to do it.
Fist bumps, high fives, etc. I'm not much of a participant in that stuff,
I'm just an old fart traditionalist.

Might just be my raising, but I was taught a handshake should be firm.
You can tell a bit about a person from a handshake. Some folks might
as well put a fish in my hand.

For some men a handshake is a chance to prove how strong they are.
I have one uncle-in-law whom I refuse to shake hands with.
He puts out his hand to shake and I just pat him on the arm.
Do they still make those toy vibrating things that are slipped on a
finger and feel like an electrical shock when shaking hands?

There is no more a time when a man's handshake was his solemn word.
Now days you have to have a 20 page Contract :-/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

I'm curious Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 10 August 31st 09 08:59 PM
Just curious.... Gerry[_2_] Metalworking 23 August 17th 07 02:24 PM
CURIOUS ... .-.MINDY.-. Home Repair 0 May 22nd 07 06:44 PM
Curious enough to know? [email protected] UK diy 10 February 25th 06 12:07 PM
Curious about E-bay leonard Woodworking 9 July 27th 05 01:12 AM