Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Curious hugshake

"JimT" wrote

I've noticed handshakes are not as common. Suits me just fine. I never
make any gesture anymore. I say hello and hope that's enough. :-)

And I extend my right hand for an eye to eye handshake. After that, I'm
uncomfortable with variations that I am not familiar with. I think it very
impolite of the other person to be able to interpret variations of a common
handshake along with all the other slapping, banging, and hand movements
that come along with or after extending a hand for a common handshake.

Homophobic? I know there are a lot of queers out there. And in here. For
someone to immediately draw me into a hug as part of a simple common
handshake to me is a homosexual advance, and something I would recoil from.

Now that I have had enough information to know that this is not a probing
handshake asking me if I am another member of some secret society, as some
handshakes are, I shall keep it to a handshake, and reserve the hug for
those I choose to hug. Being pulled into a hug is an unwanted sexual
advance, just as any unexpected unwanted unsolicited body contact is.

Steve