Old May 21st 11, 09:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Wood rack cover

In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many.

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. Anyone use them for
similar projects?

Old May 21st 11, 10:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On May 21, 3:52*pm, Jim wrote:
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. *Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. *This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many. *

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. *Anyone use them for
similar projects?

CDX will last much longer than BC.
Old May 21st 11, 10:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Sat, 21 May 2011 14:07:52 -0700, Red wrote:

On May 21, 3:52*pm, Jim wrote:
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. *Trying to
find that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. *This will
be covered by green tarps of which I have many.

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider
instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. *Anyone use them for
similar projects?

CDX will last much longer than BC.

Can CDX be cut at the store. Couple years back I bought some pressure
treated timbers and the said the weren't allowed due to arsenic. Might
that be the difference between CDX and ACX?
Old May 22nd 11, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many.

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. Anyone use them for
similar projects?

The actual steel metal sheeting they have at the Borgs makes a fine cover.
Some of the better ones actually have up to eleven levels of coatings on
them, and you can buy ridge cap and edging to make a really professional
little wood shelter. It is about $1.25 per foot, and that would amount to 3
square foot. So, a guy could make a nice metal cover for two sheets, and
some trim, translates out to about $50. If you can weld, you can
incorporate a metal frame of 1" x 1" .065" square tube at about $.60 per
lineal foot.

It is what I am going to be making for my firewood this year, but it will be
a larger version, as I have about 100 sheets of 12' long sheeting, and
hundreds of feet of 1" square tube, and a supplier of cheap trim. I shall
just have to go buy some ridge cap.

Consider wrapping three sides to keep the wind from blowing snow or rain
into the wood, and other considerations as to where this will set so that
you will have a dry supply of wood.

A word of caution: Wood is a preferred home of brown recluse spiders and
other nasty critters. Poison can be spread so that it is on the flooring,
and all around the wood, but avoid spraying the wood directly, as you are
going to burn said wood. Adhesive spider traps have no toxic agents. Watch
your wood for signs of mold, and other deterioration, and deal with it.
Make your rack so that there is some allowance for air to circulate around
it, which will help it keep dry, and keep down on mold and "stuff".

This summer we shall go get our obligatory 5 cords for $20 from the BLM. We
ran out last winter, and that ain't gonna happen again, even if I have to
make a special wood shed.

HTH

Steve

HTH

Steve

Old May 22nd 11, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
On May 21, 3:52 pm, Jim wrote:
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many.

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. Anyone use them for
similar projects?

CDX will last much longer than BC.

And metal never rots.

Steve

Old May 22nd 11, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote the following:
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many.

So why do you need to construct anything? Won't the tarp alone do the job?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old May 22nd 11, 01:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On May 21, 3:52*pm, Jim wrote:
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. *Trying to
find that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. *This will
be covered by green tarps of which I have many.

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider
instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. *Anyone use them for
similar projects?

CDX will last much longer than BC.

Can CDX be cut at the store. *Couple years back I bought some pressure
treated timbers and the said the weren't allowed due to arsenic. *Might
that be the difference between CDX and ACX?

Yes. CDX is not pressure treated but is rated for exterior use
without ground contact. Since you are covering it with a tarp it
should last quite a while.
Arsenic treated lumber (ACQ) was banned several years back and you
probably will never find it on the shelves anymore. Todays PT lumber
is mostly MCQ (micronized copper) which replaced it's corrosion prone
predecessor.
Old May 22nd 11, 01:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On May 21, 6:13*pm, willshak wrote:
Jim wrote the following:

In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. *Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. *This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many. *

So why do you need to construct anything? Won't the tarp alone do the job?

Green tarps over a wood pile will only last a few months due to
chaffing. And I've never found any made to a size that fit my wood
pile.

Old May 22nd 11, 02:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 3:52*pm, Jim wrote:
[...]

predecessor.- Hide quoted text -

We burn several cords a year and just cover ours with tarps held down
with concrete blocks on the corners and brick on top.
Old May 22nd 11, 02:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Green tarps over a wood pile will only last a few months due to
chaffing. And I've never found any made to a size that fit my wood
pile.

reply:

When I want to go get wood, I don't want to pull off a tarp with a foot of
snow on it, or is sopping wet. It's windy, it's sleeting, it's cold. I
don't want to spend any more time than I need to fetch some wood. And I
sure don't want to wrestle with a sodden tarp.

How anyone cannot grasp that a tarp cover for a wood pile is a weak idea is
beyond me.

Or they don't use wood to heat.

Steve

Anyone here tried to dry wood with the rack in a clothes dryer? Lyndell Thompson Woodturning 28 December 8th 07 04:29 PM
mount towel rack/magazine rack to ceramic tile mikeasmel Home Repair 3 March 9th 07 02:15 PM
Wood for Wine Rack Construction Geoff Schultz Woodworking 26 January 10th 07 10:50 PM
Triton wood rack... Ron Woodworking 4 August 24th 06 01:25 AM
What can be used to cover wood apart from tarps? dean Home Repair 9 October 22nd 05 02:30 PM