Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mount towel rack/magazine rack to ceramic tile

Does anyone know how one mounts a towel rack or magazine rack that
Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware sell onto ceramic tile in a
bathroom? Do I have to drill and if so how and with what? Or is there
some sort of special cement and if so, what is it called?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Mar 8, 10:52?am, "mikeasmel" wrote:
Does anyone know how one mounts a towel rack or magazine rack that
Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware sell onto ceramic tile in a
bathroom? Do I have to drill and if so how and with what? Or is there
some sort of special cement and if so, what is it called?

Don't they give instructions with these things? They should.
Generally it is easier to drill through a line of grout, rather than
through the tile, if this will give you the desired height. The size
bit will be determined by the anchor you are using. You do want to
put adhesive (eg liquid nails) or silicone caulk into the hole before
installing anchor. The hardware supplied should allow slight
adjustment so that you can level the thing. Measure twice- at least-
drill once.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"mikeasmel" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Does anyone know how one mounts a towel rack or magazine rack that
| Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware sell onto ceramic tile in a
| bathroom? Do I have to drill and if so how and with what? Or is there
| some sort of special cement and if so, what is it called?

drill into tile (not grout joint) using a spade bit made for tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"3G" wrote in message ...

"mikeasmel" wrote in message
ps.com...
| Does anyone know how one mounts a towel rack or magazine rack that
| Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware sell onto ceramic tile in a
| bathroom? Do I have to drill and if so how and with what? Or is there
| some sort of special cement and if so, what is it called?

drill into tile (not grout joint) using a spade bit made for tile.

You can get special bits for drilling tile -- they come in a variety
of sizes and have a spear-like point. Not too expensive and they
work well. Go slowly; oil the bit frequently with a light weight
oil; and carefully use a center punch to dimple the tile surface
before you start (keeps the bit from wandering and helps prevent
the tile from chipping).

remove towel rack fixed to tile wall david Home Repair 3 July 5th 06 03:49 PM
ceramic towel rack to ceramic wall dk Home Repair 8 December 11th 05 04:26 AM
Bathroom magazine rack plans? OldGuy Woodworking 2 September 23rd 05 03:22 PM
OVAL MAGAZINE RACK J T Woodworking 0 July 25th 05 06:56 AM
Broken towel rack Jen Home Repair 7 December 30th 03 03:08 PM