Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Wood rack cover

"Jim" wrote in message
In need of creating a roof of sorts for a firewood rack. Trying to find
that happy median between durability and cost.

At the moment I'm leaning towards 3/4x4x8 BC pine plywood. This will be
covered by green tarps of which I have many.

Is there a different type of plywood or panel I should consider instead?

Also curious about corrugated plastic roof panels. Anyone use them for
similar projects?

The actual steel metal sheeting they have at the Borgs makes a fine cover.
Some of the better ones actually have up to eleven levels of coatings on
them, and you can buy ridge cap and edging to make a really professional
little wood shelter. It is about $1.25 per foot, and that would amount to 3
square foot. So, a guy could make a nice metal cover for two sheets, and
some trim, translates out to about $50. If you can weld, you can
incorporate a metal frame of 1" x 1" .065" square tube at about $.60 per
lineal foot.

It is what I am going to be making for my firewood this year, but it will be
a larger version, as I have about 100 sheets of 12' long sheeting, and
hundreds of feet of 1" square tube, and a supplier of cheap trim. I shall
just have to go buy some ridge cap.

Consider wrapping three sides to keep the wind from blowing snow or rain
into the wood, and other considerations as to where this will set so that
you will have a dry supply of wood.

A word of caution: Wood is a preferred home of brown recluse spiders and
other nasty critters. Poison can be spread so that it is on the flooring,
and all around the wood, but avoid spraying the wood directly, as you are
going to burn said wood. Adhesive spider traps have no toxic agents. Watch
your wood for signs of mold, and other deterioration, and deal with it.
Make your rack so that there is some allowance for air to circulate around
it, which will help it keep dry, and keep down on mold and "stuff".

This summer we shall go get our obligatory 5 cords for $20 from the BLM. We
ran out last winter, and that ain't gonna happen again, even if I have to
make a special wood shed.

HTH

Steve

HTH